Sry

Joined: 22nd March 2018

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Sry
Very nice images, they are a definite invitation to the discovery of this region. I like #6 in particuliar.

Comment by Sry posted on 12 from the Lake District at 26/05/2018 - 23:58

Sry
A very intriguing set. I find I'm looking mainly at the colours in these, and am awed by how they blend and flow into each other. I have a preference for those with softer lines/textures (11 and 12, say, as opposed to 5 and 7). Your whole Hebrides series has been a feast for the eyes and soul. And all done with quiet elegance...

Comment by Sry posted on Outer Hebrides - ICM/Multiple Exposures at 25/05/2018 - 21:55

Sry
pschlute wrote:
Those two are absolute crackers.
Thank you kindly, Peter.

derek897 wrote:
That last one is wall worthy. Great shooting
Thanks Derek. I had fun coming up with a solution for the last one (misfocused and not well exposed) but wouldn't bet on its making it to print Glad you like it, though

thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Very nice again... there’s a lovely sense of emptiness to the last few shots particularly...


Thank you, Bill. Quite the type of feeling I was looking for indeed.

Quote:
a rather nostalgic feeling of what once was, if you see what I mean...
I do. Kahtleen Raine's "The Wilderness" crept up on me more than once during our sojourn...

I came too late to the hills: they were swept bare
Winters before I was born of song and story,
Of spell or speech with power of oracle or invocation,

The great ash long dead by a roofless house, its branches rotten,
The voice of the crows an inarticulate cry,
And from the wells and springs the holy water ebbed away.

A child I ran in the wind on a withered moor
Crying out after those great presences who were not there,
Long lost in the forgetfulness of the forgotten.

Only the archaic forms themselves could tell!
In sacred speech of hoodie on gray stone, or hawk in air,
Of Eden where the lonely rowan bends over the dark pool.

Yet I have glimpsed the bright mountain behind the mountain,
Knowledge under the leaves, tasted the bitter berries red,
Drunk water cold and clear from an inexhaustible hidden fountain.


A poem I set to music along with several others of Raine's - sadly, they were (politely yet unnervingly) rejected by her literary executor when I asked for permission to perform/record them...

Comment by Sry posted on Irish landscapes at 23/05/2018 - 23:01

Sry
#1 has my preference for its soothing quality. And #2 has character, another worthy quality.

Comment by Sry posted on First proper outing with the K1 and also the Tokina 20-35mm at 22/05/2018 - 22:49

Sry
And two more, taken at the same time on the same day. Some extreme (for me) post-processing for the colour one.

Comment Image


Comment Image

Comment by Sry posted on Irish landscapes at 22/05/2018 - 22:01

Sry
Pentaxophile wrote:
your work seems to distill a place down to it's essential beauty.
Very well said and I wholeheartedly share this assessment.

In this series, n° 8 brings a welcome change of pace, yet fits in perfectly with the rest of the landscapes. The waves, to me, don't fit in the same way - I enjoy them for what they are, but don't feel they would necessarily have been photographed in a specific geographic place. They are, however, in the same emotional space.

I would love to see these in print.

Comment by Sry posted on Outer Hebrides - Blues at 17/05/2018 - 21:37

Sry
Thank you Rob. When I print I like the paper to be seen, so I leave a wide margin (20x30 image goes on a 30x40 sheet of paper) and frame it without a mat. For internet purposes adding a wide white margin doesn't seem to work so I add the very thin black frame so as not to let the image simply sit on whatever the viewing background will be.

Comment by Sry posted on Sunset and dusk aboard the Epsilon at 14/05/2018 - 11:48

Sry
Thank you, David. The silhouettes are my daughter and her boyfriend, so yes, definitely something personal there.

Comment by Sry posted on Sunset and dusk aboard the Epsilon at 13/05/2018 - 21:25

Sry
The second one works wonders for me. I've never shot such wide FOV's, I'm sure I'd be a bit overwhelmed at first.

Comment by Sry posted on 17-28mm Fisheye Zoom at 13/05/2018 - 21:18

Sry
I like that very much. Good work on the PP!

Comment by Sry posted on Pilrim's Way Holy Island at 13/05/2018 - 21:10

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo