hefty1

Joined: 28th June 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

hefty1
Thanks for your inputs, the size really is a non-issue for me - the only physical thing that is a factor is that I do like the quick-shift focus on the DA's... But if the concensus is that the 43 is a genuinely better lens (in terms of IQ) then I suppose that's the one I'll be buying - I'll have to live with flicking a switch on the body.

As for third party stuff, I did give a little thought to the Sigma offerings but I really like the Pentax "look" - it was this more than any other factor that made me buy into the brand over Nikon, Canon, et al (the hours I spent browsing the photos on Pbase!).

The FA35/2 did also come in for some consideration, but I decided that I'd really like at least one Limited lens in my small-but-perfectly-formed collection. I'm in danger of becoming a glass snob!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Help me spend some money: DA40/540FGZ Vs. FA43/360FGZ at 27/09/2007 - 23:17

hefty1
Second hand 43's seem to be a bit thin on the ground. There's one on eBay at the moment but the price they're asking is only £35 short of a new one. I do keep an eye out!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Help me spend some money: DA40/540FGZ Vs. FA43/360FGZ at 27/09/2007 - 21:46

hefty1
Sometime during October I'm intending to take my next step along my personal Pentax roadmap. Up until now I've been able to do some research and come to my own conclusions, but now I'm sat on the horns of a dilemma and it's not very comfortable... Help!

The story so far; I took delivery of my beloved K10D on June 20th this year. I'd deliberated for several months previous to this (a lot of it spent reading this forum) and Pentax finally got the nod over strong competition from the Canikononylympus camp. Along with the K10D I bought a DA18-55 and a Tamron 70-300 - the only Pentax fit lenses that the shop had in stock. This was step 1.

Step 2 involved buying the pieces that I'd already decided I wanted before I bought the camera, namely a DA12-24, D-FA100 Macro and an AF360FGZ. I shopped around and got these from various points around the Internet for what I still consider to be good prices. Since these two lenses arrived the two zooms I bought with the camera have remained largely untouched - I'm still getting to grips with the flash but I'm improving daily with practice.

Step 2.5 doesn't get a full step of its own because it was an accidental purchase, but it has turned out to be an important one in the scheme of things! I was at a car boot sale and saw a camera lens with a Pentax cap in a box of odd bits, I picked it up and found it to be an M50/1.4 in what can only be described as mint condition and with an asking price of £10 - who could say no? I've enjoyed using this lens and it takes wonderful pictures, however, the lack of AF makes it a little awkward as a walk-round lens, as does the "quirky" way it never meters properly. I've learned to make the neccessary adjustments but I've cursed it on a couple of occassions when speed has been of the essence and I've missed a photo 'cos I've been messing around trying to get the exposure right. Which brings me neatly to step 3...

Step 3 is where I am now. I'd like to get a prime that's ever so slightly wider than the 50mm to use as a "normal" walk-about lens, I want it to have AF and I want it to meter properly and most importantly, I want it to take the most beautifully rendered pictures that my K10D is capable of. I also want another flash unit so that I can try out some more ambitious lighting scenarios.

I have about £400 to spend (give or take a few quid) and I was wondering what the best "bang-for-buck" would be? Shopping around the 'net shows that the best prices I can find (inc P&P to the UK) are: DA40 - £165, FA43 - £280, 360FGZ - £125, 540FGZ - £225. This means I could either get a DA40/540FGZ combo for £395 or an FA43/360FGZ combo for £405.

So the question is, which combo would you plump for and why? I'm not really that bothered by the DA40's weight advantage over the FA43, but I do like the way you can override the AF instantly on the DA's. From what I understand the DA40 will also work on a full-frame sensor (should Pentax ever decide to follow that particular herd) so I don't figure either lens would be a wasted investment.

Faster lens or bigger flash? Daddy or chips?

Comment by hefty1 posted on Help me spend some money: DA40/540FGZ Vs. FA43/360FGZ at 27/09/2007 - 20:47

hefty1
That was a hard subject this week! Congratulations to Galoot for winning (it was my favourite too) and well done Prieni for judging. My entry was quite rubbish this week so I'll try and up my game for the next one...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Weekly Competition No. 12 - "Hard and Soft" at 01/10/2007 - 10:03

hefty1
Comment Image


K10D / D-FA 100mm Macro / AF360FGZ / f16 / 1-8sec / ISO100

Couldn't find anything suitable so I shot this especially for this comp - I need the practice with my flash!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Weekly Competition No. 12 - "Hard and Soft" at 26/09/2007 - 23:48

hefty1
Quote:

1 - should I expect to find a hood in the box?
2 - what's the close focus on this lens?
1. Yes
2. 25cm

I find it quite quick to focus too

Comment by hefty1 posted on What am I missing DA18-55? at 22/09/2007 - 09:53

hefty1
All nice, but the first one's the top one for me - the water adds that extra certain something

Comment by hefty1 posted on More Infra-Red at 19/09/2007 - 23:39

hefty1
I think you're missing a link there I'm afraid...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Busy Bee at 19/09/2007 - 23:40

hefty1
I love #3 - I'm a big fan of primary colours

Comment by hefty1 posted on First photo's taken with my Pentax. (be gentle please) at 19/09/2007 - 09:50

hefty1
Congratulations to Prieni for winning and Dan for judging.

To be honest, my pic never was about solitude (good call Dan), I was just impressed someone had gone to the trouble of dying their hair to match their Land Rover.

One week there might be a competition on these boards I actually do have a suitable shot for... Or not as the case may be.

Comment by hefty1 posted on Weekly Competition No 11 - "Solitude" at 24/09/2007 - 23:42

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo