RAW or JPG shootout (handbags at dawn)

Sprocketdog23

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 18:58
A minor debate I know, but it would be interesting to hear the views of Pentax User forum members on the benefits or otherwise of your preferences and why you shoot in RAW or JPG, or whether you always use RAW+ (hey.....but if you do - which one do you actually use)?

BTW- this is not really serious, just light fun, so what's your reasons for one or the other??

Personally, I shoot JPG with only occasional forays into RAW land, as my interests always evolves around attempting to achieve a certain look to an image whilst on a photo shoot. That's the fun part for me, not in the PP stage. Also, because I want to spend as little time in PP as possible, it means I really have to get to know how my camera behaves and how to get the most out of it..... and if I can't get the WB & exposure and colour and tone right on a photo-shoot, then I maybe I don't deserve a camera such as my K-5 (thats a challenge to photographers who shoot RAW because they have no idea about how to operate their camera!!). Anyway, jpg's take up less room on my hard drive, and I'm on a very lowly Mac-Mini 1.5 solo, so not exactly cutting edge. The K-5 jpg engine seems pretty good to me, so I don't see the purpose of RAW for everyday use??
'The best camera you ever have is the one in your hand'

snappychappy

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:02
RAW gives more flexibility in editing than jpeg, simples.
My piccies.

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:08
Always RAW for the same reason as snappychappy. Also you lose so much detail from a JPEG in the highlights and dark areas whereas in RAW the detail is there waiting for you to pull it out in PP.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

sterretje

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:17
RAW+; I usually use the jpegs but I like the option to use the raw version if I have/want to.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)

johnwhit

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:23
RAW (DNG) for flexibility when processing, there's so much more information available and DNG allows me to transport images between home and work computers.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

fatspider

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:24
RAW+ but I very rarely use the RAW files, my philosophy is if you get it right in the camera you shouldn't need a RAW file, I think digital has made a lot of photographers complacent with regards to exposure etc, I'm probably just as guilty.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

woodworm

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:31
RAW (DNG) for me. I quite enjoy the tweaking afterwards

AndrewA

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:34
RAW DNG always, allows the best for pp tweaks.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

cabstar

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:48
Sprocketdog23 wrote:
A minor debate I know, but it would be interesting to hear the views of Pentax User forum members on the benefits or otherwise of your preferences and why you shoot in RAW or JPG, or whether you always use RAW+ (hey.....but if you do - which one do you actually use)?

BTW- this is not really serious, just light fun,

. and if I can't get the WB & exposure and colour and tone right on a photo-shoot, then I maybe I don't deserve a camera such as my K-5 (thats a challenge to photographers who shoot RAW because they have no idea about how to operate their camera?

Sorry I shoot raw permanantly. Guess I have no idea about photographyvthen do I???
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

cabstar

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 19:51
Btw you must be the best photographer in the world if you can see your image is perfect from the LCD...
Concert photography

Sprocketdog23

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 20:10
cabstar wrote:
Btw you must be the best photographer in the world if you can see your image is perfect from the LCD...

No, I definitely can't do that LOL.... it was just a light hearted comment to get the debate going.
'The best camera you ever have is the one in your hand'

dougf8

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 20:11
It depends.

JPG when it doesn't matter too much.

Now I have Lightroom, RAW seems a heck of a lot more easy and fruitful. Silkypix has a terrible UI, PS is overkill. PSE doesn't cut it.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 01/01/2012 - 20:14

cabstar

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 20:13
I still don't know how to work my camera though
Concert photography

judderman62

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 21:34
cabstar wrote:
Sprocketdog23 wrote:

BTW- this is not really serious, just light fun,

. and if I can't get the WB & exposure and colour and tone right on a photo-shoot, then I maybe I don't deserve a camera such as my K-5 (thats a challenge to photographers who shoot RAW because they have no idea about how to operate their camera?

Sorry I shoot raw permanantly. Guess I have no idea about photographyvthen do I???

^^^ what he said
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

NaimKhan

Link Posted 01/01/2012 - 21:47
RAW+ for me.
PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.