johnwhit

Joined: 27th April 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

johnwhit
Hi Gareth

Yeah, Large Red and Common Blue damselflies. the red ones may be Small Red if on the South coast of the UK, but they look like Large Reds to me

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on Dragonfly at 10/06/2010 - 10:54

johnwhit
thoramay wrote:
Thanks. I have three zooms to 300mm, plus the Tamron 500 mirror and the Pentax reflex 400-600. None of these produce the kind of result that I want with wildlife.
regards thoramay
Are you shooting RAW or jpg? I'm just thinking that the rsults may improve with a little post processing. I have a Tamron 70-300 LD Di and I'm surprised how good it can be with a little work, even at 300mm. What exactly are you not happy with? Maybe you could post a sample or two

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on 300mm M42 F4 lens at 10/06/2010 - 07:26

johnwhit
They're a very good attempt with a telephoto zoom

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on Dragonfly at 10/06/2010 - 07:17

johnwhit
I use one all the time on the K20D helps balance with longer lenses.

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on To grip or not? at 10/06/2010 - 07:14

johnwhit
Daniel Bridge wrote:
johnwhit wrote:
I don't know whether this works with PSE but fron PS CS3, click: View> actual Pixels, this will give you 100% (pixel level)
Yes that does work John, and if you prefer using the keyboard rather than the mouse, just hit Ctrl+alt+0 (zero). Ctrl+plus zooms in, Ctrl+minus zooms out too, as Gareth said, and Ctrl+0 fits to screen.

Many ways to skin a cat, and all that.

Dan
Yes agreed, I tend to use the keyboard wnen navigating the image and zooming to the level I want to work with

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on 100% crop how ................... at 08/06/2010 - 15:58

johnwhit
I don't know whether this works with PSE but fron PS CS3, click: View> actual Pixels, this will give you 100% (pixel level) Select the crop tool and select the area you want then hit enter (keyboard return), save the image with a different file name in the format you desire. Done.

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on 100% crop how ................... at 08/06/2010 - 10:52

johnwhit
SteveF wrote:
So it's not just my postman, then........

You have to collect them promptly though as they soon perish if left outside in the weather.


John

Comment by johnwhit posted on Having trouble getting it off... at 06/06/2010 - 20:51

johnwhit
johnriley wrote:
It's important to apply pressure equally all round the filter - if you use pressure either side filters are distorted and lock into position.

There have been a few ideas, but basically anything you can wrap around and will grip evenly.
I'm with John on this, try and grip the filter from the front of the lens with 3 fingers and a thumb. A pair of washing up gloves or any rubber glove helps. If your postman uses those thin red rubber bands around his letters, they're ideal for putting around the thin ring of polarisers for grip, ours usually drops a few on the drive! I keep one in each camera bag

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on Having trouble getting it off... at 06/06/2010 - 08:31

johnwhit
Dangermouse wrote:
If you want a 35mm have a look for the old M 35-70mm, it's an f2.8 at the wide end and has excellent reviews. I know I was very happy with the test shots from mine, although I don't use it on digital as manual zooms are a bit of a pain. I bought it to use on my MX, where it's a very good fit.

Weirdly the M 35mm primes seem a bit rare of late, I don't see many up for grabs.
.........M 35-70/2.8 used one with my KX,MX & LX bodies for years, great lens, paired with the M 24-35/3.5....wonderful! With the addition of the A 70-210/4 later you could hardly go wrong for a 3 lens kit

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on CZ 35/2.4 at 05/06/2010 - 10:46

johnwhit
Mike-P wrote:
It's actually not such a bad thing losing SDM .. my DA*55mm focuses twice as fast using the TC and screwdrive
The DA*55 is noted for being a little on the slow side I believe.

Regards,

John

Comment by johnwhit posted on The Big Sigma Zooms (50-500, 170-500) at 03/06/2010 - 12:02

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo