philstaff

Joined: 27th April 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

philstaff
JAK wrote:
If you play the video with VLC it has the facility to take a frame grab.
It's really simple: Menu option 'Video' > 'Take Snapshot'.

It can also be done in camera, e.g. with a K-3, play the movie, pause, and press AE-L (check the manual.)
Not sure if this will work with the KR but will check thanks

Ian

Comment by philstaff posted on Still image from video. at 15/07/2017 - 20:07

philstaff
Hi is it possible to save a still image from a video clip with Pentax. If so can someone point to a tutorial please.

Regards Ian

Comment by philstaff posted on Still image from video. at 15/07/2017 - 15:28

philstaff
ronniemac wrote:
Ian, I guess if you are posting the question, then you are probably asking for encouragement to upgrade. I agree with the above comments, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in print quality or indeed screen quality of images. It upgrading won't make you a better photographer, anyway, that's clearly not a problem. In any case, it is generally recognised that upgrading lenses can do more for one photography than changing bodies. Having said all that, there are other issues that might be worth thinking about. Let's imagine you upgraded to a K-70 - it's the best value for money new Pentax that is currently in the shops at under £600.

You have identified weather resistance - that's a big plus if you don't mind getting yourself wet. For landscape photography this is a fantastic Pentax feature - but of course needs these WR lenses to make any sense.
The adjustable rear screen is a feature that for me was well worth upgrading for. (also folds in when not in use so is protected)
Improved video resolution might be a consideration
Better low light capability (much higher iso)
More pixels (twice as many) means better cropping options + its a bit like a built in telephoto zoom
Pentaprism always betters mirror in viewfinder (KR) because it is larger and brighter
Focus peaking - especially useful with manual focus lenses
Wi-fi if you want it
Nicer grip
Not more autofocus points but sensitivity improved from -1 to -3 EV
More options in menu
Sharper pics because no anti-aliasing filter
Bigger +/- bracketing range
Pixel shift for super resolution low noise still images
Any colour as long as its black
but most important of all, it does great selfies!

Now if none of the above attracts you, stick with the camera you have and treat yourself to something else.

Only K-r > K-70 drawback I can think of is that it is slightly heavier (+90g)

Now I don't own a K-70, but it combines most of the best features of two which I have - K-S2 and K-3ii. so in a way you get two good cameras in one!

Having said all that, look first at your lenses and ask if they are giving you what you want.
Thank you for that feed back some very good points made. I am happy with my lenses to date. Although some of the sigma lenses have also tempted me. I have a selection of old manual lenses which in my opinion give me good results. Obviously if when I do upgrade then I would have to look at WR lenses.
Regards Ian

Comment by philstaff posted on Do we need nother camera at 13/07/2017 - 23:12

philstaff
McGregNi wrote:
Only if it feels like being stuck I imagine .... I'm stuck with Pentax but it doesn't feel like being stuck, so it's a good thing
I am happy to. I have all the kit I need and some day will upgrade to a higher speck model

Comment by philstaff posted on Do we need nother camera at 13/07/2017 - 22:21

philstaff
McGregNi wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
......Finally the way prices have gone this year I think all of us will be hanging on to kit for much longer. Even Jules.
Yes, but this time the cycle has come round right for him .... He'll be stuck with Pentax!
Is being stuck with pentax a bad thing ?.

Comment by philstaff posted on Do we need nother camera at 13/07/2017 - 21:44

philstaff
swarf wrote:
I agree with John when he says "I'm not sure that if one's current camera does what one wants it needs to be replaced."

However, I upgraded 4 years ago from a K-r to a K-5iis, and i justified to myself for two reasons. Firstly, I wanted the WR features of the K-5iis, and secondly I wanted better low light capabilities. I got both, and also a marked increase in image quality.

Am I tempted to upgrade again? Not at the moment, but I would never say never!

Phil
The weather sealing on more advanced cameras. Was a reason I thought of regarding an upgrade.

Comment by philstaff posted on Do we need nother camera at 13/07/2017 - 16:35

philstaff
I have been tempted recently to up grade my KR. Which at the beginning I was not doing great with. However in time I learnt my way round the camera and have had some nice results. I' if ever; hardly print photo's. If I do usually these will be 10x8. I can not really justify spending more money on an upgrade so will probably quench my desire to do so. Has members upgraded and been disappointed ?. Also do we really know our cameras capabilities and get the max from them before considering an upgrade. I have seen a few cases of cameras and lenses. Up for sale not many months after the new models were marketed. Just a few thoughts. Below a photo taken with the K100 D and the SMC M 50mm 1.7 which a few saw on the pic's section. I think it shows you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent photo.
regards Ian

Comment Image

Comment by philstaff posted on Do we need nother camera at 13/07/2017 - 15:26

philstaff
Scenes from Roker lighthouse.
Comment Image


Comment Image

Comment by philstaff posted on Scenes from Roker lighthouse Sunderland at 13/07/2017 - 10:03

philstaff
Nice capture of her.

Regards Ian

Comment by philstaff posted on Butterfly Face at 11/07/2017 - 21:52

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo