mikew

Joined: 22nd October 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

mikew
Well I'm not convinced that all is well but we'll see.

OK ignorance time: What does the contact actually do on the 28mm lens?

Here's a picture from this afternoon centre weighted 5.6 @ 1/90 but for some reason it chose ISO 1600.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9890138@N08/

Overall the lens is good condition no obvious crap anywhere but it does look like the glass needs a decent clean up externally.

Mike[/img]

Comment by mikew posted on K lens at 02/12/2007 - 21:00

mikew
OK - just tried some tests indoors.Using the kit lens and the 28mm lens the metering is showing 1/10 for one lens and 1/15 for the other which really is no difference. I have just shot 4 identical pictures one on each lens at f4 and then at f8 (thinking that maybe the lens wasn't stopping down OK) with foixed ISO. Each time the 28mm lens uses a longer shutter speed but 0.3 against 1/4 say which in reality is no difference although the image is brighter.

Blades look oil free and I did clean the contacts before the last test just with a tissue as I have found it's effective at leaching grease off surfaces. I think I'll avoid WD40 as it creeps all over the place, I have some carburretor cleaner which will get grease off anything in my experience!

Maybe the clean with tissue has done the trick?

Once again many thanks for advice.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K lens at 02/12/2007 - 19:31

mikew
Well I tried that lever as the same thought occurred to me and it is indeed snappy etc.

Now contacts - which ones are they? There is one 'ball' that I can see. As always all help is welcomed!

The ISO was in fact a red herring as it looks like it's being selected at the various settings within the range I allow - 200-1600 ISO.

Could it be the style of metering I chose which as I recall isn't spot but the middle one?

Could it be a slightly grubby lens? I think there may be some graese on the lens surface?

Thanks for your help thus far.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K lens at 02/12/2007 - 19:13

mikew
I've just bought a 28mm K lens with the A setting. Very nice it is too but my K100D seems to overexpose it by about 2/3 stops each time so the image is useable but over exposed.

I think I must be doing something wrong. I had the idea with the lens on A I could use Av or Tv and I tend to set the aperture and let the speed sort itself out.

Actually now I look again the ISO seems to be 1600 where the kit lens say would be 200 - but that makes no sense.

Any ideas?

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K lens at 02/12/2007 - 16:10

mikew
Hey Kim I've only just realised your rummage bin is on the other side of the world!

I think eBay is my friend!

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on lens hoods at 02/12/2007 - 21:04

mikew
Good news about the petal hood - which seem easy to get and reasonably priced.

And Kim that's a very kind offer.

Isn't it nice to be somewhere people help.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on lens hoods at 30/11/2007 - 16:05

mikew
Damn but you're right it is indeed 49 mm. They are both A lenses and I can't imagine why I thought they were 52mm - there was a reason!

I hadn't thought of a rummage bin.

Many thanks.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on lens hoods at 30/11/2007 - 07:00

mikew
This makes feel like a right ninny but I have just bought a 50mm prime and a 28 mm prime for my K100D.

Now I need a 52mm lens hood - is this suitable

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s9134/0/Lens-Hoods/Jessops/Rubber-Lens-Hood-52mm/de...

And is this suitable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/52mm-Flower-Shaped-Lens-Hood-4-all-52-mm-lens-filters_W0QQ...

Neither seems to mention the angle of the lens which would seem pretty critical to me. I'll be happy to get just one for the 28 and use it on the 50 which I know isn't ideal but it'll do. Damned if I'm paying Pentax prices for a bit of plastic!

Now I look at teh hood on the kit zoom I suspect either of those hoods will do.

Help and advice please!

Incidentally I am well pleased with both (Pentax) lenses both seem sharper than the kit kens and the 10-20 Sigma zoom.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on lens hoods at 29/11/2007 - 22:11

mikew
Hmm Tamrac 7 just arrived. It seems well made and padded and the top part is a useful size but not enough for air travel!
Without having too much time to fanny about the centre bit for the camera does seem limited but it does take the K100 with any lens plus the Sigma on one side, the two primes and the other zoom on the other side. Just as well I don't use flash though.
Still I think it will suit me - what I really want to do is see if I get a huge wet patch on my back in hot weather. I suspect not but I'll only know in the summer.
Incidentally Aspens of hereford do a best offer on eBay, make it lower than £38
Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Camera bag at 07/12/2007 - 15:09

mikew
Hmm, the largest lens I have is the Sigma 10-20 but it isn't all that long but rather chubby. I think I'll take a punt on the Tamrac 7 - it looks like what I need although I was dithering about a regular bag as opposed to backpack.

Then I'm real good at dithering!

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Camera bag at 04/12/2007 - 19:54

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo