PLUS

Lubbyman

Joined: 28th March 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Lubbyman
pschlute wrote:
I had a few friends round for "eclipse" drinks.
Any excuse, eh?

The images produced by pinhole cameras among the leaves have amazed me, too. I don't remember seeing images like that from previous partial eclipses.

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Partial Eclipse at 14/08/2026 - 16:33

Lubbyman
Maximum eclipse and people watching it from a field south of Dorchester, Dorset. K3iii + DA55-300mm, eclipse photo with ND1000 filter, live view, handheld. Just a bit of fun and what I expected - and was proved to be right - would be a sociable occasion. The light level dropped a bit but the temperature didn't drop and if you didn't know what was happening above then you'd never have guessed.

Feel free to add your own photos.

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Eclipse Photos at 12/08/2026 - 22:08

Lubbyman
One of the down sides of photographing the eclipse is that you might miss out on the actual experience of being eclipsed. I experienced the near-total eclipse that happened in the UK about 25 years ago. Just watched and waited at Portland Bill along with a couple of friends and a scattered crowd of other people. The eclipse was about 99% at the Bill (totality was about 20 mile out at sea), enough for see the shadow approaching across the sea, the day turn to darkness, the temperature drop, dogs start barking etc. A quick couple of snaps with a film camera at maximum eclipse was all I did, just enough to say 'I was there'. And I'm glad I wasn't fiddling with a camera all the time and missing the experience. And being Brits, what did we all do when daylight returned? Queue up at the cafe for a cup of tea, of course .

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Partial Eclipse at 11/08/2026 - 09:28

Lubbyman
And, of course, you can always turn any Pentax DSLR into a MF DSLR by turning the focus switch to MF and taping over it so you're not tempted to turn AF on again .

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on What would peoples reaction be If... at 11/08/2026 - 09:15

Lubbyman
davidwozhere wrote:
Get three pallets. ....Make a second one alongside
That's the Rolls Royce approach and it will work perfectly. My two are just a pole at each corner, tough plastic windbreak material around 3 sides, whatever junk I've got to make the equivalent of a slatted front. They aren't pretty but they are out of sight, they've lasted for over 30 years (with occasional repairs) and, most importantly, they work. A key point, and a reason why pallets are so good, is the need for size. A 1m cube is ideal. If a heap is too small, too much heat is lost for it to get to a decent temperature (seems strange saying that in the middle of a heatwave...).

A few of things to think about if using a plastic bin for composting. First, a compost heap needs air (hence the slats or windbreak plastic above). Without air, it can get horribly slimy and smelly. Second, a good heap needs access to the soil. It's bugs and beasties that do the composting, without them it's just smelly chemical decomposition. Third, a compost heap needs to be turned over at least once in its life or it can get stratified and parts can be hardly composted at all. With a two heap approach, you always fill the same container then mix it up by decanting it into the other container when full (or in my case, so full it's a hazard to passers by). With a single plastic container, you'll need some way of shaking it up, turning it upside down etc. . A plastic bin mounted on a pivot that allows it to be turned over vertically is OK - as long as you remember to turn it over once in a while .

Personally, I'd use both of your current bins for water as it looks like rainwater might be a scarce and valuable commodity in future. One of my water butts is actually an old plastic dustbin, another one (which the previous occupant had installed) looks like a big, plastic beer barrel.

One final point. Used bedding material (hay, wood shavings etc.) from rabbits, guinea pigs or other rodent-like pets is great for a compost heap. It's the nitrogen in what they excrete... .

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Another pointless thread at 11/08/2026 - 09:11

Lubbyman
Aha, a camera for macro. Perfect! AF is just unnecessary clutter, weight and expense when looking at little things. Unless it can be used for in-camera focus stacking, in which case perfect again! (And I believe would be a first for a non-mirrorless camera.)

Of course, the big question for a MF DSLR is what focusing aids would be built into the viewfinder screen. Without a split screen it wouldn't really be retro .

However, I doubt whether a MF DSLR will ever be produced. But a MF SLR (film) to complement the Pentax 17 ...

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on What would peoples reaction be If... at 10/08/2026 - 23:50

Lubbyman
Hardgravity wrote:
We invested in 5 110liter water butts last autumn, they're full
Only 5? And full?? Of rainwater??? I've got 8 butts, soon to be 9, and no rainwater in any now except for a small amount reserved for the pitcher plant. Meanwhile, the water level in the wildlife pond in the garden is dropping by a few mm each hot day and I'm having to top it up with tap water that's been standing in a water butt for a week. That's the first time I've ever had to do it in the almost 40 years I've been in this house.

But there's currently no hosepipe ban and water supplies seem to be holding up in spite of only 4% usual rainfall in July and demand being a lot higher than usual (according to the local water company) .

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Another pointless thread at 10/08/2026 - 22:35

Lubbyman
Is anyone going to try to photograph the partial eclipse of the sun on Wednesday this week (12th August)? Or the total eclipse if you're lucky enough to live or be visiting somewhere that will be in the full shadow of the moon?

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Partial Eclipse at 10/08/2026 - 17:23

Lubbyman
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
You could use that to shoot the upcoming eclipse.
But don't look through it when pointing at the sun, it might melt your eyeball

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on A heavy beast at 10/08/2026 - 14:59

Lubbyman
Sometimes, something unplanned and unexpected appears in the frame which adds to the original concept. Here are a couple of recent instances from the usual late evening dog walks.

The first photo is one of a few taken because of the light and shapes. A few minutes later and the entire field was in shadow and the glow had gone. It was only when looking at the photo on a screen at home that I noticed a deer had wandered into the field. By giving a sense of scale - the deer is about 1/3 mile away - I think it improves the picture.

The second was taken to get the sunset in portrait format rather than the usual landscape. Some birds (they look to me like ducks) entered the frame as I was holding the camera to the eye. Let them leave before pressing the button or press while they are in the frame? I chose the latter and with a bit of cropping to get the birds at the horizontal mid-point here is the result. By drawing the eye from bottom to top, I think it gives a sense of height and improves the picture.

What do you think? And have you ever been grateful for an unexpected intruder in a photo?

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Unexpected Intruders at 09/08/2026 - 23:03

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo