spbatt

Joined: 1st April 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

spbatt
Does anyone know of a website for Takumar screw mount lenses that is similar to Stans or Alex's?

I am building a small, working collection of these wonderfully built lenses and so far have the following: smc takumar 24mm f/3.5, super takumar 35mm f/3.5, smc takumar 50mm f/1.4, super takumar 105mm f/2.8, smc takumar 135mm f/2.5, smc takumar 400mm f/5.6. I also have a radio-active super takumar 50mm f/1.4 (nice and yellow, possibly still ok for b/w shooting but dodgy all the same!). If anyone has experiences of any of the above or opinions on the best Takumar lenses ever designed then please share them.

I have just hit upon this site which is pretty good: http://www.shmgo-zwolle.nl/spotmatic/lenses2.htm

Regards
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Requesting opinions on Takumar lenses at 24/11/2004 - 08:15

spbatt
Hi Ang

Just to confirm! All Pentax 'K' lenses are useable on the *ist D as long as you have upgraded the firmware in the camera to 1.10 or above (most up-to-date updater is still at 1.11). I sometimes use SMC Takumar screwmount lenses on my *ist D with an Adapter K. Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Like people in this forum have commented on before... Which other major camera producer offers such backward compatibilty for its users?

Regards
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Help Please at 01/11/2004 - 14:05

spbatt
I already voted for the 'K' series, the KX in particular. Sometimes it is hard to quantify why you would put a KX above an MX or Super A, the build quality is wonderful for all of them. With the KX it is just a feeling I get from handling it and using it, part 'throw back' to the Spotmatic but with the 'K' mount instead of screw mount. It feels great, just like a classic camera should but aesthetically it is also a beauty. Form over function or function over form, well with the KX I feel that both are well balanced and that is why I rate it so highly.

I have not used a Spotmatic... yet.

Regards
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on My Favourite Pentax at 04/11/2004 - 11:38

spbatt
I have also been keeping an eye on this one. It didn't sell for its reserve first time around and now the reserve is a bit lower...

Although I still can't stretch to it - so tempting though!!!!!!

Regards

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Worth a look at 11/10/2004 - 09:38

spbatt
Testing complete. Very impressive, no vignetting at 18mm that I can tell. I have been staring in to the viewfinder to ascertain whether the corners were a touch darker but it doesn't seem like they are. This lens is useful.

S

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 12/11/2004 - 07:11

spbatt
Hi G (Georgy, Lazzie... )

You're right, I am selling a fair bit on ebay at the mo, I am cleaning out my cupboards for xmas.

When it came to listing my FAJ 18-35mm on ebay I tried to make sure I didn't mislead anyone as I was of the belief that it vignetted at the wide-end when used on a film SLR (I haven't tried it on a film SLR). If this is not the case then I will definitely go and add a bit extra to the listing. It is a super little lens though.

Why am I selling this super little lens? I have been lucky to get my hands on a 16-45mm and that is even better to my eye. According to the tests that MattMatic has done in a different thread, that lens does vignette quite a lot on a film camera.

I had better go and try it on a Super A now. No rest for the wicked.

Regards

Simon (Battie)

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 12/11/2004 - 06:54

spbatt
Thanks Kim

Crikey! I have that very same lens, an SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 - I must get a Geiger Counter so I can check its radioactivity levels. I often have blackouts when I use that lens.

I haven't seen those tools in the Micro Tools catalogue but I reckon the local B&Q might have some similar.

Also, I'm not a golfer but it looked like he had a good golf swing in picture A.

Regards
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 11/11/2004 - 16:56

spbatt
Hi Kim

An excellent idea for the website! I have trawled the net a few times now for articles on lens repair and it isn't well covered. I am proficient enough to write an article on how not to clean a lens. But, for all that I am at least getting more confident with every lens I break (I remind everyone that the lenses I operate on are uneconomical to send to a professional).

Anyway, the link to micro tools was a real break. I have got the spanner set and I have got the rubber bungs (I am not sure if this what you call 'bungees' or maybe it is the handi-grip below?) for removing the mostly plastic inner rings (the ones that often have the makers name and other info stamped into it). I have a few other items like the handi-grip too but I have hidden the catalogue now as it is too easy to order something else. It was almost incredible to find a company with so big a selection and be really good on delivery (they are based in Germany) so I recommend them. The spanner set is ok - I didn't buy the all-singing all-dancing one - it has so far done the job with ease.

You spent about 5hrs 50mins on that wide-angle lens then . And, you mentioning Michael Spencer... Do you think he will do correspondent courses by email? I would sign up for a term of lens cleaning and then I would take a term ot two in camera repair.

Regards
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 28/10/2004 - 23:34

spbatt
Thanks John . What a fantastic range of tools!! I have ordered the lens spanner pack and am now twiddling my thumbs until it arrives on my doorstep.

Regards,
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 01/10/2004 - 11:21

spbatt
Lens cleaning can be very hazardous to your health and wallet!!! I have only tried it on an old 50mm lens and like I said the results are still sitting in a drawer somewhere with a small part that didn't make it back inside!

I have now collected about 10 lenses that are uneconomical to have professionally cleaned, some of these have fungus inside the front or rear elements only. A lens spanner would, I hope, be useful for removing the front most optic without needing to fully dismantle the lens - on some lenses the rear element I think can also be removed with a lens spanner alone. Does any one know if I am correct about this?

It does not matter if a few lenses are sacrificed in the pursuit of my own cleaning experience - they are not of a general high quality (Hanimex etc.) - I just have a compulsive obsessive cleaning disorder that needs to be fed.

Lens spanner anyone?

Regards,
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Does any one know where lens spanners can be purchased? at 24/09/2004 - 21:25

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo