Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

MZ-S

blueduck
Posted 15/10/2005 - 19:31 Link
Hi everybody,

I have a totaly stupid question: After years of Z1 and Z1p I have bought an MZ-S. Well, not quite as my good old ones, but.... at least ligther and less plastic.
I have two Sigma-lenses without an aperture ring. Please tell me that I can still find somewhere a Pentax function that allows me to do that.....!? If not, I directly sell that stupid little box!.

Cheers,
Tanya
johnriley
Posted 15/10/2005 - 20:14 Link
Hi Tanya

I think you are asking how to use lenses without an aperture ring on the MZ-S?

You should be able to use them in program mode (camera sets aperture and shutter speed) and in shutter priority mode (you set shutter speed, camera sets aperture) You can't use any mode where you would set the aperture...because there isn't one to set on the lens.

But that should be no different with this camera than with the Z series?
Best regards, John
mattie
Posted 17/10/2005 - 14:41 Link
johnriley wrote:
Hi Tanya

I think you are asking how to use lenses without an aperture ring on the MZ-S?

You should be able to use them in program mode (camera sets aperture and shutter speed) and in shutter priority mode (you set shutter speed, camera sets aperture) You can't use any mode where you would set the aperture...because there isn't one to set on the lens.

But that should be no different with this camera than with the Z series?

Hi Tanya

Just to expand upon John's comments quoted above.

Some of the lower-specced MZ cameras (such as the MZ-50) only allow the aperture to be controlled via the body, where the aperture ring must be on 'A', so older k-mounts won't work properly.

For the higher-spec cameras this method of aperture selection is not used. My understanding is that the MZ-S follows the majority of other high-end MZ series cameras (such as MZ-5 and MZ-3) and requires aperture to be controlled using the aperture ring, and where putting the aperture ring into 'A' allows the body to take control of the aperture for shutter-priority or program modes. Note, once the aperture ring is in 'A' the user has no direct control over aperture. The Z1-p allows you to use either method, where aperture can be selected from the aperture ring or by the body. It therefore has controls for aperture, and a lever in the lens mount that can read the selected aperture should the aperture be selected by the ring.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, as I don't have the MZ-S, but I believe the question is whether a Pentax custom function will allow the camera body to somehow control lenses without aperture ring - there is a custom function for the *istD that allows k-mount lenses to be used, but this doesn't require a seperate control, however this shows that Pentax do use custom functions to increase functionality, not just to personalise control systems.

My feeling is that there is no control available on the MZ-S for such a facility, even if it were possible to specifiy a custom function, however I have only limited understanding and experience of the MZ-S so I can't say for sure.

Any comments or corrections from other board members welcomed.

Matt
Kim C
Posted 17/10/2005 - 15:14 Link
Hi,
I do use an MZ-S and have the manual in front of me. There is no custom function to allow the setting of aperture from the body. The FA-J lenses came out after the manual was printed and so there is no reference there. Effectively the lens acts as though it were an FA lens locked permanently in the A position. This means that you can use shutter priority and programed exposure modes. You cannot use aperture priority or full manual. Hope this helps. If you need a copy of the manual, you can get it from the Pentax USA site or hopefuly I will get a decent copy uploaded to my website at www.pentax-manuals.com in the very near future.

However, if you want a particular aperture it is very easy to do. Use the normal automatic mode. Half press the shutter release and see what the automatics give you, You can then "shift" the program line with the wheel on the front. If the light conditions change, the camera will keep the aperture and shift the speed. If you want to go back to full programed mode, press the green button. This effectively gives you an aperture priority mode and is quicker and easier than the Z. The only thing you cannot do is switch the camera "on" in aperture priority mode witha J lens. For full manual with a J, I think you will have to use the exposure compensation. I will try it tonoight and post if there is another way. (I only have one J lens and that tends to get used on the D)

As to getiing rid of that box, there was some interesting discussions on this board a while ago about the merits of the MZ-S against the Z1P. I find the MZ-S easier to use and although it doesn't have all the functions of the Z1P, it does have a much beter meter system and faster autofocus.. I would give it a fair chance before you make any decisions.

Kim
George Lazarette
Posted 17/10/2005 - 16:07 Link
Am I missing something? These are effectively FAJ lenses, which are simply lenses fixed on the A setting.

In Av mode on the MZ-S you set the aperture on the body, just as you would on the Z1-P, surely. What's the problem?

G
Kim C
Posted 17/10/2005 - 16:48 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Am I missing something? These are effectively FAJ lenses, which are simply lenses fixed on the A setting.

In Av mode on the MZ-S you set the aperture on the body, just as you would on the Z1-P, surely. What's the problem?

G

Hi George,
The problem is that on the MZ-S, the only way to select the Av mode or metered manual is to set the aperture on the lens. There is no direct way of doing it on the camera body. If you use a J lens, the camera will always switch on in program mode. If you turn the selector wheel, the camera trips to Tv mode. Using this you can select a specific aperture. If you want a particular setup in a difficult lighting setup, there is no easy way with a J and you have to use exposure compensation. In many ways it is a cross between the systems on the MZ3/5 and the Z1P. With anything but a J, I find it a very good way to work. In normal conditions, it is extremely easy to overide the automatics to get the setting you want and it trips back on a press of a button. In very difficult conditions, you can set the lens to the aperture you want, which is normally the more critical factor, and either work Av or as soon as you turn the wheel you are in metered manual and back in Av at the press of a button. This will always put you in the right ballpark unlike the 3's and 5's. The AF system is better and faster than the Z1P and I find the ergonomics much better and indeed flexible. Normally the handling is very much like the D's in feel. If you happen to like bulk, the battery grip will give it to you.

Kim
George Lazarette
Posted 18/10/2005 - 14:15 Link
Thanks, Kim. I understand. Another mark against the MZ-S. Extraordinary that it was so much less functional than its predecessor, despite its high price.

G
Kim C
Posted 18/10/2005 - 14:21 Link
Hi George,
I find the MZ-S very ergonomic and user friendly. The interesting thing is that there are lots of Z1Ps on the market and the price has fallen markedly to the extent you can get a near mint one for about £150. The MZ-Ss on the other hand are very difficult to find and if anything the prices have gone up and now cost about the same as an LX. Whether this is because many people prefer them or because not many people bought them in the first place is anyone's guess. (It would be much easier if you could find Pentax's marketing figures )

Kim
George Lazarette
Posted 18/10/2005 - 22:12 Link
Kim,

I suspect it's the latter reason. I do agree that the MZ-S had it's strengths (not least build quality), but at a time when the opposition was piling on the features, it was an odd decision to bring out a successor with a reduced feature set.

G
Kim C
Posted 18/10/2005 - 22:59 Link
In the words of the film, I knew you'd say that!

As well as the ergonomics, the thing I prefer most about the MZ-S is the speed and accuracy of the AF mech. I would rather have very good basics rather than some of the additional functions. I keep tying but I have yet to find someone who used the image size tracking/zoom clip functions and the such like. I have always found that the power zooming, despite it's 3 speeds to be a bit coarse. but then a lot will depend on how you like to work.

K
UncaMikey
Posted 19/10/2005 - 18:19 Link
Very interesting, I did not know that about the MZ-S. I own a *ist (film) and a couple of FA Js, and almost always shoot in Av mode. I wondered about upgrading to a MZ-S but now, I don't think so.

In any event, I think the *ist is quite underrated. It has very fast AF, great metering, and I love the small size. Not built as sturdily as I'd like, but then it's not nearly as expensive, either.
Anonymous
Posted 26/12/2005 - 22:56 Link
Would anybody like to buy my mint condition MZs? What is a reasonable price for the body only?
Joshua Hakin
Posted 27/12/2005 - 23:20 Link
Wow! I'm surprised at some of you!
The MZS is a killer camera! If you're judging the camera by the fact you can't use the junky FAJ lenses then you are really mixed up. Slap on any of the new Limited lenses or any of the thousands of manual focus lenses, F, FA... it's great combo!
Did the LX have aperture control built into the body? No. Does the LX suck!? NO! How did you set aperture priority for the past 30 years? You turn the aperture ring
It's the new non-aperture-ring lenses that need to be replaced, not the MZS.
niblue
Posted 28/12/2005 - 11:28 Link
Joshua Hakin wrote:
Wow! I'm surprised at some of you!
It's the new non-aperture-ring lenses that need to be replaced, not the MZS.

I'd tend to agree.

When I lived in Hong Kong I'd often see tourists buying top spec camera bodies such as the Z1p, Nikon F90x or Canon EOS-1 and then getting a cheap 28-200 zoom as their only lens. IMHO these camera bodies should be bought to complement great lenses not to have consumer zooms stuck on them.

I started off with a Z50p and a couple of powerzooms - 28-80 and 100-300 - which weren't very good. Eventually I replaced those with F2.8 zooms (Tokina ATX-Pro's) and then the Z1p. While I still love my Z1p the lenses are more important and they, plus my fast primes, while be in use long after it's been retired.
spbatt
Posted 28/12/2005 - 21:40 Link
Hi all

I will stick my oar in on behalf of the MZ-S. I have just bought an MZ-S body in lovely condition with battery grip to see if I could/should use it in preference to my MZ-5n (as I am back shooting nearly as many shots with film as with my digital *ist D).

First impressions... what an amazing and unique camera! From the ergonomics to the feature set there is nothing superflous, it is pro-spec camera that does exactly what it's meant to without selling out to the 'specification junkies' out there. I can imagine if the list of specifications of a Canon EOS 3, Nikon F100 and the Pentax MZ-S were printed side by side then many heads would probably be turned by the long lists of 'interesting' sounding features of the other 2 but that is missing the point of the MZ-S. I feel Canon and Nikon differentiate themselves from one another by besting one another by constantly coming up with new features. I tried that route with a Nikon F80s a couple of years ago and sold it 3 months later for a more intuitive camera, and some might say more traditional camera, and so I hopped on to the Pentax path once more as I feel they take and have always taken a more purist (puritan?) approach to camera design.

I had an 18-35mm FAJ lens that came with my *ist D, I sold it fairly quickly even though it displayed decent optical quality. I do not want my lenses to come without an aperture ring, I like it too much to lose it.

I do not see the price of the MZ-S coming down and down. Firstly it is the last of the great Pentax 35mm SLR flagship cameras and there aren't huge amounts of them out there. There will be 35mm film for many years to come and this is my new prefered choice for shooting it on (I have used the MX, LX, Super A and MZ-5n to name but 4 and I love them all but the MZ-S is my newly realised idea of camera heaven!).

S

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.