spbatt

Joined: 1st April 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

spbatt
Hello one and all

Just acquired one ot these, it wasn't cheap but not expensive either and it is in beautiful condition. I have never seen one of these come up for auction on eBay in the last 2 years so I am sure it is not so common. I also expect it is optically close to the M-series 100mm f/2.8 with probably a slightly different SMC formula. Has any one got one of these and if so what are the thoughts about it. I will be testing it in Amsterdam in a few days but until then all comments gratefully accepted...

Batty (spbatt)

Comment by spbatt posted on SMC PENTAX-A 100mm f/2.8... any thoughts? at 30/01/2006 - 12:02

spbatt
I will second G's comments... the SMC PENTAX A* 300/4 is simply superb. Even photos I've taken of boring everyday objects look amazing when taken with this lens. I mostly use it handheld. I will never sell mine unless I need to buy a new kidney (touch wood that does not happen!).

S

Comment by spbatt posted on SMC-A 300 f4 at 13/01/2006 - 10:03

spbatt
'Highly professional' is indeed high praise coming from a copywriter, a notoriously hard bunch to please

As for eBay pricing... I could maybe write a book on it. The high seasons, the low and the periods in between. The rise and fall of particular cameras and lenses (i.e. you could get an M-series pancake lens for £40 odd and now you can expect to pay double or more... is someone hoarding them out there?). This topic should be in its own thread. Maybe i'll start one soon.

S

Comment by spbatt posted on Metz flash in need of repair at 11/01/2006 - 11:10

spbatt
Thanks again G

It's nice to know that my portfolio of (eBay) product photography is appreciated by someone . I'd rather be sticking portrait shots on eBay and selling the people I photograph, portraits are a lot more enjoyable in my opinion . Unfortunately I have to bang on with the product shots. Sadly though... My old G3 350Mhz and monitor aren't on speaking terms any more so I am having to do everything ebay on a 12" 1.07Ghz iBook, it's giving me a right headache!! Still, I have just ordered a secondhand Powermac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz from an eBay shop so normal service will be resumed soon (If I can get the seller to pull his finger out!)

With regards to the FA 200, if I do I certainly will but I have never come across one yet... still it does give me a chance to tell the world that I have been using my A* 300/4 a lot recently (handheld on my *ist D) and it's simply perfect! (I know it's a tenuous link!)

Thanks for the number update G.

S (Batty)

Comment by spbatt posted on Metz flash in need of repair at 10/01/2006 - 13:49

spbatt
Thanks G! I think I will give them a ring this morning.

S

Comment by spbatt posted on Metz flash in need of repair at 06/01/2006 - 09:13

spbatt
Has anyone had any experience of having a Metz flash repaired? My Metz 45 is too good to bin so I have decided to send it off to someone who can resurrect it... just who I send it to is the question...

Any input gratefully received.

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Metz flash in need of repair at 05/01/2006 - 21:35

spbatt
For a walking around minimum kit that I pack in a LowePro holster...

Film:
MZ-S
Battery Grip
FA50 1.4 (with hood)

Digital...
*ist D
DA16-45


On standby if I take my backpack out:

TAMRON SP 90 2.8 (the only non-Pentax lens I swear by)
K30 2.8
A*300 4 (a beauty but it is a proper chunky monkey)
F70-210
FA24-90 (I haven't fully tested this lens yet)

KX or MX? For sheer beauty the KX gets my vote but for absolute reliability then it would be the MX.

Good challenge John.

Comment by spbatt posted on The Bare Bones at 30/06/2006 - 17:19

spbatt
Hi all

I will stick my oar in on behalf of the MZ-S. I have just bought an MZ-S body in lovely condition with battery grip to see if I could/should use it in preference to my MZ-5n (as I am back shooting nearly as many shots with film as with my digital *ist D).

First impressions... what an amazing and unique camera! From the ergonomics to the feature set there is nothing superflous, it is pro-spec camera that does exactly what it's meant to without selling out to the 'specification junkies' out there. I can imagine if the list of specifications of a Canon EOS 3, Nikon F100 and the Pentax MZ-S were printed side by side then many heads would probably be turned by the long lists of 'interesting' sounding features of the other 2 but that is missing the point of the MZ-S. I feel Canon and Nikon differentiate themselves from one another by besting one another by constantly coming up with new features. I tried that route with a Nikon F80s a couple of years ago and sold it 3 months later for a more intuitive camera, and some might say more traditional camera, and so I hopped on to the Pentax path once more as I feel they take and have always taken a more purist (puritan?) approach to camera design.

I had an 18-35mm FAJ lens that came with my *ist D, I sold it fairly quickly even though it displayed decent optical quality. I do not want my lenses to come without an aperture ring, I like it too much to lose it.

I do not see the price of the MZ-S coming down and down. Firstly it is the last of the great Pentax 35mm SLR flagship cameras and there aren't huge amounts of them out there. There will be 35mm film for many years to come and this is my new prefered choice for shooting it on (I have used the MX, LX, Super A and MZ-5n to name but 4 and I love them all but the MZ-S is my newly realised idea of camera heaven!).

S

Comment by spbatt posted on MZ-S at 28/12/2005 - 21:40

spbatt
I bought a new FA50 f/1.4 from B&H in New York. They are selling them almost as quickly as they get them in stock so make sure to register your interest and they will automatically send you an email when they get more in (and even then you have to be quick!). Considering I chose a fairly rapid delivery option to the UK (about a week) the total cost was a shade under £150 with the current exchange rates. I am delighted with it

The F50 f/1.7 is also a little marvel, I used mine more than any other lens... until the FA50 arrived, beautiful results.

All the best,
spbatt

Comment by spbatt posted on Looking to buy Pentax FA 50mm F1.4 at 18/09/2005 - 14:47

spbatt
Arthur Dent's location may have also provided a clue George! But then I didn't get it either. I thought it must be his age, sorry Arthur!

I have recently begun to use a K 30/2.8 on my *ist D. I had initially dismissed using K and M lenses as being 'fiddly' and cumbersome compared to the modern high-spec nature of the camera itself, it was just a feeling. Yet now, I think I understand the *ist D a little more and have grown acustomed to it I find myself using it more and more like an older manual camera, I'm even using a separate light meter at present. It could be a phase I'm going through. . By the way, I am really appreciating the 30mm.

------------------------
38

Comment by spbatt posted on M lens functionality on *ist DS: How much? at 29/07/2005 - 21:45

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo