Bad News at Nikon?

davidstorm

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 21:13
I'm not a fan of this guy, but it's an interesting video, about the doom and gloom around Nikon at present.

link

How many people have jumped to Nikon and what do you think about this?

The camera industry is clearly under massive threat.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 14/02/2017 - 21:13

McBrian

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 21:49
Yup,they are all under pressure from Smartphones and a mature market.

I really can't see Nikon going under, pretty sure the Mitsubishi group would make sure it survived..... but who can tell what the future holds.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 14/02/2017 - 21:50

johnriley

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 22:15
We get doom and gloom every time Pentax do something, so it's probably just natural in all marques!
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 22:42
Interesting that it is the much-vaunted compact mirrorless market that Nikon have decided to opt out of due to development costs and poor sales projections. Why develop a high end fixed lens range when the market is dominated by other manufacturers with interchangeable lens options? Did they feel obliged to do this because Canon have? Pentax is best keeping clear, and focus on the niche it is excelling at at present.

michaelblue

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 22:59
I can't watch this idiot for more than two minutes ......so irritating!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

richandfleur

Link Posted 14/02/2017 - 23:43
michaelblue wrote:
I can't watch this idiot for more than two minutes ......so irritating!

This +1

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 00:20
Nikon will continue to do what is best.... but finding their way in the marketplace that is somewhat fluid is something that only Doris Stokes can be relied upon....

Nice gear but no Mojo. Canon nasty and no mojo
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

richandfleur

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 01:20
ilovesaabs wrote:
Canon nasty and no mojo

This +1 too

Tried a comparably priced Canon when looking at the K-30. Wow, such lightweight plastic construction; it was terrible, as was the kit lens they include. Pentax was a no brainer against these guys at that price point.

Unlocker

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 01:58
Typically this news comes out just as I'm about sell all my Pentax gear and go all in with Nikon!

It's either going to be 'Nikon is doomed' or 'Nikon are restructuring and focussing on what they know best', here's hoping for the latter!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Mag07

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 06:22
What Nikon is doing to maintain a lion market share is not sustainable without innovation given how many people are perfectly content with documenting their lives with their phones; and frankly, why buy a not so cheap entry dslr that was gimped beyond belief in comparison to it's bigger brothers when this money can be spent on a high end phone?

Unless you are into photography most companies give people very little incentive to buy their products at entry level. What do they expect? That people will keep on happily being milked forever? That they will not get sick of tossing working batteries out just because the manufacturer needs to make additional money to even break even on every entry level body because they overspent on marketing to create this illusion of best in the world (look how many people buy Nikon/Canon we must be the best).

There are so many things wrong with how companies are allowed to project their perceived value that then turns into gold for selected few, that it's not even funny anymore.

I would love to see some doom and gloom happen as change is long past due. Ricoh with it's rational approach to adverisig and PR expenditure; slow, steady yet completely affordable pace might sail right though this storm, together with clever Olympus and possibly Sony and Fuji. Companies who have a primary focus and realized you don't need to try to be everything for everyone.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 07:47
The advantage that Pentax have is that a larger proportion of their users understand photography and proper cameras and will therefore appreciate the huge advantages that a DSLR has over a smartphone or a compact. Fuji are in the same boat with their mirrorless systems.

Nikon and Canon users on the other hand are mostly people who want a DSLR but they have no idea why or what to do with it when they get it, and that's a very fickle market. Such users will struggle to get results in which they see a great difference when compared to a compact or a smartphone and so many will not buy further accessories or lenses and many will abandon their DSLRs altogether for the convenience of a phone.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 08:13
The demise of the compact camera (partial at least) is inevitable - many years ago we had to have a "Walkman", which later became a requirement to have an "iPod", now that market has absorbed those needs into the SmartPhone - we now have to have a "Samsung" or "iPhone". The quality of the SmartPhone cameras has improved, and will continue to in both quality and features, in a few years time the concept of a dedicated compact camera will seem alien to the younger generation. It's just be us old boys and girls and a few retro/arty types carrying around their Ricoh GR's and the like
LennyBloke

michaelblue

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 08:17
richandfleur wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
Canon nasty and no mojo

This +1 too

Tried a comparably priced Canon when looking at the K-30. Wow, such lightweight plastic construction; it was terrible, as was the kit lens they include. Pentax was a no brainer against these guys at that price point.

I did exactly the same, the difference in construction was like chalk and cheese, the canon felt like a toy in comparison
Regards,
Michael

michaelblue

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 08:19
LennyBloke wrote:
The demise of the compact camera (partial at least) is inevitable - many years ago we had to have a "Walkman", which later became a requirement to have an "iPod", now that market has absorbed those needs into the SmartPhone - we now have to have a "Samsung" or "iPhone". The quality of the SmartPhone cameras has improved, and will continue to in both quality and features, in a few years time the concept of a dedicated compact camera will seem alien to the younger generation. It's just be us old boys and girls and a few retro/arty types carrying around their Ricoh GR's and the like

Do we? I don't
Regards,
Michael

pgweber

Link Posted 15/02/2017 - 08:43
Thought it was going to say their next DSLR's auto-focus was not up to scratch.

Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.