PLUS

davidrobinson

Joined: 2nd November 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

davidrobinson
Not that I am too bothered about the video but is it just my K7 that the video sound output volume is poor. When playing back video clips through the camera even with output level set at max the sound is very low. When played back through PC the quality is reasonable but the sound output is still very low. Pentax emailed me and suggested I use an external mic. I am unlikely to use video enough to justify buying external mic so has anyone else found a problem with built in mic.

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 Low Video sound at 17/12/2010 - 19:57

davidrobinson
fatspider wrote:
Yup! you got it wrong Gareth,

Write out 100 times I must pay more attention

But yes TAv is much more useful, I see Sv as something a beginer would use in place of Program if they want to make sure the noise levels are low.
Story of my life also!!!!!!
I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention I must pay more attention-----
David

Comment by davidrobinson posted on Sensitivity Priority Mode- when would you use it? at 16/12/2010 - 17:22

davidrobinson
Can you help. For some time images print out a lot darker than when viewed using PS Elements 6. In addition they appear a lot darker viewed in Elements than when viewed with Windows or after uploading. Please see the image below, it has more impact in the darker form, but that is not how I saw it when viewed in Elements Organizer or Editor which was much brighter.Comment Image

Comment by davidrobinson posted on Photoshop Elements displays images too brightly at 02/12/2010 - 12:02

davidrobinson
Thanks and please tell me how to do it. Can I post an image onto the forum?
Regards David

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 29/11/2010 - 16:24

davidrobinson
Yes I am now totally convinced my early poor results were down to the impatient man behind the view finder. I am getting better and better photos. Thanks for the tolerance of all contributors. Im not sure how to link an image to a Forum post and hope the link below to an image I am proud of will work. I tweaked it in Photoshop Elements Cropping and fine tuning Highlights/Shadows/Sharpness.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/user-12009/robin-22919

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 29/11/2010 - 12:36

davidrobinson
I see a wonderful mixed and informative response from the forum members. Thank you, and I have to agree with almost all of you. The K7 will produce absolutely brilliant results when correctly set for the situation. However I didn't expect to point and shoot and get master pieces, I did expect to get acceptable images. To start with despite playing with WB, aperture, shutter settings etc etc, I couldnt get an image that was worth processing let alone printing. Now even if I dont have time and forget to set the camera correctly the images are good no they are excellent. And when the camera is set accordingly they amaze me even pre processing. Why I dont know but after 48 hours use the camera went from awfull to excellent.

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 25/11/2010 - 23:23

davidrobinson
davidrobinson wrote:
I have just bought my first DSLR the K7, upgrading from a Fuji 9600s. I bought it with the kit lenses 18-55mm WR and 50-200mm WR. Up to now I am unimpressed with image quality. I have tried changing settings to ensure ISO stays low but I still find images are noisey grainy and with poor sharpness. AF Focus seems to be accurate when using view finder, anti shake is ON. I have tried alternative sharpness settings etc but see no improvement with image quality. What am I doing wrong or is it due to the KIT lenses? If so do they cause image noise associated with high ISO even when ISO is set to no more than 200?
Thanks for advice and support, its nice to have help from most of you and not the silly points scoring that appears to be take place on this forum. I thought it was a place to exchange ideas and assist each other not treat new comers as idiots. Not everyone has been like that and I have taken all sensible advice from many on the forum, thanks to those who have been so understanding.
I have changed very little camera settings from when I was first disappointed with my K7. In fact after thinking the VIBRANT setting improved the clarity of the images I have gone back to the default BRIGHT setting with AWB and + 2 sharpening. After binning around 500 of the K7's early images its now producing the out of camera photos I expect from a top quality camera. They were terrible with the same settings before. No amount of Photoshop editing made them acceptable.
So why now is the camera producing such excellent results, could it be that sensors don’t perform properly when brand new? My Fuji's S9600 and S602 were also a disappointment to start with but with no in camera changes making any difference they both improved with use.
I have to say that my K7 is now and excellent camera, now I can get down to taking photo's and enjoying my hobby.
A final thank you for all of your support and sensible suggestions.
David

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 22/11/2010 - 20:21

davidrobinson
vjayshutterbug wrote:
Am loving my new k7, but I did notice that the pictures aren't as contrasty or maybe not as sharp as what I had achieved on k2000? I know the default setting is on "bright", but is there adjustments you K7 owners make to sharpness and contrast? Or is this a preferable way, and make any adjustments on the computer later? Thanks for any opinions on this.
Hi
I'm also finding the K7 images not as punchy or sharp as I expected. I have come from a Fuji 9600 which had much higher clarity and sharper punchy images. Probably over vibrant.
I have played with the in camera sharpness settings and find only slight improvement, however I have selected the in camera VIBRANT setting. This has transformed the images they are sharper and much easier on the eye. The default BRIGHT setting is what gives images a washed out tone. In addition I have almost stopped using the AWB altogether as this gave some of my images colour cast which softened the images too much. I have compared RAW and JPEG images with these settings. When opening both types up in Photoshop Elements they are both very acceptable. The RAW images are slightly better quality but straight from the camera not much to choose between. I am interested to see what I can do with the RAW files in Photoshop if I ever get time.
Regards Dave

Comment by davidrobinson posted on k7 settings? at 21/11/2010 - 20:55

davidrobinson
johnriley wrote:
Getting back to the OP, the Fiji 9600 is actually not that good in terms of image quality. The Pentax K-7 should be considerably better and don'[t forget that the kit lens is actually quite a good one.

Was it new? If it was second hand perhaps the previous owner has set something oddly, or perhaps the camera and/or lens are damaged.

There is a reset to factory defaulots option in the menu. After that, set maximum quality levels in JPEG Premium setting and you should have no problem. 200ISO is a good place to start with sensitivity. Make sure that camera shake is not a problem, use centre-spot AF and set Daylight WB. If there is still a problem it may be as simple as a fault, in which case that needs addressing.
Hello
My K7 was brand new and shipped into London Camera exchange from France as Pentax UK was out of stock. The K7 and 18-55 lens was shrink sealed together but the 50-200 lens was supplied seperately althought the box was not shrunk wrapped it looked brand new. The camera had the early 1.0 firmware which I have upgraded to 1.1 which I believe is latest level.
QUESTION
Is there any advantage in changing sharpness settings in camera. How do sharpness adjustments via bar graph differ from the Fine Sharpness 1 or 2 also available, and can they be used together?
Regards Dave

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 21/11/2010 - 16:51

davidrobinson
davidrobinson wrote:
I have just bought my first DSLR the K7, upgrading from a Fuji 9600s. I bought it with the kit lenses 18-55mm WR and 50-200mm WR. Up to now I am unimpressed with image quality. I have tried changing settings to ensure ISO stays low but I still find images are noisey grainy and with poor sharpness. AF Focus seems to be accurate when using view finder, anti shake is ON. I have tried alternative sharpness settings etc but see no improvement with image quality. What am I doing wrong or is it due to the KIT lenses? If so do they cause image noise associated with high ISO even when ISO is set to no more than 200?
Hello again
UPDATE
I have been out in slightly better light and got slightly better results but still not totally happy. Today however I have been playing with settings and find that on a grey day the AWB is not by any means perfect, so have tried a few shots with Shade WB and centre or centre weighted metering this has omproved images greatly. If I am still unhappy in a day or two will probably post some images and restart the thread.
Thanks and thanks again for all the advice, I have taken it all on board and I know most of the problems are due to driver error.

Comment by davidrobinson posted on K7 poor image quality at 21/11/2010 - 10:51

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo