Gedski

Joined: 18th November 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Gedski
Mike-P wrote:
Gedski wrote:

Mike, Exactly what do you mean by 'fast moving subjects'? I have found that the definition can vary, depending upon who is reading it.
Expanding it a bit more what I really mean is anything moving unpredictably ... and this is where Pentax is at it's weakest, focus tracking. Yes you will maybe lock on to a bird in flight and the first and second shot will usually be nice and sharp so providing you are happy with that then all well and good. What the other systems do much better is a continuation of that first/second shot so if you are using 6/7/8 fps you will find the majority of pictures from there on in are still sharp where the Pentax will lose focus lock a lot quicker.
Canon and Nikon (even their cheapest bodies) will give you a lot more keepers (and therefore a lot more choice) at the end so if you prefer say the fifth shot in sequence (because the bird was swallowing a fish for instance) then it will still be sharp and not a blur.

I just did a quick search on Google ... Canon vs Pentax focus tracking and basically it was like I wrote this blog word for word, it sums up my feelings exactly and it's why I use a K-5IIs and a 7D.
Mike-P, I've just read your blog and I thank you for some sensible and enlightening information. I had some idea that Pentax tracking might be as you said but wasn't sure.

Two things you have brought to my attention. One is that I am thinking along the lines of the K5 II. The other is whether or not to upgrade my 700D to either the 70D or even the 'newly' priced 7D.

I now feel that I have just to make a choice. I think that I might be able to come to terms with the Pentax auto tracking. As I have arthritic fingers, the two easily accessible mode wheels will be a boon to me. I find that the 700D one front wheel and that dreadful Button at the rear to press while fiddling with the two can sometimes spoil my shots.

I am leaning more towards the K5 II the more I think about it but we shall see. Many thanks for your help.

Comment by Gedski posted on Old question, new slant. Help needed please. at 10/10/2014 - 20:05

Gedski
stu62 wrote:
look on dpreview after looking at the k50 i would go for the k5 or the varients of it as you can do a lot more with the k5 than the k50 and there should be a photo of a falcon on there and a top fuel dragster which i have taken in full flight so to speak
stu
1. Found the falcon. That looked a rather dark day but the bird looks clear and sharp.

2. Just had a look at dpreview. The K5's seem to be the way forward but I will be governed by price. We shall see.

3. After much reading about auto focus and BIF, I am coming to this conclusion. Whether it is a K50 or better, provided I set the shutter speed to plus 1000th and use auto focus continuous, It will then be down to me as to whether or not I get my shot. Am I right or wrong?

4. My procedure with my 700D is as above but using the AI servo mode. I usually get some half decent shots. I am going to try to put up a couple of my best BIF shots onto my gallery, wish me luck. Thanks for all of the help.

PS. Managed to upload a shot of a heron. It is in my gallery and the wildlife section.

Mike, Exactly what do you mean by 'fast moving subjects'? I have found that the definition can vary, depending upon who is reading it.

Is the difference in focusing on moving targets really noticeable between your Pentax and the Canon? These things will be the defining factor as to what I do, regarding cameras. Thanks.

Comment by Gedski posted on Old question, new slant. Help needed please. at 10/10/2014 - 17:39

Gedski
[quote:3496ace15f="stu62"]which one did you see the vulture or thelcon Gedski
stu62[/quote

Bottom right of nine shots. I think it is the vulture stu62.

I'm going to spend the weekend searching for 'moving targets' taken using the Pentax K50 and the K5 as it will probably be one of these that I will revert to. It depends on how much I am offered in part exchange. I need to get the best deal available to me. Thanks for all the help and feel free to pile more upon me.

Comment by Gedski posted on Old question, new slant. Help needed please. at 09/10/2014 - 21:44

Gedski
Thanks chaps, I've looked at both your shots and I think that they are not much different from mine taken with a Canon 650D and 700D.

wvbarnes, I see that you have used a prime 300mm lens on your K5.

stu62, I can only see the one bird shot but I'm impressed.

Blythman, Whatever birds are around when I am out and about. I have some half decent ones of a seagull, swans etc.

I'm thinking that even with a K50, providing I set the shutter speed to above 1000th or so and use continual shooting, I should get some decent shots. Right or wrong.

It has been the posts about Pentax cameras not being too good at fast moving subjects that has stopped me from reverting to Pentax last winter. Even one or two 'official type' reviews have mentioned it.

Comment by Gedski posted on Old question, new slant. Help needed please. at 09/10/2014 - 18:05

Gedski
It's been a long time away but I have kept viewing these forums. Auto focus with Pentax when photographing birds in flight. The general consensus has been that Pentax are too slow to catch said shots. After spending the summer searching the likes of flickr, I'm not at all sure that this is wholly correct.

I would like someone with the knowledge to tell me if my current thoughts are correct or otherwise.

1. It is the Pentax camera that is slow and therefore can't be improved upon. OR

2. It is only the lens that has a slow auto focus and can be improved upon. eg. The Pentax 50-200 kit lens, I think, is generally regarded as not the best to have. So, this may not be fast enough to capture birds in flight.

3. For want of an example, by using a Tamron 18-270 or similar, Sigma etc lens, will have a fast enough auto focus so therefore will be able to capture birds in flight.

I am still using a Canon 700D but still want to return to a Pentax. One reason but not the only one is that Pentax have two control buttons/wheels for shutter speed and aperture stops. This would be a huge help to me as I have great difficulty using the Canon system which does nothing to assist my arthritic fingers. Many thanks to those of you who may be able to help me.

Comment by Gedski posted on Old question, new slant. Help needed please. at 09/10/2014 - 10:01

Gedski
Thanks for that, Walt. It looks like they are all much of a muchness. I am thinking that I wouldn't notice the difference if I used all three cameras. I am certainly not anywhere near being good enough to tell the difference.

johnriley. Looked up the focus priority/focus release. To avoid typing it all out, here is where to find it, if anyone might like to know. K5II manual, menu 3, items 15 and 16. I quite like the idea of being able to lock on before I take the shot.

My choice is strictly between the Canon 700D and the Pentax K5II. The final decision will totally depend upon the total price of the two cameras plus any lenses. Thank you all.

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50 auto focus, question please? at 28/05/2014 - 16:36

Gedski
As always, my grateful appreciation to you all for your assistance.

Walt, I'm afraid I couldn't really work out the French in your link and as I am not pc literate, I've left well alone with the Google interpreter.

Mike-P, I must admit, the 70D is my first choice but it is financially beyond me. I could get the camera body but would not have any lenses.

johnriley, I'm going to look into the focus priority/release priority in the K5II manual right now. I'm not ready to give up on the K5II just yet.

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50 auto focus, question please? at 28/05/2014 - 14:23

Gedski
After much deliberation I have reduced my new camera choices down to just two. They are, the Canon 700D and the Pentax K5 II, not the 's' model.

I know what I shall get with the Canon 700D, so it will need no further discussion. I am unsure what the K5 II will give me. I do not have any concerns about all types of 'still' shots. My concerns are only about my birds in flight shots. I do all mine handheld only [ the camera, that is , not the birds].

I have sought out the K5-II because of the SAFOX focusing system thinking that this will enable me to do decent birds in flight shots. I would like to hear from any of you who have the K5-II and 'do' birds in flight shots. I should also add that I need to make my final choice by this Friday.

My lenses are to be one of the proprietary 70-300mm and either a Pentax 18-50mm or 50mm f1.8 lens. Please can you help me in my dilemma?

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50 auto focus, question please? at 27/05/2014 - 19:26

Gedski
Thanks for all your assistance gentlemen, especially to Walt. I have had a look at your shots on flickr. I'm impressed. I now need to decide which way I am going to jump.

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50 auto focus, question please? at 24/05/2014 - 10:21

Gedski
It is some little time since last I visited. The reason being that I have had, in the ensuing time a Canon 650D.

Now I have been given the chance to change /upgrade my camera, I have the auto focus problem back. I have mentioned here previously that I have always had an affection for Pentax cameras. When I last got the chance to go for a DSLR, I was torn between the Pentax and the Canon.

Despite much searching and asking of questions I could not get a definitive answer to this one question. How much slower is the auto focus on, now, a K-50 and a Canon 70D?

My current research reveals that at least one review of the K-50 says that it's auto focus is very fast and on a par with the equivalent 'Canikon' cameras. While most say that it still lags behind.

I enjoy doing birds in flight shots, however, I am by no means what you would call a photographer but I manage to get some decent shots. Would I notice the difference in the two cameras auto focus or would only a professional photographer notice?

This will be my final camera change so I would like to get some accurate and definitive responses, please.

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50 auto focus, question please? at 20/05/2014 - 19:22

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo