gwing

Joined: 19th January 2012

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

gwing
Oh yes.

Have a look in particular at Robert Hutton's videos linked out from the darktable resources page link

As secondary recommendations there is the quirky but powerful Fotoxx which does have a video demo link or Raw Therapee at link also has a bunch of tutorials as well. Then mining 'Meet the Gimp' will find endless treasure on everything to do with photo processing.

Comment by gwing posted on Linux Raw software at 07/02/2015 - 18:13

gwing
McGregNi wrote:
I was rather looking forward to a bit more dynamic range .... Sure, no doubt I could get a K5, even that for most shots with a wide range involves exposing ' to the left' and dragging things up from the depths (and mids) .... That fabled ' shadow recovery'.

Well, I dream of not having much to ' recover' at all ... Less processed tonally adjusted files equals better photographs for me!! Will my dream be realised (funds permitting of course ) ??
It'll be night & day Nigel. Moving up from the K7 to k5/30/50 generation will get you 1-1.5 stops extra, then moving to FF will get you another one (sensor area double =1stop extra if it is fully realised).

Of course it's (almost) night & day just moving up to the K30 generation anyway

Comment by gwing posted on New Pentax FF ..image released on PhotoRumors? at 07/02/2015 - 15:42

gwing
walkeja wrote:
screwdriver222 wrote:
I thought the green rings on the lens barrel was being replaced with red ones. On the 2 lenses just released they are back to green.

I wondered if Ricoh/Pentax have changed there mind or is there some new methodology .

Any ideas

Jeff
For "methodology" read METHOD.



Jeff, "methodology" is the study of methods.
f you are going to be a pedant and call people on use of language when what they have written is commonly accepted usage, then at least be correct.

Read, and learn link

Comment by gwing posted on Green ring, red ring, green ring at 07/02/2015 - 10:56

gwing
RussV wrote:
walkeja wrote:
I must be missing something, to me they are all out of focus, therefore a load of rubbish. I'm not saying the originals are rubbish, but this software has ruined what looks like what were good originals. No offence meant.
ICM is short for 'intentional camera movement', there's no special software involved. The camera is deliberately moved during exposure to create an abstract or impressionistic effect (as in the style of Impressionist painters).
Thanks for showing them, but I think this is a effect I don't like.

#10 does almost work for me though.

Comment by gwing posted on Ten ICMs - Trees at 07/02/2015 - 10:47

gwing
[quote:3496ace15f="50mpCMOS"]
Quote:

Unfortunately there is not a zoom lens on the market by any company that can come close to the quality of any fixed lens. In terms of PK; the lens which come the closest are the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, but at the "price of" both size and weight,

Unfortunately even a preset 400mm or also a preset mirrored 400mm will exceed any zoom lens
You are joking? You just don't own a rotten enough old fixed length lens. Believe me there are plenty of stinkers that aren't up to it.

Are you interested in a couple of long fixed lenses I might find around if I look hard enough?

Comment by gwing posted on Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW & HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Lenses at 06/02/2015 - 23:25

gwing
McGregNi wrote:
My main concern about the crop issue is really about having a smaller image, and vignetting and black space within the viewfinder (I assume the live view can just zoom in with a software adjustment?) .... This I would find distracting I'm sure and it would interfere with quick and efficient framing, and focussing possibly. We're so used to seeing 100% of the image in the viewfinder, I feel it would be disconcerting otherwise. But I guess Pentax engineers will find a practical solution.
I actually rather miss the old 'bright line' viewfinders we used to have in rangefinder cameras. Having extra edges visible was really useful - it kept a bit of perspective available for judging whether zooming out|changing lenses|stepping back was a good idea.

Comment by gwing posted on New Pentax FF ..image released on PhotoRumors? at 05/02/2015 - 19:38

gwing
McGregNi wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:


If Pentax don't un-cripple the K-mount for this camera it will be a crime. Imagine being able to use all the old M and K series primes as you would on an old film camera - either metered manual or A modes. People who want a digital Leica but can't afford one would flock to it.
That sounds amazing!! I didn't even know about those modes .... A mode ... Is that like on the flashes where you set the aperture and ISO manually? I guess on a camera body, if it knows the aperture and ISO it will calculate the time value? Does it still take a reading with a half press? (But that pre -supposes it knows the full open aperture) .... So many questions!
You're having us on aren't you Greg? 'A mode' is just an abbreviation for automatic exposure modes like Aperture or Shutter priority.

Truth to tell 'uncrippling' the lens mount isn't going to give us that much. It will give the old M and K mount lenses some of the functionality of the old A series lenses and that's all. I don't think it will happen though - Pentax do want to sell new lenses and we should be grateful for the compatability we already have. Mind you, I have a few old lenses myself so *if* the aperture coupler came back it would be welcome, five years ago it would have been a deal breaker - but now I have a few modern lenses as well so for me it isn't any longer.

Comment by gwing posted on full frame with old lenses at 05/02/2015 - 19:32

gwing
If it is indeed lens saturation and not something completely different it should be present in every shot. Simply taking the same image with two comparable lenses and posting the examples should be sufficient to illustrate the problem I would have thought?

Comment by gwing posted on 50 mm macro 2.8 and 100 mm wr macro over saturating at 03/02/2015 - 13:49

gwing
johnriley wrote:
I do agree Kseries that all aspects of an image should be our own, not a collection of our own plus miscellaneous royalty-free images from the internet.

I was told though that some college and university courses actually teach imaging using only internet sourced images. If that's right, then students could be set up with the notion that it's OK, right from the start,
I do agree John , but the boundaries are difficult to define.

There is much talk of 'styles' in, let me call it photographic imagery, where a patrticular photographers extreme processing style is admired and often more important than the specific image content. Then processing steps to reproduce the style are published or even automated in photoshop scripts etc. and then 'followers' of the style can reproduce it at a click of a button. So we have the situation where dramtic images are produced puerely automatically (not that I have anything against that if it is what you want to do) and the original image is (hopefully) the photographers but the end product essentially isn't.

That's an extreme example *but* it isn't that different in principle from where we use any of the fancy tools in our favourite programs for image editing and processing.

Comment by gwing posted on When reality (apparently) isn't enough at 02/02/2015 - 11:46

gwing
It's quite beautiful. But it doesn't bear much resemblance to a photograph

Comment by gwing posted on When reality (apparently) isn't enough at 01/02/2015 - 17:12

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo