New Voigtländer Nokton and Ultron for Pentax

lenscape

Link Posted 02/11/2007 - 19:09
Quote:
Cosina has announced two Voigtländer-branded lenses which it will be making available for Nikon and Pentax DSLR mounts.

Full details and pictures: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0711/07110201voigtlander.asp

They do look rather nice.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

johnriley

Link Posted 02/11/2007 - 19:36
Those look highly desireable, thanks for posting.
Best regards, John

Kim C

Link Posted 02/11/2007 - 23:26
I hope these are more succesful than the previous CV offerings. Most of those have recently been withdrawn. Still it is nice to see that CV as well as Zeiss are recognising the sales potential of the KA mount. Before, it was mainly M42 to be used with adapters.

Kim

Mongoose

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 15:17
bit of a snub to Canon that they are available in F and K mount but not EF

nice looking lenses.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Kim C

Link Posted 03/11/2007 - 23:59
It might have something to do with license agreements. Also Mr K is a big fan of some of the older camera makes such as Topcon, (Hence the styling).

Kim

Kim C

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 09:47
Copied from another forum with the posters permission.

Mr. K has just announced his new Voigtlander SLII series 40/2 and 58/1.4 for Nikon and Pentax SLRs.
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...sl2/index.html http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...sl2/index.html http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...sl2/index.html

These are new versions of the previous Voigtlander SL 40/2 and the limited edition Cosina made Topcor 58/1.4 of a few years ago (produced in chrome for Nikon AIS or Pentax M42 mount). The superbly performing Cosina made Topcor 58/1.4 is popular and very sought after in Japan. Unfortunately it sold out too quickly for most other markets to be very aware of the lens. and See previous versions here http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt%20SL.htm

Although the new SLII lenses have the same glass as the previous versions, there are very important differences:

1) both are chipped for full metering capacity with digital SLR lenses. This is a first for Voigtlander Nikon mount lenses. While covering the full frame 35mm format, they are also ideal fast lenses for Nikon digital SLRs. With Nikon discontinuing most of their manual focus single focal length lenses, Mr. K once again offers lenses not available elsewhere.

2) Both new lenses are available in black only. The new version 40 now includes the interesting dome lens hood (previously sold separately) and a close up lens. the 58's lens hood is sold separately (previously included)

3) SLII lenses are so far announced only in Nikon AIS (with metering matrix chip) and Pentax KA mounts. Voigtlander did produce the now discontinued 125/2.5 in manual focus Canon EOS and Minolta AF mounts, with the needed metering chips. Unfortunately neither sold well, so it remains to be seen if Mr. K will make more lenses in those mounts.

4) The Cosina factory will start shipping mid November for the 40, mid December for the 58. Nikon mounts will be produced first.

5) Despite some speculation on RFF, the Voigtlander lens designs and Zeiss lens designs have nothing in common. Both product lines are the results of different design teams.

6) USA price initially has been set at $379 for either the 40 or 58, $39 more for the 58 lens hood.

7) CameraQuest is now accepting orders for the new SL II 40/2 and 58/1.4

feel free to post this info in other forums if you like.

Kim

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 10:53
Stupid question maybe but apart from being a faster lens what would be the advantage, if any, of the Voigtländer 40mm over the Pentax 40mm?

Substitute

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 11:18
cheaper maybe?

I had a Nokton 1.4 on my Leica and it was a real knouckout!
I love the feel of these lenses

Kim C

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 11:21
The same could be said for using Sigma, Tamron or any of the others. However, in this case, there are also manual focus for one. There are also full frame format and have the A ring so are compatible with all the film bodies as well. The lens design is also different. In the case of the Topcor design, it is a symetrical design unlike the Pentax ones. This gives better correction (or rather the need for less correction) and quite a different look to the photos.

It also answers Mongooses question about why Nikon and Pentax mount only.

Kim

hefty1

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 11:23
Gwyn wrote:
Stupid question maybe but apart from being a faster lens what would be the advantage, if any, of the Voigtländer 40mm over the Pentax 40mm?

I suppose it would depend on your priorities - it looks like the price will be roughly the same so it'll come down to whether you favour the wider aperture of the Voigtlander or the auto-focus of the Pentax. I'd be suprised if they offered a significant difference in the quality stakes but I'm prepared to eat my words when we see some examples from the Voigtlander...
Joining the Q

Kim C

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 11:29
Hopefully, by the end of the week, I should be able to tell you how the 125/2.5 APO Lanthar performs.

Kim

hefty1

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 11:48
Lucky you! With any luck you'll hate it and I'll make you a reasonable offer (bearing in mind it'll be second hand of course)...
Joining the Q

Kim C

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 12:03
I would be quite happy to swap it for a 100/2.8 A Macro.

Kim

hefty1 wrote:
Lucky you! With any luck you'll hate it and I'll make you a reasonable offer (bearing in mind it'll be second hand of course)...

ZaphodB

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 12:37
Mongoose wrote:
bit of a snub to Canon that they are available in F and K mount but not EF

Actually considering how much fun I have desperately trying to see anything through Canon's viewfinders, I'd say they were just conforming to health & safety laws and doing Canonites a favour by not giving them manual focus lenses

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/11/2007 - 14:36
Kim C the reason for going for Tamron or Sigma is generally that they are cheaper, or they offer a lens that Pentax doesn't (eg 50-500). The Voigtländer seems to be a similar price to the Pentax equivalent, and to be only manual. So, not being an expert on optics and lenses, I can't see the advantages of it, unless the quality is vastly superior to the Pentax. That's why I asked what advantges it has over the Pentax.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.