Tobio

Joined: 26th September 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Tobio
i-Berg wrote:
One of your cropping options might be to isolate the adult bird/s? If you have concerns about wounds on the young, you could try clone / heal tools (pardon the pun!), or take pics of just the adults until those wounds heal themselves.
Thanks for your comment Yes isolating the birds would work also I believe, but for these photos I wanted them to be together as I feel that it works here because of the fish 'present', at least on the first photo. I only had concerns about the wounds because I was feeling sorry for them, but now I think it might be a good idea to remove the red as it might interfere the photo some way.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Great crested crebes (about 200 Kilobytes altogether) at 07/07/2010 - 09:20

Tobio
Cuchulainn wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

The bird was the point of the image for me - I like its disregard for the pomp of the statue it's resting on I didn't want to crop it more tightly though as then it would be just another seagull shot.
I see. Now that I look at the photo from another perspective the photo looks funny thanks to that bird so I'd say it's a keeper.

P.S. You still might want to take a bit from the top off. Bit empty space there, though the sky is beautiful too.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Shots from my latest lens! at 06/07/2010 - 16:38

Tobio
Thanks for the comment. I only got so close, because I was sitting close to a place many bird seems to favor when they are looking for fish. Now I noticed there is some white spots on the photos, I think it's water splashes or dust on the lens. Well I'll clone them out from the bigger photos, but I'll leave these photos like they are.

Algernon wrote:

They all seem to have that red spot on the side. No idea what it is. They do have quite ugly markings on the young.
They have red spots on the top of their heads too which might be wounds.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Great crested crebes (about 200 Kilobytes altogether) at 06/07/2010 - 14:41

Tobio
All of these photos look good to me. On the last one where the bird stands on the head of that statue I might have cloned the bird out as it's a minor distraction. On the other hand this way the photo is more realistic. Not sure which way is better though. Anyway, I like the photos, good image quality and composition and the lens does great work.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Shots from my latest lens! at 06/07/2010 - 14:23

Tobio
Hi!

Caught these when I was on a bird hunt armed with my K20d and the da 55-300 (I used f/9, spot metering, 300mm, 1/800s, iso 320 in both shots). I sat down for 2 hours and got my best Great crested crebe-shots this far. Unfortunately I noticed there was a red, wound like spot on each of the tiny ones' head. Not sure if they are wounds or not. Anyway, c&c welcome especially on the cropping because I was somewhat unsure how to best do that.

Tobio

[IMG]http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab111/Foto_Buck/Greatcrestedcrebes2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab111/Foto_Buck/Greatcrestedcrebes.jpg[/IMG]

Comment by Tobio posted on Great crested crebes (about 200 Kilobytes altogether) at 06/07/2010 - 13:37

Tobio
Then again ,some people think differently to others. What others find as great is to others just average. Perhaps I just have poor taste but sometimes when I watch certain, supposedly 'master level' photos they look to me more like 'not bad'.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on In defence of the series at 27/06/2010 - 20:15

Tobio
I think robbie_d has spoken some words of wisdom here. I agree with what he said, though I must say I sometimes take critique in a wrong way and I sometimes give quick fire critique that misses.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on One picture at a time, please at 25/06/2010 - 22:20

Tobio
I like this photo. Alternative route would have been to take photo from the left side that is lighted by the sun, but this way there is more certain atmospheric qualities in the photo, which I feel works better here. Perhaps putting more contrast would increase the dramatic feel here, though I've been criticized for putting too much contrast in my photos so I may be wrong. Also my monitors are not the best so that may influence what I see. Just my two and a half cents.

P.S. To me the thing in the top looks like a pine cone.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on tomb at 25/06/2010 - 11:42

Tobio
Thanks for your comment and insight too, Andrew, and of course for your great crop suggestion that I decided not to imitate because I think I better do things my style though it may not please everyone. In this case most comments seemed to be unfavorable towards my style, even I was a bit unsure of it.

Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Little bridge at 19/06/2010 - 18:10

Tobio
Thanks for your comment and insight Argee.
Regards,
Tobio

Comment by Tobio posted on Little bridge at 19/06/2010 - 17:31

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo