All Forum Comments
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 27/05/2012 - 20:56
Just a further note, after checking out yesterday's shot, if the camera is giving you slightly underxposed images when metering through the lens, dial in +0.7 or +1 EV of exposure compensation.
And another thing - the Helios 58mm is great wide-open. I have a K-mount version, and shoot it wide open all the time. Nice bokeh.
I did find that the exposures were different when I used Av to those using M so for now I'm more comfortable using M and the green button as it tells me the shutter speed before shooting. This is important for what I've been attempting since shooting close up (generally around 1.9 ft according to the Helios scale) I needed to stop right down to get some reasonable DoF. The downside was the need to up the ISO to get a fast enough shutter speed to overcome the slight movements !
All-in-all I feel I've set myself quite a difficult task but one only learns by trying the difficult ! I'm glad I ventured into the realms of 'Manual lenses', I'd been nervous before but now feel quite bold !
I'll also continue experimenting with Av and look for some different opportunities to try the Helios opened up as others have also mentioned it is good at this.
Meanwhile, I've posted another attempt taken today !
Thanks again for all your help
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 27/05/2012 - 17:42
You will need to tell the camera the focal length, but it's not necessary to use the green button in Av mode. You only need to do that on K-mount lenses in M mode.
All the green button does is stop an M or K lens down momentarily and take a meter reading. That's because as you select different f stops on an M or K lens, the aperture actually remains open until you take a shot.
There's no need with an M42 lens; it will be stopped down anyway so aperture priority will work. If after focusing you return the aperture to the 'stopped down' position, the camera will meter in Av mode in real time.
I'll try that in an hour or so when the sun comes round the house.
Hopefully I'll be posting a sharper image of the Ceanothus blooms on the gallery later today !!!
Thanks again
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 27/05/2012 - 09:13
Hi Peter
There are a couple of things that need to be checked with a K-r to shoot with manual lenses. Forgive me if you have already done any of these.
Firstly you need you need to set 'use aperture ring' to 'permitted' in order to use manual lenses.
Press the menu button.
Press the left button on the four-way controller once to get to the Custom Settings menu
Press the down button on the four-way controller and select Using Aperture Ring
Press the down button on the four-way controller, select Permitted and press the OK button.
Press the Menu button to exit the Custom Settings menu
You need to set the focal length of the lens when you turn the camera on, though this isn't vital if not accurate though the EXIF will be wrong.
With M lenses (no A on the aperture ring) you simply set the aperture ring to the desired setting. Select manual (M) on the dial on the camera.
When you have composed the shot press the green button once. This will take a reading for you and set the shutter speed to match your chosen aperture. I tend to find that this underexposes a little so usually reduce the selected shutter speed by a couple of steps.
A lenses can be set to A on the aperture ring and then you should be able to use AV mode to select both aperture and shutter speed.
Hope this helps
Chris
I followed Chris 'instruction list' and used full M mode. It all worked fine (after I'd remembered to manually stop the lens down from full aperture for focusing ! Although the shots at f2 aren't bad !).
If I can use Av I presume I will still have to follow part of the check list e.g. tell the camera the focal length and press the green button after stopping down ?
This lens is totally manual, i.e. it has a manual ring to set full aperture for focusing which then has to be turned back to the end stop to get the preset aperture.
I'm a novice at this so all help is welcomed !
Thanks all
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 26/05/2012 - 17:40
I'll try that and take some more shots of the Ceanothus tomorrow morning when the sun is in the same direction (it is in the shade of the house in the afternoon and shaded by the garage ealy morning so I have a rather limited 'window' of best light !
You've got some great sharp close-ups on your portfolio and I'm pleased to see you are also using a K-r. So now it is up to me to see what I can do !
Thanks again
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 26/05/2012 - 16:05
Obviously I needed to set the K-r focus to Manual but as I needed to set the aperture manually on the Helios lens I wasn't sure what to do about exposure settings ? I don't have a separate light meter so wanted to use the K-r to chose shutter speed.
I guessed at using Av (since I WAS setting the aperture) and I manually set the ISO to 400.
I then set about taking some close up shots of our Ceanothus plant which I'd had problems getting sharp with my DAL 18-55.
I think the sharpness IS better but out of camera the images were a little dark and needed some PP to brighten them up.
I've just posted one of today's shots (Ceanothus III) on the gallery so you can check (and please compare with the previous Ceanothus and Ceanothus II, if you have time).
I'd be grateful for any help on using this lens and on manual settings on the K-r in general.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Using Helios 58mm on K-r at 26/05/2012 - 11:11
I've worked on what fits in a small Lowepro rucksack.
I think I use my Sigma 10 - 20mm least, my Pentax DA 55 - 300 the most.
Since getting my Pentax DA 55-300 I've left it on my K-r (which came with the DAL 18-55 and 50-200 kit) all the time !
But is does depend on what you want to 'shoot' !
This lens obviously won't be any use where a wide angle is needed but as well as its telephoto capability I've used it for close ups/simulated macros - it just needs a bit of care standing far enough back to overcome the minimum focal distance !
But as I said - each to his own !
Good luck
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on One "all-in-one" lens for beginner at 14/05/2012 - 20:21
Go ahead and get the cheap one ! (But don't blame me !!!)
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Buying a spare battery at 11/05/2012 - 15:40
Everyone seems to have forgotton one very useful element - 'sheer good luck' ! (Plus a bit of grim determination, that is )
Have a look at Scarlet Elf Cup in my portfolio to see this in action.
This was taken under extremely difficult circumstances on a wildlife shoot.
The fungus was on some wet wood in a small stream in a shady location so the light wasn't very good and neither was the 'footing'. What is more I only had my DA55-300 in use so to get a close-up shot I needed the full 300mm which in turn meant I had to be over 1.5m away (minimum focus). I didn't have a tripod but it would have been impossible to use on the soft slippery ground. It just meant standing very still and holding my breath to shoot. Next, the extreme luck - with the K-r on P it chose ISO 1250 and 320th shutter speed and (I think)f/7 so this combination compensated for the bad light and my shaking.
My golden rule - if in doubt just shoot !
Good luck
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on Any tips for handheld macro shots at 06/05/2012 - 23:24
I spent many months last summer researching a new camera to upgrade from my (very good) compact digital. I looked at all the m4/3 cameras comparing specs and IQ and also looked at all the 'entry level' DSLR's. However, ONE camera just jumped out as being far superior in all respects (for my needs), including (especially) value for money. THAT is the camera I bought - the Pentax K-r !!! And I don't regret it. I was also pleased to see that just after I bought it PC Pro magazine came to the same conclusion !
Peter
Comment by PeterKR posted on K5 vs M4/3 at 04/05/2012 - 19:47


Aha, I use this Helios lens on my K-r in Av mode and I can tell you it's capable of very nice images. You'll find you need to dial in plenty of exposure compensation in Av mode with this lens as you will with other m42 converted lenses with a plastic mount, something to do with the camera not thinking it has a lens on due to the contacts on the camera body not being shorted I believe.
I have to dial in nearly 2 stops plus exposure to give me consistantly exposed images. The main challenge for me is to remember to reset the exposure compensation back to normal when back on a standard lens
My converter is actually a shiny aluminium one (from China!) so I shouldn't have the same problem as you have with plastic ones ?
However, as you and Will have said I'll try experimenting with the exposure compensation to see what looks best for my camera/lens combination.
I agree that the biggest problem will be all the re-setting when I put a standard lens back on ! (And then remembering what to do the next time I fit the Helios !)
Best regards
Peter