spinno

Joined: 3rd October 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

spinno
mdc wrote:

Comment Image

Shot with 18-55mm WR in a moving car (she was driving).

hopefully not like that all the time....

Comment by spinno posted on [Mini-Review] My New Pentax K-7 at 08/10/2011 - 15:28

spinno
GMatthews wrote:
Having a website seems to have brought a sudden and unexpected interest/confidence in my apparent ability to take a reasonable photo.
errr...who says so?
Quote:

If I can take a decent landscape then I must obviously be skilled enough to take on this simple but slightly more important marital challenge.
yeah I can paint a wall with some dulux...qualifies me to do the Sistine Chapel
Quote:
Maybe so, but what do we amateurs charge to do a wedding? We obviously want to be cheaper than a pro but, presumably, not undervalue ourselves.
..never undersell yourself
Quote:

I read with interest the recent post about not getting High Street labs involved in the printing process. Whilst I can see the profit potential
haha now we are getting there...
Quote:
of retaining the original files, my thoughts are that I would just provide a DVD and leave the printing to the happy couple...
sensible idea...your idea of a decent set of photo's might be different to theirs...they might like a photobook better than an album....great thinking
Quote:
now with a couple of caveats
which are?
Quote:
thanks to the advice here.
I am not advising you just making honest obervations
Quote:

That just leaves a charge for the day then!
as Del Boy would say....the world is your lobster Rodney

To be honest I have photographed family weddings....it's slightly easier than doing a complete strangers wedding, at least you know some if not all the people there and that helps.
You will need people skills....you will need to be able to control an unruly mob with all the diplomatic skills of Henry Kissinger...you will need enough energy to power the National Grid for a fortnight...you will need the patience of a saint and above all you will need (invariably) to keep the bride's mother from wishing to kill you.
Simple really.
If you have a desire to enter the market why not shadow a pro. I followed one at a wedding I went to and he was brilliant. He had all the people skills you could want and he even showed Aunty Vera how to get the good shots on her snappy snaps disposable film camera.
It can be done but think hard....I would love to do it..I think I can do it but do I want another nervous breakdown or heart attack ...no...once was enough in both cases.
Sorry if I seem harsh but it's about being realistic.

Comment by spinno posted on Weddings at 05/10/2011 - 10:25

spinno
Opethian wrote:
It's something that I really hope to do, and am already thinking of spots around London where I can try this out. Probably start out near Westminster Tube Station.
just be aware how close you are to the Houses of Parliament. You might get lots of MPs vying to have their photographs taken (let's not miss a photo opportunity eh) or you might get carted away if someone thinks you're a terrorist on a recce....

Comment by spinno posted on Tips/Guidelines - How to ask people/strangers (nicely) to get their photos taken. at 05/10/2011 - 10:07

spinno
greynolds999 wrote:
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
don't you want my bank account details - it would be far quicker

Comment by spinno posted on IS HE RIGHT ?? at 26/09/2011 - 13:02

spinno
Hi Lukeystan
Don't know where you're based but if you're here in Britain I have a couple of recommendations for you.
Film- Kodak 200 speed £1 at Poundland
Developing £2 a roll at ASDA plus 97p to have your film scanned to jpegs 1800 x 1200...prints extra.
Hope this helps

Comment by spinno posted on First time film user at 18/09/2011 - 17:23

spinno
davidtrout wrote:
gartmore wrote:
What do you do to it, all my gear is pretty much unscathed?
A quick rub with a brillo pad is quite effective in adding scratches. For a more dramatic appearance try using sandpaper.
Hope this helps,
David
orbital sander is much quicker and as a bonus if you leave the lens off you can get lots of dust on your sensor

Comment by spinno posted on Which armour for my K5? at 05/09/2011 - 14:25

spinno
NeilP wrote:
spinno wrote:
Now pay attention Bond.....this button operates the shutter and this ...well you get the idea .....brilliant.
What a non-sony product in Bond characters hand? Sony lawyers would have a field day! (Sony own MGM, you can tell by looking at all the product placement in the last 2 films!)
who makes the sensor?

Comment by spinno posted on Q for the Q at 31/08/2011 - 16:08

spinno
Now pay attention Bond.....this button operates the shutter and this ...well you get the idea .....brilliant.

Comment by spinno posted on Q for the Q at 30/08/2011 - 21:02

spinno
walkeja wrote:
or should that be, "Enhance eyes in Photoshop cheating"
...and your point is
as other have said enhancement is as old as the hills in photographic terms...even older in art...just because (maybe) the Mona Lisa doesn't appear to have moved while she sat for Leonardo doesn't mean she didn't....unless of course she was bored stiff....

Comment by spinno posted on Enhance eyes in Photoshop at 30/08/2011 - 15:49

spinno
Mike-P wrote:
Personally I have had a few jobs where I have thought company policy was barking mad but that's th way of the world sometimes .. and one of the reasons I eventually went self employed.
...and how is company policy nowadays

Comment by spinno posted on The Future of K5 Prices at 22/08/2011 - 08:28

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo