DoctorJeff

Joined: 12th January 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

DoctorJeff
That was fun, Stefan.
Do I take a guess that you are interested in colour perception - or just vision.
When I went to the European Conference on Visual Perception, there were always a lot of researchers there from the Netherlands.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Colour Vision test at 01/07/2010 - 22:34

DoctorJeff
Works fine for me.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Updated Guidelines at 25/06/2010 - 22:38

DoctorJeff
Amazon have a good price on the Hornung at the moment.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on colour: book advice please at 23/06/2010 - 10:38

DoctorJeff
Wow! This is no trivial question.
Colour from the viewpoint of an artist?
Colour from the viewpoint of perceptual psychologist?
Colour from a viewpoint between the two (psychology of emotion perhaps)?

The best simple explanation I have found is (Dont Laugh!):
Avotie, A., (1994) Gastronomic Colour Theory and Composition. Saarionen Oy, Tampere, Finland.
I have the English translation published by Gummerus Kirjapano Oy. It might be easier to search for under the ISBN number 951-96881-3-7.

Most psychological texts will deal with stuff like the rods and cones, wavelengths, etc; Avotie's book discusses stuff more relevant to photography like lightness and brightness and composition.

If Avotie is hard to find (may be out of print by now) you could try for:
Hornung, D., Colour: A Workshop for Artists and Designers pub by Laurence King as a paperback.

HTH
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on colour: book advice please at 23/06/2010 - 09:04

DoctorJeff
No, its the David and Nick double act.

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on What does Pm mean?? at 11/06/2010 - 08:17

DoctorJeff
johnriley wrote:
I find it incredible that they had 700 viruses...perhaps the computer experts amongst us could make some comments as to whether that is possible or just faulty reporting by whatever AV software they are using?
Yes, this is quite possible - BUT - more likely it is a much lesser number of viruses that have replicated themselves into as many folders as possible.
Disconnected from the internet for obvious reasons, you can use the "Search" function to see if you have (say) 100 examples of "virus.exe" or if the AV program has found 100 different viruses.

Re AVG:
I was an AVG fan for some years. It did let two really nasty viruses through. The first one was subsequently picked up by AVG (too late) which points up the need to update your AV program's definition files very very regularly. That one rewrote the "Hosts" table so that I could not contact any AV site on the internet for help. (OK, so I knew that trick and how to get round it). After I had spent a day cleaning as much as I could out of the machine, my son-in-law took it away to deal with - the printout of what was left ran to two pages, and almost all was down to duplicates.
The second time I changed the HD and did a clean install. Now I use Windows Security Essentials (WSE), and SuperAntiSpyware. Other people that I know trust other programs.YGMMV.

Having any AV program is not a whole lot of use on its own.
You have to update it regularly (WSE is on auto-update)and use it regularly.
Call it house-keeping - run the AV and the spyware programs once or twice a week as a minimum.
Geoff (with over 25 years computer experience, and still a lot to learn :lol

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Virus at 10/06/2010 - 14:29

DoctorJeff
Try the Zeiss forum.
Actually, I am still a member so I'll post a query tomorrow.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Carl Zeiss Jena Info at 06/06/2010 - 22:58

DoctorJeff
Algernon wrote:
I've never heard of a virus attached to a JPG
Algi
You would be horrified to find out just what can be contained in a JPG file. But, in this case, it is "unlikely".
I had a similar problem a few months back, went through all the usual routines of removing all the accumulated junk and de-fragging the HD, but the real crunch came when a program I relied on (SuperAntiSpyware, or SAS) ran so slowly that it was overtaken by a glacier. SAS were not able to offer a cure. It was fairly obvious that some malignant software was responsible. I put a new HD in, formatted it with the PC Manufacturer's rescue disk (early XP Home), went through a lot of hassle to get the Windows Service Packs downloaded, and now the PC is back up to speed (wish I was).
SAS now flies again and I tried out the new Microsoft Security Essentials program. The early one was a load of ****, the new one is rather good. AVG is good also, but some anti-spyware programs will not work with it. You pays yer money, or downloads yer freebie, and takes yer choice.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Virus at 06/06/2010 - 22:48

DoctorJeff
Quote:
Stephan wrote:
SDHC is so outdated, the new generation called SDXC is already out so buy one that accept SDXC and you're good to go till they make an SD that support 2TB
So which Pentax DSLR accepts SDXC cards? The K-7 only takes SDHC, as does the Kx. SDHC became the norm from the K100DSuper onward. The chances of an SD card supporting 2TB is exactly zero - the official specification is for 2GB max. Take a look at:
http://www.sdcard.org/home/
Quote:
Stephan wrote:
If something goes wrong during transfer you only get an corrupted write but the corrupted file should still be on the original place since it only deletes after it's fully cut/copied.
I only wish that were true. So does my daughter. She lost the entire contents of her memory card when her battery died in the middle of a transfer. Camera-to-PC transfers have worked for a lot of people - including me in the past - but they have also caused a lot of problems. All it takes is a corrupted FAT; the images may still be there, but specalist file recovery software will be needed to get at them. Very few folk can be bothered to charge their batteries right up before doing the transfer, or using a separate PSU.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on card readers at 06/06/2010 - 22:20

DoctorJeff
Two quick thoughts:
- Direct camera-to-PC has one problem: If the battery(s)go flat in the middle of a transfer, you will probably lose all the pics. Note that the direct approach will run the battery(s) down faster than normal.
- The big difference in card readers is whether they will handle SDHC cards, or only the SD ones. I got a load of 2gb SD cards because my reader will only handle SDs. Note that ASDA currently offer one that will handle both types for only £5. Worth a gamble, I think (usual disclaimer).
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on card readers at 06/06/2010 - 19:08

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo