All Forum Comments
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 25/06/2011 - 00:35
gotta be honest... if I could afford it... it would be under the tree next Xmas for my littlest boy... he is a budding film maker.... that would be a fine upgrade to his flip camcorder...
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 24/06/2011 - 23:22
I ask all supporters if they are really happy with an f/10.5 lens that is diffraction limited at all apertures.
There are many instances where a small sensor is preferable to a large one; macro and eBay shots benefit from an increased DOF for any given aperture, and telephoto benefits to the tune of insanely long effective focal lengths with relatively little bulk (and fast apertures unheard of on a DSLR for the same effective length - all at little cost).
I know from much experience with cameras with sensors of this size that diffraction will limit IQ to around f/5.6-6.3, but I don't see how this is an issue. At that aperture everything can be in focus anyway and if it's really bright the lenses have their built-in ND filters (just like my GR-D and G12 do). This will not be a camera for pixel peepers it's true, but photographers will probably find it jolly good fun. The fact it will fit in a pocket means it's far more likely to be the camera on you too.
Long live The Queen!
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 24/06/2011 - 23:19
I just don't know who they are aiming this at.
I don't know who they are aiming this at either.
I haven't been this excited by a new camera since I saw the original GR-Digital for the first time - the Fuji X100 came close but I'd rather have the Q now it's here. I'm like a kid at Christmas right now and I really can't wait to get my hands on one of these - it's almost like the Pentax designers have reached inside my head and built me the camera I wanted, it's genius.
I am a very happy Pentax camper right now.
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 24/06/2011 - 23:00
I keep saying... size is NOT the main benifit to mirrorless class cameras... COST is, they are just plain cheaper to make. After the Q, why would Pentax care about the size of it's mirrorless aps-c class system? even with the larger kmount and thicker body, you throw a 40 mm pancake lens on it and it will still be smaller than many 4/3's systems.
Cost is also a reason but that will be shaved still further by making smaller bodies that consume fewer raw materials.
I'm quite excited by the prospect of the first Q-M42 adapter as I've just figured my Sonnar is now a 750/3.5
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 23/06/2011 - 20:11
...with a standard kmount...
To keep the K mount they'd have to retain the registration distance and they'd lose the biggest advantages of the mirrorless systems; namely size and the ability to mount a massive array of legacy lenses.
I predict a new K2 (or something similar) mount that will offer enhanced compatability for K mount lenses through an adapter (something like a modern version of the M42-K adapter, with AF for the SDM lenses and full metering, etc with others).
Yes that will annoy a lot of people in the short term, but in the long term it sets them up for the next generation K mount.
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 23/06/2011 - 19:51
It seems there are a lot of folk (from what I've read so far) who just don't "get" this camera. Stop thinking of it as a poor man's DSLR and instead think of it as the ultimate pocket digicam - once the street price comes down (and it will) to G12/LX5 levels these will fly off the shelves.
Well done Pentax!
Comment by hefty1 posted on Pentax launch the Q at 23/06/2011 - 18:45
Comment by hefty1 posted on PUG - The PDML monthly gallery at 20/06/2011 - 23:58
Your only options are to trawl eBay or ring around some second hand camera shops to see if you can find any. If it's any consolation the front of the camera won't close with the filter attached anyway so they're of limited use - one of the rigid hoods would be a better buy for lens protection (if that's what you're worried about) if you can find one.
Comment by hefty1 posted on Rocky Cameras?? at 17/06/2011 - 21:29
Comment by hefty1 posted on Outdated film - still good to use?? at 17/06/2011 - 11:40


Er, you didn't really read the articles did you?
A small sensor gains nothing and loses in diffraction effect, DOF, noise, etc. You don't magically get more telephoto or more anything... you just see less of what you would have had with a larger sensor.
You see increased DOF as a disadvantage, I see it as a plus in many scenarios. Noise is irrelevant, my current compact can make A4 size prints from ISO1600 shots without noise being obvious, and the technology is getting better. As for the telephoto effect not being real who cares? I don't, I just know I'll be getting full and uncropped high quality 12MP images shot over vast distances without incurring a hernia. Once the adapters come out and those K135/2.5's act like 750/2.5's I think more folk will "get" it (and the adapters will come - the "Toy" lenses already announced nod towards the fact that the camera is capable of handling dumb glass, the inclusion of the secondary electronic shutter is the real giveaway. And they'll be stabilised to boot).
So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject and I look forward to receiving my Q so that I may serve many peoples' words back to them with liberal dollops of ketchup.