Just bought DA 18-135 WR

swarf
Posted 30/08/2013 - 16:05 Link
I've just bought the DA 18-135 WR, after getting some advice from this forum and reviews from elsewhere, looking to upgrade from the kit 18-55 for something to use as my principal "walk around" lens. I must say that so far I'm very impressed with it.

This image is the JPEG straight out of the camera (K-r), with JPEG settings of 6M pixels and the medium quality setting. It is uncropped. It was taken, handheld, at 135mm, 1/400, F5.6, ISO 200. I always shoot Raw + JPEG, but thought that on this occasion it might be interesting to put up the JPEG straight out of the camera, rather than a RAW image that had been "worked on".

Comment Image
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
Opethian
Posted 30/08/2013 - 22:23 Link
Very nice indeed! I've been forever tempted by this lens, but am focusing on getting primes at the moment.
tyronet2000
Posted 31/08/2013 - 08:47 Link
Very nice image. This lens is my most used, and if it's not on the camera it will be to hand in the camera bag.
Regards
Stan

PPG
johnriley
Posted 31/08/2013 - 08:51 Link
You've nailed the butterfly, but those JPEG settings will not get the best out of camera or lens.
Best regards, John
swarf
Posted 31/08/2013 - 09:23 Link
johnriley wrote:
You've nailed the butterfly, but those JPEG settings will not get the best out of camera or lens.
Thanks for your comments re the butterfly.

I recognise that these JPEG settings are hardly the best, but I only use the JPEGs so that I have a thumbnail available to view on the computer in Explorer. I always use the RAW image for the ones I want to keep.

John - Thanks for the advice about this lens that you gave in response to an earlier post of mine, I'm pleased that I went with it.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
JohnX
Posted 31/08/2013 - 13:12 Link
swarf wrote:


I recognise that these JPEG settings are hardly the best, but I only use the JPEGs so that I have a thumbnail available to view on the computer in Explorer. I always use the RAW image for the ones I want to keep.

I shoot Raw + JPEG with the JPEG's at maximum quality and have no problems whatsoever viewing them in Explorer.
Edited by JohnX: 31/08/2013 - 13:13
nanhi
Posted 01/01/2014 - 06:32 Link
johnriley wrote:
You've nailed the butterfly, but those JPEG settings will not get the best out of camera or lens.
Hello John, Swarf's setting for the butterfly shot were: JPEG settings of 6M pixels and medium quality. Taken handheld at 135mm, 1/400, F 5.6, ISO 200.

To get the best out of the camera, what JPEG Settings would you recommend?
I use RAW + JPEG only on ASR basis.
So your point - in quotes above - was very interesting, as I felt the 18-135 has much better capability than that demonstrated in the butterfly shot.
Regards.
johnriley
Posted 01/01/2014 - 08:30 Link
For using the JPEG file, then Premium JPEG setting at maximum resolution. We can always downsize but upsizing loses quality. It could be worthwhile increasing the in-camera sharpening if a print-ready result is required, only by +1 should be enough.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo