kingfisher

Joined: 15th May 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

kingfisher
Hello, I plan a week trip to northwest Scotland in April/May, hopefully also taking some photos there. I plan to do a trip to Suilven and Glencanisp forest, then continue to Fionn Loch and Falls of Kirkaig, from there to Inverpolly forest and Stac Pollaidh and finally climb Cul Mor and descent to Drumrunie forest. If I have some time left maybe a day trip to Torridon on a way back....so I'd like to ask you, if anybody knows it up there....and can point me to some interesting places?
I would also welcome some advices on gear....so far I decided to take K5 + trio of lenses which share 58mm filters - old manual K20/4, FA31/1.8 and DA55/1.4. But also contemplating taking K85/1.8 for some landscape compresion....as is seems that area is vast and vistas from peaks will he huge (in case of good weather). Besides of that I am taking tripod and nodal ninja pano head, but I have to keep photo gear minimal.....alltogether with k85 it makes up to 4kg, which is quite ok. So any advice or opinion is welcomed.

Comment by kingfisher posted on Suilven and Inverpolly photography at 08/03/2016 - 07:38

kingfisher
stein:
don't worry about this...at the begining you'd like to try a zillion of lenses. If you can't fight that, there's a way how to keep it reasonable - always when you're about to buy a new lens sell one of your lenses too....so you don't end up stocking lenses at home

now there's another thing which may be helpful - sometimes we're buying lenses, because we're not happy with the photos, and we blame the gear - in this case it may be better to join some local photography clubs or even spend money on some courses that will improve skills more rapidly than a new gear and as a bonus you'll meet some likeminded people ....

so I combined both these approaches - and eventually cut my essential lens kit to 5 lenses (although i still need to sell da15 and da70 limiteds and FA135/2.8 to be honest)


btw. M and A50 1.7 are pretty good lenses and so is DA50/1.8

Comment by kingfisher posted on How do I know when it's enough? at 08/03/2016 - 06:47

kingfisher
johnriley wrote:
We should be pleased that Pentax have maintained as much backwards compatibility as they have. We can still use, without any disadvantage in use, lenses from the last forty years or so. We can use manually lenses going back almost sixty years. That's pretty good in my book.
I am more than happy with it, John....actually 2 of my 5 essential lens kit are antique K20/4 and K85/1.8.....and then there are 2 FA Limiteds.....anytime I can slap any of those (except DA*55) on MX or MEsuper and have a go with a film....which is great. So backwards compatibility of Pentax is great...

Comment by kingfisher posted on lens compatability with full frame at 08/03/2016 - 06:26

kingfisher
BruceStrachan wrote:
I'm starting to think that it's less likely that I will buy the FF ok it will have the option to use lenses in cropped mode but in that case the K3 is more than good enough so justifying the purchase becomes harder.
While there is a certain appeal to using old glass buying a 2000 euro camera with all the bells and whistles to do so also seems crazy given you can use them on K3.
Really looking like it will be out of my reach and in all honesty probably an unnecessary step at thus stage.
I'm always getting jibes from my Nikon mate about real (full frame) cameras but I'll live with that until an offer appears or the prices drop.
well, you can always jibe back your Nikon mate about real (medium format 645D and Z) cameras.....let's see what would be her/his reply to that

myself - i am more than happy with crop dSLR, just trying to upgrade my already great k5 with k5IIs ....and I will be provided for years. Anyway I wish Pentax a success with K1 that will eventually lead to another fullframe model in a future and boost company's reputation among others as well - I think the company deserves it for providing us with great cameras so far....

Comment by kingfisher posted on lens compatability with full frame at 08/03/2016 - 06:17

kingfisher
well....I'm looking to try DA*55 1.4 on K1 tommorrow morning since local camera shop in here presents K-1 and invite people to try it ....pity that they have it only for 2 days.

Comment by kingfisher posted on lens compatability with full frame at 08/03/2016 - 06:05

kingfisher
that's a great little lens....

Comment by kingfisher posted on FS: Pentax K 30mm f2.8 at 05/03/2016 - 08:37

kingfisher
Hi, the lens arrived and looks splendid, almost like new. I am surprised how solid and heavy it feels, but it balances nice on K-5 and is pretty comfortable to carry. I even like that humungous hood Thanks...

Comment by kingfisher posted on FS: Pentax DA * 55mm f1.4 at 29/02/2016 - 21:29

kingfisher
and thank you all for your comments.......

Comment by kingfisher posted on K5IIs versus K5 at 26/02/2016 - 06:14

kingfisher
sportyman - that's a good question.....well I usually don't print larger than 20x30, sometimes 30x45....still since I haven't tried camera without AA filter yet...I wonder - theoretically image from such camera should be able to record slightly more detail, since no blurring occur - in that case if the print size is decent enough it should be percievable, right? I mean looking at the pic you should be able to get the feeling of texture of rock or tree bark for example
what i am interested in is if you percieved more richness to details and textures when you jumped to K5IIs...

I ask for K5IIs on purpose, since it has same pixel amount as my K5...
K3 I am sure is able to resolve even more, but it is out of my price range and K5IIs seems to have little better dynamic range...

Comment by kingfisher posted on K5IIs versus K5 at 26/02/2016 - 06:14

kingfisher
can't believe you have difficulty to sell that FA20-35...it's almost prefect landscape & street lens ....only DA*50-135 toped it from all the zooms I had....

Comment by kingfisher posted on Camera and Lenses For Sale at 24/02/2016 - 18:48

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo