spbatt

Joined: 1st April 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

spbatt
Ok… I have taken a small considered risk and bought the 21mm f/3.2. Thanks for the 'heads up' SMC!

I feel the same way about sellers who can't string sentences together and have poor spelling etc. but this seller has got respectable/acceptable feedback, plus the fact that I want to try this lens out for myself and the fact that my finger started getting itchy when it hovered over the 'BIN' button.

I will keep this thread updated with any future joy/sorrow that results from this (slightly) impetuous purchase

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on 21mm f3.2 - HEADS UP £200 ON EBAY BIN at 25/05/2007 - 15:42

spbatt
Hi Don

Speaking from a graphic designers point of view… it aint too bad at all, I like everything about it except the text. I would (humbly) suggest removing all superfluous text from the image and use a sans serif text like Gill Sans to keep all the contact info and branding at the bottom. As you mentioned yourself, you could also swap the two smaller portraits for slightly different ones to show more variety.

I wouldn't emboss, I wouldn't print on foil but I would use a lovely matt varnish on a 200g (or thereabouts) stock (the matt varnish adds extra weight and a super professional finish). 'KISS' (keep it simple stupid) - no insult intended.

Great work and thanks for sharing!

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on feedback on this promo peice please... at 08/05/2007 - 18:53

spbatt
Yep! I am always interested in lighting workshops…

Please tell us more.


Regards,
Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Lighting at 05/04/2007 - 09:40

spbatt
Hi Don

I think the portrait is a stunner! I took a second take to make sure it wasn't an early Macaulay Culkin publicity shot. Great pose and capture!

I like the winter images below the portrait but the graphic design layout isn't my cup of tea, a bit messy IMHO.

I do agree with some of the other members that the borders detract from the subjects themselves. A clean tasteful border would make me much happier but it comes down to personal taste.

Keep up the good work,

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Throwing a couple photos out there for critique at 28/03/2007 - 16:48

spbatt
Hi Ken

You didn't say whether you set your DS's white balance to AWB or one of the manual WB settings (i.e flash).

As for dust/dirt on the sensor I do not believe there is any plug-in invented (yet) that will allow batch processing of affected images. I think you will need to spend a while manually removing it with the clone tool.

Regards,

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on white balance and other stuff at 07/03/2007 - 10:52

spbatt
Mac User magazine did a 'Hardware labs' of high resolution flat-panel monitors in its August '06 issue. The clear winner in the test was the DELL 2407FPW, the runner up was the LG Flatron L2000C. I have looked about on the web and the DELL screen can be bought for around £550. This is the screen that I will soon be buying to replace my very average Formac flat-panel. It is always a good idea to see a screen in action before you buy but with DELL and their direct sales methods this may prove difficult.

Good luck with whatever you do end up buying.

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Which monitor do you recommend? at 07/03/2007 - 08:23

spbatt
Thanks for sharing that Dexter. I for one am interested in how the K10D does in magazine reviews... I can't buy all the magazines afterall
(well I could but that would leave less money to spend on one of the new lenses ).

The reason I think all these reviews are interesting is that the more good reviews the K10D gets the more possible buyers the camera may have... the more possible buyers = equals better financial health for Pentax and more support from independants like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina etc. What's more important than that?

It's also interesting to note that no magazine has yet done a totally thorough review (IMHO) of the K10D... put all the reviews together however and it gets close.

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on K10D in "Sharp JPEGs" Shock! at 14/02/2007 - 11:59

spbatt
Hi Liam

I agree fully with G. It's a very good shot but the border is vying for the viewers attention.

Simon

Comment by spbatt posted on Spinnaker Sunset at 07/02/2007 - 09:20

spbatt
Hi Pete.

I just don't see any reason for bothering with any sharpening on that image of the fox. The image was no good at capture because of camera shake and no amount of time spent on trying to salvage it is worth it - try to reshoot it instead. As purely an example for using a different sharpening technique it still doesn't cut the mustard… any blurred image can be sharpened but it wont become a good image because of it. IMHO (and with 10+ years Photoshop experience) that is not a very good sharpening technique anyhow and you'd be much better checking out Matt's or Ben's technique posted on this very forum.

Regards,
Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on K10D - Wish list? at 13/04/2007 - 15:21

spbatt


An 'in-camera' Genie is now on my wishlist for PENTAX's next DSLR. Think how useful that could be... the mind boggles...

If the Genie granted me 3 wishes:

1) To be as good as Lartigue and Cartier-Bresson in one!

2) For PENTAX to buy CANON in a hostile takeover!

3) To have £10 million so I could indulge my hobby fully!

I'll probably think of 3 better wishes in another 10 minutes.

Comment by spbatt posted on K10D - Wish list? at 29/01/2007 - 20:56

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo