Jetsam1

Joined: 2nd July 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Jetsam1
I may be shooting film but I am on a bit of a budget!! lol!! Because I spend my money on developing.......

The new Spotmatic arrived today, it's in almost better nick than my other one! Only cost me £12............

I have the 135mm SMC Super Takumar and a Vivitar 28mm Auto Wideangle so I have something to use on it. Thought it might be fun to try something else too!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Helios 44m4 58mm F2 on a Spotmatic F? at 14/09/2010 - 14:30

Jetsam1
Hi, have another Spotmatic F on the way as a "everyday" version of my good set up. Want a 50 - 58mm lens for it as I want to keep my Super Takumar safe and nice!

Spotted a Helios lens for a cheap price but have heard there can be an issue with the Spotmatic F where the aperture lever on the lens can get stuck in one of the holes used for metering?

Bit confused about this really!

Can't really afford another Super Tak as they seem to be getting rather expensive these days, esp the 1.8's......

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Helios 44m4 58mm F2 on a Spotmatic F? at 14/09/2010 - 11:31

Jetsam1
I have both digital and film and find I enjoy photography with the older bodies. Black and White is still best with film I feel.

There's nothing wrong with film and it is fun to be a contrarian sometimes!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on new member at 16/08/2010 - 18:25

Jetsam1
Right, pulled the trigger on a Redsnapper after reading plenty of good things about them! Solidity and stability is what I'm after and as I usually have a rucksack I can always just tie the tripod onto it. It'll mainly be used outdoors in the countryside rather than in town.....

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Finding a requirement for a half decent tripod......... at 10/08/2010 - 16:19

Jetsam1
Slightly off topic for the thread but I'm not entirely sure how monopods can add stability? Still get side to side motion?

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Finding a requirement for a half decent tripod......... at 10/08/2010 - 14:13

Jetsam1
greynolds999 wrote:
Before you splash out, is it just that the tripod is moving? Have you tried weighing it down - use a long piece of string and tie it to your camera bag (but make sure the bag is touching the floor - it's no good if it's swinging).

And yes, a remote shutter release is essential. Make sure the camera is set to 'mirror lock up' to ensure that doesn't give nay vibrations. You can pick up perfectly good OEM remotes for under a fiver on eBay.
It's a very, very, cheap tripod and the head fell off this morning!!!!

So if I want to do any long exposure work I'll need to get another tripod!

Been searching the forum and Redsnapper keep being mentioned as very good for the money?

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Finding a requirement for a half decent tripod......... at 10/08/2010 - 13:31

Jetsam1
Looks interesting, esp if they are light and compact enough to be easily carried around.

Thought Manfrotto were much more expensive than that? Just shows should have just bought a better tripod in the first place!!

I haven't really used a tripod much yet, just been shooting handheld. Would a good tripod really make a substantive improvement to general photography?

I may be more tempted by the cable release rather than an infra red, so as I can stand behind the camera and not risk photographing myself with the wide lens!
Quote:
(Still very much a beginner in all of this)

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Finding a requirement for a half decent tripod......... at 10/08/2010 - 11:58

Jetsam1
Was trying some night sky photography last night seeing as the sky was clear and whilst I have a couple of shots showing enough potential for further experimentation, my cheapo tripod really did show up its limitations.

The K200d did pretty well though with 30 second exposures, though I think if I want to do more of this type of thing I'll need a remote shutter release.......

Truly is never ending this hobby....!!

Any ideas of what's good for under £100 tripod wise?

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Finding a requirement for a half decent tripod......... at 10/08/2010 - 10:59

Jetsam1
Aero wrote:
Jetsam1 wrote:
thought it would be interesting for me to experience another system and I can compare the results to my Pentax 35mm SLRs.
In fairness to Nikon, the eccentric, space-age LCD display on the F70 is an experiment that most people say didn't quite work and never reappeared on later models. Some loved it, though, and it would be interesting to hear how you get on with it. I doubt Pentax will be trying anything similar. On the bright side, the F70 was capable of taking good pictures, by all accounts.

Al
I've been reading up a little on this and it does look unusual...... But I'm sure I can work it out! As long as the photos turn out well, the interface can be worked around. It'll be interesting anyway!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Well, cheap experiment coming up with a Nikon... (Playing with the Dark Side! Hahaha!) at 05/08/2010 - 08:40

Jetsam1
I'll qualify it slightly then! I shoot a lot in York, but plenty cities like Manchester and Birmingham I wouldn't take the Dslr out......

I was in Filey on Monday and rattled off loads of shots around the beach and cliff line but felt uncomfortable with the Dslr out when got up to the town itself...... Dunno why... If I had my Program A with me I wouldn't have been so shy!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Well, cheap experiment coming up with a Nikon... (Playing with the Dark Side! Hahaha!) at 04/08/2010 - 14:19

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo