mikew

Joined: 22nd October 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

mikew
Thanks for the resizing pointer - I had typed an an entry in one box but as the other box didn't change I assumed it didn't do it. Now I see the lazy programmer does it when you tab out of the box.

Thanks

As for the monitor calibtration pointer - true and I have had a terrible time with my cheap and sad to say nasty flat screen.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Silkypix at 23/12/2007 - 19:23

mikew
OK guys so the step from RAW to image on screen when SP loads it needs some sharpening to accommodate the way we got to RAW.

Then I can adjust settings to suit and save as TIFF. Maybe in that save I apply some more sharpening through the unsharp mask, but maybe not.

If I want to resize the image to 800x600 say in SP then I have to put in the two dimensions myslef and hope I can keep them in proportion? That seems remarkably improbable so I think I must have missed a resize tool somewhere.

If I need to clone stuff out or something then I'll need PS as SP doesn't do that - true?

Then I'd resize and save etc. and have to apply shrapening as the last step - true?

I have seen various tutorials on using PS and they have helped me a lot but I do like the way SP seems to get me to a good quality image so quickly while I have to fiddle in PS quite a time to get the same reults.

Sorry to be dense guys and I do apppreciate the help.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Silkypix at 23/12/2007 - 16:26

mikew
Thank you John I will use TIFF - I am still very much at the stage of getting to grips with all this.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Silkypix at 23/12/2007 - 10:35

mikew
Forgive me if I am being dense and I hope I'm not repeating an earlier question.

I'm just trying Silkypix for RAW conversion from my K100D.

The images it produces seem far sharper and brighter than those I get from using the PS RAW processor.

However, is this just down to Silkypix making it easy to select suitable settings for the image - all those predefined lists like natural fine etc.

It also applies sharpening at the start of the process when I thought this was meant to be the last thing you did?

This is a truly dumb question - but Silkypix's role is take to RAW and make a file that an editor like PS can use a JPEG - right?

So workflow is
Transfer from camera
Process in SP
Save as JPEG
Process in PS

Which is why I can't find a resize tool in SP?

So far I am impressed with SP as it lets a dimbo like me produce better results quicker.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Silkypix at 23/12/2007 - 08:35

mikew
Chris - Good points well made and I would almost certainly prefer to have a K10D now as some of the controls are tucked away in the menus on the K100D. Not a big deal but an irritation and the extra pixels would be nice too.

Nice to know that someone else likes to/has to save up before they buy! I can't believe the level of debt that prevails in this country.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K10d or K100? at 02/01/2008 - 13:44

mikew
Well I am stunned by the amount you guys spend on your hobby. I have spent a fair bit since getting my K100D but only once I was sure I was going to use the camera a decent amount. I also sold my old Olypus kit for a fair bit which helped.
Personally I wouldn't get any lenses beyond the kit until I knew what I wanted. I waited and bought a Sigma 10-20 as I like (and used to like) wide angles and getting close. I wouldn't want to duplicate the kit lens - which is pretty OK I reckon - until I knew it wasn't reaching the standards I wanted.
The ability to use the old A series prines from film cameras lets you try different lenses at very modest cost but nothing like the 10-20 range.
Just to muddy the water still further are Samsung still offering good deals on their version of the K10 with 18-55 plus the seemingly excellent 50-200 (which is another lens I got s/h).
Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K10d or K100? at 02/01/2008 - 13:26

mikew
I'd forgotten about weather seals - that might swing it for me now but when I bought I didn't want to spend too much in case it was just a passing fancy. Then again seeing what you guys got/spent on Christmas I am in a minority regarding spending!

Why a Pentax? I think I might have gone Canon or Nikon in hindsight - that said I like the K100D and I'm sure I'd like the K10 as well. All those old lenses waiting to be used as well.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K10d or K100? at 31/12/2007 - 16:15

mikew
I was in your position a few months back and bought the K100D as it seemed the most credible low cost DSLR with a name I knew from my youth.
I'm very happy with it and it's done its job of getting me into DSLR and beginning to understand digital issues and I have accumulated lenses for it. The menu pecking required within menus is irritating but I don't have to do it too much so it's no big deal - maybe once each session.
A lot depends on the price difference and the feel. The K100D seems nice and light and fits my hand well which is important to me as it's no burden to carry and use it. The extra pixels would be nice but the lack doesn't limit me at present. If the K10 was only a little more than the K100D then I suspect if you're technically minded it's the better buy. If you can be overwhelmed by technicalities then I expect the K100D is a quicker learning curve.
I don't suppose that helped at all!
Mike

Comment by mikew posted on K10d or K100? at 31/12/2007 - 13:21

mikew
Whoops brain out of gear - yours is the much larger expedition mine is the measly adventure!

Old age taking its toll.

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Sorry, 18-250 question again !! at 30/12/2007 - 21:31

mikew
I bought a Tamrac 7 as well. Good bag although it's tight for space with three zooms and two primes so those of you that have more lenses might struggle. The top section is Ok for sandwiches etc. so I'm happy enough.

FWIW I did Best Offer on the Aspen eBay shop and got one for £38 so you can try for less than that!

Mike

Comment by mikew posted on Sorry, 18-250 question again !! at 30/12/2007 - 21:19

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo