Do we need nother camera

philstaff

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 15:26
I have been tempted recently to up grade my KR. Which at the beginning I was not doing great with. However in time I learnt my way round the camera and have had some nice results. I' if ever; hardly print photo's. If I do usually these will be 10x8. I can not really justify spending more money on an upgrade so will probably quench my desire to do so. Has members upgraded and been disappointed ?. Also do we really know our cameras capabilities and get the max from them before considering an upgrade. I have seen a few cases of cameras and lenses. Up for sale not many months after the new models were marketed. Just a few thoughts. Below a photo taken with the K100 D and the SMC M 50mm 1.7 which a few saw on the pic's section. I think it shows you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent photo.
regards Ian

JAK

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 16:01
Wow, that's 11 years old now and looks great.
I'm not sure that if one's current camera does what one wants it needs to be replaced. Newer cameras do have more advanced features though so many get tempted by them. So need to update? No. Like to update? Yes!
John K

Helpful

wvbarnes

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 16:22
Hi Ian,

If your camera works that well for you, 'no' is my answer. my KR is still in use in the hands of my son in law. i didn't like the mirror instead of a pentaprism or the dust getting in when abroad especially. I found the K5 took a long while to get used to BUT the K3 was easy after that as it was so similar.

Do i like my current K3II, 55- 300 PLM responsive quiet telephoto lens and my recent purchased used 20 - 40mm 'yes'.
Do i take better pics than when i had a KR. Hopefully but only because I get a lot of practice.
Cropping wildlife from 24 megapixels and faster autofocus for action are key ingredients to my current interests.

Finally the way prices have gone this year I think all of us will be hanging on to kit for much longer. Even Jules.
Bill

Helpful

swarf

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 16:25
I agree with John when he says "I'm not sure that if one's current camera does what one wants it needs to be replaced."

However, I upgraded 4 years ago from a K-r to a K-5iis, and i justified to myself for two reasons. Firstly, I wanted the WR features of the K-5iis, and secondly I wanted better low light capabilities. I got both, and also a marked increase in image quality.

Am I tempted to upgrade again? Not at the moment, but I would never say never!

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

philstaff

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 16:35
swarf wrote:
I agree with John when he says "I'm not sure that if one's current camera does what one wants it needs to be replaced."

However, I upgraded 4 years ago from a K-r to a K-5iis, and i justified to myself for two reasons. Firstly, I wanted the WR features of the K-5iis, and secondly I wanted better low light capabilities. I got both, and also a marked increase in image quality.

Am I tempted to upgrade again? Not at the moment, but I would never say never!

Phil

The weather sealing on more advanced cameras. Was a reason I thought of regarding an upgrade.

stu62

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 17:48
I had a k10 witch failed my size 10s one day so I bought a k5 which I reckon was built on a Friday afternoon

I bit the bullet and bought the k3ii glad I did

Personally I would still be using the k10 really it's what you feel comfortable with

McGregNi

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 21:33
wvbarnes wrote:
......Finally the way prices have gone this year I think all of us will be hanging on to kit for much longer. Even Jules.

Yes, but this time the cycle has come round right for him .... He'll be stuck with Pentax!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60 Flash & V6 Transceiver

philstaff

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 21:44
McGregNi wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
......Finally the way prices have gone this year I think all of us will be hanging on to kit for much longer. Even Jules.

Yes, but this time the cycle has come round right for him .... He'll be stuck with Pentax!

Is being stuck with pentax a bad thing ?.

McGregNi

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 22:12
Only if it feels like being stuck I imagine .... I'm stuck with Pentax but it doesn't feel like being stuck, so it's a good thing
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60 Flash & V6 Transceiver

philstaff

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 22:21
McGregNi wrote:
Only if it feels like being stuck I imagine .... I'm stuck with Pentax but it doesn't feel like being stuck, so it's a good thing

I am happy to. I have all the kit I need and some day will upgrade to a higher speck model

MrB

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 22:27
As I hardly ever print beyond A4, I doubt that upgrading was ever really necessary for me. However, I did upgrade for several reasons, including improved camera features, as well as the enjoyment of GAS!

I started in 2011 with a K-R, which I still have, and since then I have gained a K-5IIs, a K-3 and a K-70. The latter is the only one that I bought close to its release, all the others being either used or end-of-line bargains.

I have no intention of buying either the K-P (far too expensive compared with K-3 and K-70) or the K-1 (too expensive, bulky, and heavy, and I don't think FF is of any benefit for me), so it looks like I might be having a few years off from upgrading......?

Cheers.
Philip

Helpful

ronniemac

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 22:59
Ian, I guess if you are posting the question, then you are probably asking for encouragement to upgrade. I agree with the above comments, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in print quality or indeed screen quality of images. Upgrading won't make you a better photographer, anyway, that's clearly not a problem. In any case, it is generally recognised that upgrading lenses can do more for photography than changing bodies. Having said all that, there are other issues that might be worth thinking about. Let's imagine you upgraded to a K-70 - it's the best value for money new Pentax that is currently in the shops at under 600.

You have identified weather resistance - that's a big plus if you don't mind getting yourself wet. For landscape photography this is a fantastic Pentax feature - but of course needs these WR lenses to make any sense.
The adjustable rear screen is a feature that for me was well worth upgrading for. (also folds in when not in use so is protected)
Improved video resolution might be a consideration
Better low light capability (much higher iso)
More pixels (twice as many) means better cropping options + its a bit like a built in telephoto zoom
Pentaprism always betters mirror in viewfinder (KR) because it is larger and brighter
Focus peaking - especially useful with manual focus lenses
Wi-fi if you want it
Nicer grip
Not more autofocus points but sensitivity improved from -1 to -3 EV
More options in menu
Sharper pics because no anti-aliasing filter
Bigger +/- bracketing range
Pixel shift for super resolution low noise still images
Any colour as long as its black
but most important of all, it does great selfies!

Now if none of the above attracts you, stick with the camera you have and treat yourself to something else.

Only K-r > K-70 drawback I can think of is that it is slightly heavier (+90g)

Now I don't own a K-70, but it combines most of the best features of two which I have - K-S2 and K-3ii. so in a way you get two good cameras in one!

Having said all that, look first at your lenses and ask if they are giving you what you want.
Last Edited by ronniemac on 13/07/2017 - 23:00

Helpful

philstaff

Link Posted 13/07/2017 - 23:12
ronniemac wrote:
Ian, I guess if you are posting the question, then you are probably asking for encouragement to upgrade. I agree with the above comments, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in print quality or indeed screen quality of images. It upgrading won't make you a better photographer, anyway, that's clearly not a problem. In any case, it is generally recognised that upgrading lenses can do more for one photography than changing bodies. Having said all that, there are other issues that might be worth thinking about. Let's imagine you upgraded to a K-70 - it's the best value for money new Pentax that is currently in the shops at under 600.

You have identified weather resistance - that's a big plus if you don't mind getting yourself wet. For landscape photography this is a fantastic Pentax feature - but of course needs these WR lenses to make any sense.
The adjustable rear screen is a feature that for me was well worth upgrading for. (also folds in when not in use so is protected)
Improved video resolution might be a consideration
Better low light capability (much higher iso)
More pixels (twice as many) means better cropping options + its a bit like a built in telephoto zoom
Pentaprism always betters mirror in viewfinder (KR) because it is larger and brighter
Focus peaking - especially useful with manual focus lenses
Wi-fi if you want it
Nicer grip
Not more autofocus points but sensitivity improved from -1 to -3 EV
More options in menu
Sharper pics because no anti-aliasing filter
Bigger +/- bracketing range
Pixel shift for super resolution low noise still images
Any colour as long as its black
but most important of all, it does great selfies!

Now if none of the above attracts you, stick with the camera you have and treat yourself to something else.

Only K-r > K-70 drawback I can think of is that it is slightly heavier (+90g)

Now I don't own a K-70, but it combines most of the best features of two which I have - K-S2 and K-3ii. so in a way you get two good cameras in one!

Having said all that, look first at your lenses and ask if they are giving you what you want.

Thank you for that feed back some very good points made. I am happy with my lenses to date. Although some of the sigma lenses have also tempted me. I have a selection of old manual lenses which in my opinion give me good results. Obviously if when I do upgrade then I would have to look at WR lenses.
Regards Ian

Mag07

Link Posted 14/07/2017 - 08:50
I don't think you can get a definite answer. It's an issue that is very personal. As the fella that took pictures of some Formula X race with a 100 year old camera recently demonstrated. Everything is 'doable'. Whether these are the results one and in case of a pro, their clientelle expects, it's another story. In my opinion, if you need to ask yourself that question; the answer is most likely: no, you don't need an upgrade. I think we do notice when the gear is holding us back; from printing big through high iso performance to faster AF. Even a simple 'convinience' update can be worth paying for as time is money. If your time is valuable in monetary terms, and an upgrade reduces the time and effort needed to achieve something, it's a good investment. Then there is the third aspect: the fun element. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. I am going to have hell of a great time using it. I bought my K1 for exactly that reason. Not only do I enjoy using it much more than any other body I have, I love exploring it's boundaries and I feel it's capabilities are not 'wasted' on me (possibly a very arrogant assumption!). I just keep on learning what it can do and what I can do with it. At the end of the day, if it's affordable, I'd say treat yourself to an upgrade; if it's not, don't stress over it unless you can name what is holding you back so much
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.