All Forum Comments
Comment by nanhi posted on Lessons from a Wildlife Photography Trail at 25/01/2016 - 05:22
To prove it would involve the complicated business of taking TWO SHOTS one at say 640 ISO and one and 800 ISO and comparing them ...... Far too difficult for a Pentaxian they prefer to waffle on about it This would be good for about 40 pages of waffle on the US forum.
I did post the results of a test I did sometime back on a K-5, but can't find the files.
It's also mentioned in camera reviews. Anyone who knows how to use a camera knows that you should stick to 100/200/400/800/1600 ISO because generally the noise from 500 and 640 ISO is the same as 800 ISO...... I thought even Canon users would know that
--
This could be one reason why someone on the Pentax Forums said to use Full ISO steps in the camera settings instead of Half or One-Third steps.
Regards.
Comment by nanhi posted on ISO & Noise at 06/12/2015 - 13:19
So the question and clarification I am seeking is, does Pentax DSLRs, the K-5 & K-3 series, have the same failings
Noise isn't the result of anything failing. It's a consequence of science and physics.
My K20D had little or no noise at 800 ISO. This was upped to 1200 ISO on the K-5 and 1600 ISO on the K-5 IIS. And sensors getting better with technology.
Now my query was related to this report on the Canon Forum: "Noise was almost absent at 100/200/400/800/1600 ISO. But when an intermediate setting was used on the Canon 6D like ISO 640, there was discernible noise".
The query: Do Pentax DSLRs demonstrate this same behavior??
For all I know I may be asking an un-scientific question, perhaps stupid to you Steve.
Regards.
Comment by nanhi posted on ISO & Noise at 06/12/2015 - 06:10
"Canon cameras have least noise at 100/200/400/800/1600 ISO and not the settings in between".
So this guy was saying that he had a lot of noise at ISO 640 from his Canon 6D. He had posted the photo + a 100% crop. He also mentioned the photo was not tack sharp.
Now it is well known that the Canon 6D is renowned for it`s low noise and one wouldn`t expect to see this at ISO 640.
So the question and clarification I am seeking is, does Pentax DSLRs, the K-5 & K-3 series, have the same failings as this statement "Canon cameras have least noise at 100/200/400/800/1600 ISO and not the settings in between".
Thanks
Comment by nanhi posted on ISO & Noise at 05/12/2015 - 16:33
Just for general interest & for those who haven't come across it before, I thought I'd show the effect of using Neat Image for noise reduction.
Below are a before & after pair.......
Before

After

I've used NI for some time & I think it's really good. It's also free!
The only (slight) disadvantage is that it doesn't retain the exif, well not in the free version, anyway.
Any thoughts?
Roger.
Secondly the 2nd PPd photo does not have the punch as the original. Even the bird, the subject matter of this great shot, has lost its sheen and sharpness.
Regards.
Comment by nanhi posted on Noise Reduction at 30/01/2015 - 13:55
Sorry guys I hadn't realised it was FF Doh... Il delete this posting..
I have the 28-75 / 2.8 which is an FF lens and a great one. There are other lenses too.
Regards.
Comment by nanhi posted on Why are 3rd party manufactures turning away from Pentax ? at 30/01/2015 - 13:50
Also play with the edial programming menu in Tv mode for a fix.
Sorry for a late reply, as I am on a long holiday to Canada and did not check out the Forum.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario
Comment by nanhi posted on shutter speed problem K-5 at 16/10/2014 - 02:51
You've nailed the butterfly, but those JPEG settings will not get the best out of camera or lens.
To get the best out of the camera, what JPEG Settings would you recommend?
I use RAW + JPEG only on ASR basis.
So your point - in quotes above - was very interesting, as I felt the 18-135 has much better capability than that demonstrated in the butterfly shot.
Regards.
Comment by nanhi posted on Just bought DA 18-135 WR at 01/01/2014 - 06:32
I put the Pentax battery for charging in the supplied charger. The charger LED started flashing. I cursed Pentax-Ricoh for a bad battery, but then I took a Johnson Q-tip, dipped it in pure hospital rectified spirit and cleaned both the battery and charger contacts.
Presto the LED lights no longer flashed and the battery was fully charged in about 6-7 hours.
I think the battery terminals build up a thin film on contact with polluted air. So it is good to clean the contacts now and then.
Comment by nanhi posted on K5 battery charger. LED flashing at 03/08/2013 - 18:58
I was recently shooting a group photo indoors with relatives using the Pentax Remote. We were seated on a sofa facing the window. The camera was on a tripod with the viewfinder facing the window. The camera was set to TAv mode at f8 and 1/20 sec, ISO 400.
The first shot was under exposed. So I covered the viewfinder with my handkerchief. The rest of the shots were perfectly exposed.
Comment by nanhi posted on Eye piece blanking at 03/08/2013 - 18:46


The group of 21 identified the different bird, butterfly and camouflaged reptile species, and learnt how to photograph them.
Some interesting take homes from the safari: a) most said the quality of photos depended on the price of the cameras and lenses used; b) it was a one day fun escapade from the humdrum of life and a glimpse into natures beauty, the hills and exotic wildlife; c) learnt 70 to 90 % of wild life photographic skills from the guide Mr. VS. Bayar; d) the group comprised of retirees, professors, techies, doctors, corporate employees and few wild life photogs – aged between 70 & 26.
Unfortunately I missed the event, being tasked to meet a prospective groom for my niece.