George Lazarette

Joined: 14th January 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

George Lazarette
If you reckon your camera is good for 100,000 clicks, then you have used about 3% of it's life (and cost) for your time-lapse sequence. A new K3 is about £700, so that's £21.00.

But cheer up. It would have cost a lot more if you were using film.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Interval movie frames count as shutter actuations (K-1) at 25/02/2017 - 17:53

George Lazarette
johnriley wrote:
The days of 6 or 7 element 50mm lenses are long gone at the high end of things. With all the aspheric elements, ED and Super ED glasses and highly complex designs, plus inbuilt focusing motors, lenses are getting bigger.
Ah, progress!

Bigger, heavier, more expensive, larger filters, more to go wrong.

It'll be interesting to see whether the improvement in image quality is sufficient to offset all the negatives.

Although I do appreciate that a camera with 36 megapixels deserves a sharp lens. Otherwise, it's rather a waste of a big sensor.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on D FA★50mmF1.4 at 23/02/2017 - 11:00

George Lazarette
It's twice the length of the 1:1.2, which is very odd. Why?

Comment by George Lazarette posted on D FA★50mmF1.4 at 22/02/2017 - 23:15

George Lazarette
ilovesaabs wrote:
I'm another glad to see George rise from the depths...
How do you know that I haven't descended from the heights?

I am sorry that people are having problems with Nikon, though they put the occasional complaints about Pentax into perspective.

Anybody got any horror stories about Canon? Or does nobody dare admit to having anything to do with the Copiercam?

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Bad News at Nikon? at 22/02/2017 - 17:39

George Lazarette
Mike-P wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:


Perhaps I will have to see something.
That last sentence looks a bit Delphic. I meant to write SELL something.
Jeesh ... we don't see you for months and months and now you won't shut up.

Nice to see you back George.
Well, I've got a lot of catching up to do! Nice to see so many old, familiar, faces. And some not so old, of course.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Bad News at Nikon? at 22/02/2017 - 13:51

George Lazarette
George Lazarette wrote:


Perhaps I will have to see something.
That last sentence looks a bit Delphic. I meant to write SELL something.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Bad News at Nikon? at 22/02/2017 - 13:10

George Lazarette
The F* has the enormous advantage of its built-in handle/stand, which the FA* lacks. I would go for another F* if mine got damaged.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on WTB: F* 300/4.5 at 22/02/2017 - 13:01

George Lazarette
pschlute wrote:
I got lucky on ebay last week and bought a Super A + Takumar macro zoom for £36. I will be lucky to get a fiver for the zoom, but the Super A is... well.... just super. Apart from a missing cover for the winder connection on the baseplate, it looks like it was unboxed yesterday. Absolutely mint. Works like a dream too. I have always wanted a Super A and am over the moon with this.

keep looking George, there is one out there somewhere with your name on it.
I don't know how I missed that. Well done!

The Super A was Pentax's best affordable film camera in my view. The MX was great too, of course, but the Super A was more versatile.

davidwozhere wrote:
There's one sitting here on my desk with a Hoya 35-70 'Profile' lens on the front of it. It was working last time I used it and still has a film in it. If someone will give me £30 for it +postage ............. I can take some pics of it if wanted.
That's kind. At the moment I am waiting and see how good or bad the one from Keith Rock is. If it 's no good, I may come back to you.

walkeja wrote:
When is Kodachrome coming back?
I suspect that WVBarnes is right, and that it won't be economicably viable. It's a much more expensive process than Ektachrome, and it will need a massive investment to get going. Not something that Kodak will want to take a bet on, at least until Ektachrome has proved that there is a big market for transparency film.

Still, it's interesting.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Have film camera prices stabilised? at 22/02/2017 - 12:58

George Lazarette
wvbarnes wrote:
Keith Rocklink is selling one cheap with winder...
He's not any more!

Thanks. Now to sell the winder for £20 and I'll have a working £10.00 Super A.

I did recently acquire a non-working Super A in lovely cosmetic condition, so if this one is as rough as one should expect for that money I may be doing a bit of panel-swapping.

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Have film camera prices stabilised? at 21/02/2017 - 16:21

George Lazarette
I have been after a nice Super A for old time's sake, and have been watching Ebay for ages in the hope that eventually I'd be able to pick one up for a tenner.

Well, I could, but not in anything approaching good condition. Good ones go for £80 or so, if not more, and LX prices are stubbornly high too.

Who is buying these cameras? Is there a resurgence in film photography, like the increasing interest in old vinyl records? Or is it just a blip?

And who has a nice Super A gathering dust, and would part with it for £30 to a good home?

Hope springs eternal...

Comment by George Lazarette posted on Have film camera prices stabilised? at 21/02/2017 - 14:12

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo