IS HE RIGHT ??
Posted 25/09/2011 - 21:36
Link
puma wrote:
I don’t know is he right
Nor do I.I don’t know is he right
But I hope he's better than his videographer.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 25/09/2011 - 22:14
Link
He's not a photographer, he's a saleman
Take note of what he says towards the back end of the video, words to the effect of if they take tis price list home you will never hear from them again that is a typical sales tactic in not giving the customer chance to think too long about what they are paying.
Take note of what he says towards the back end of the video, words to the effect of if they take tis price list home you will never hear from them again that is a typical sales tactic in not giving the customer chance to think too long about what they are paying.
Posted 25/09/2011 - 23:06
Link
Shaun, I've spent all of my working life in the Retail Motor Industry (please don't judge me for this) and the tactics the American Gent is speaking about are identical to those used in car sales. The point is that it's not whether or not it is ethical to give out prices, it is about the way that a buyers mind works when you do give them a price. Most (not all) people who buy things will tend to weigh their decisions more on price than anything else, even putting price above quality.
Therefore, if you give out prices too freely, the likelyhood is that price will be the first question the buyer will ask when they speak to another photographer, and the first question for the one after that etc.
I suspect this will be a factor more when choosing photographers than for many other purchases as photography is a bit intangible. You can see a picture or pictures to give examples of a photographers work, but how do you know that the ones they do for you will turn out the same?
This happened to my wife and myself when we decided on a wedding photographer. The examples shown were great, but the real pictures were apalling. In a nutshell, I think that what the American fellow is saying is accurate.
Regards
David
PS - I'm not a photographer, so I am approaching your question from a neutral point of view.
Therefore, if you give out prices too freely, the likelyhood is that price will be the first question the buyer will ask when they speak to another photographer, and the first question for the one after that etc.
I suspect this will be a factor more when choosing photographers than for many other purchases as photography is a bit intangible. You can see a picture or pictures to give examples of a photographers work, but how do you know that the ones they do for you will turn out the same?
This happened to my wife and myself when we decided on a wedding photographer. The examples shown were great, but the real pictures were apalling. In a nutshell, I think that what the American fellow is saying is accurate.
Regards
David
PS - I'm not a photographer, so I am approaching your question from a neutral point of view.
Posted 25/09/2011 - 23:29
Link
Nice of him to share all these top 'Secrets' of the biz.
I was wondering where it was leading to, eventually it leads to the bottom of his website and a 'More Secrects Book! for only 99 bucks! - LOL
I think this might be the 'real great living' he's making from photography.
I was wondering where it was leading to, eventually it leads to the bottom of his website and a 'More Secrects Book! for only 99 bucks! - LOL
I think this might be the 'real great living' he's making from photography.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Posted 25/09/2011 - 23:36
Link
Dodge69 wrote:
Nice of him to share all these top 'Secrets' of the biz.
I was wondering where it was leading to, eventually it leads to the bottom of his website and a 'More Secrects Book! for only 99 bucks! - LOL
I think this might be the 'real great living' he's making from photography.
Sean, I agree with your comments, but notwithstanding them he is giving correct advice when it comes to effective selling.Nice of him to share all these top 'Secrets' of the biz.
I was wondering where it was leading to, eventually it leads to the bottom of his website and a 'More Secrects Book! for only 99 bucks! - LOL
I think this might be the 'real great living' he's making from photography.
Regards
David
Posted 26/09/2011 - 07:35
Link
I don't give out a printed price list either, stopped doing it long ago. With brides I establish a relationship by asking about their wedding plans, when I know what the venue is and how many guests are coming I can price according to what I reckon their budget is. If you give them a pricelist they'll go off and compare you to a cheaper guy who promises 800 pictures and he'll get the job. Wedding photography is far too complicated to have 'packages' and people like the idea of something bespoke.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 26/09/2011 - 09:02
Link
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
Posted 26/09/2011 - 12:55
Link
greynolds999 wrote:
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
LOL
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Posted 26/09/2011 - 13:02
Link
greynolds999 wrote:
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
don't you want my bank account details - it would be far quicker
However, if anyone would like to know how to make £1,000 without doing any real work, please send me a cheque for £1,000 and I will let you in on the secret!
David
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1563 posts
16 years