PLUS

Daronl

Joined: 7th August 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Daronl
The light is always a challenge in rainforest environments and flash is definately not appreciated if there are older Orangutans around but in this case the animal was high in the tree canopy above a feeding platform and as the high foliage was swaying there were brief instances when dappled sunlight penetrated a little which gave perfect balance to the light providing the Orangutan was near the top of the foliage.

The ambient light at ground level was very poor so I had to get fairly high up above them on a slope and got a bit more height on an adjacent Jambo tree which is one of the few trees in the forest with low level branches that you can climb.

I waited several hours each day around the time when the rangers put fruit on the feeding platform below but either the Orangutans didn't show up or i could't get the shots as they moved up higher in the canopy

Eventually I got several very nice shots on just one day as well as many "not so good shots" on other days.

The most pleasing thing though is not only the performance of the k5IIs but the IQ of the 60-250 DA* at wide open aperture (f4), fully extended to 250mm; it really says a lot about the Pentax glass and lens design.

Comment by Daronl posted on Reasons not to buy a K5 ii s at £350 at 31/05/2015 - 05:28

Daronl
K5IIs; I am increasingly using my K5IIs In low light where it seems, in some lighting conditions, superior to the K3; having been shooting indoor court sports (no flash permitted) for an International Sports Village Gallery over the last few months, the K5IIs has become indispensable coupled with two 1.4 f prime lenses, for stopping the action in such sports as Basketball, volleyball, badminton etc (at court-side) and other indoor action sports such as marshall arts and fencing.

The gallery prints are typically 14 x 11 / 16 x12 with some larger specials so the quality has to be first class. I have produced almost 100 prints from both the the K3 and the K5IIs, which affords a good opportunity to compare both bodies on the same lenses.

I believe the K5IIs will become one of those classics of the future we often talk about like the ME Super with uncomplicated but very practical handling characteristics and just the right range and layout of useable functions.

I used to only carry it as a travel camera when I first bought it but now not so, it must be said however in outdoor events or where there is good ambient indoor lighting I reach for the K3 for that extra bit of resolution and performance.

However not taking anything away from the K3, the K5IIs is my favourite Pentax camera since the MeSuper/ SuperA film era cameras and the K10D in the digital era.

Check out the Orangutang portrait below taken using the K5IIS in Borneo in typical jungle light mounted with the wonderful 60 -250 DA* ; this will give you a good example of how this camera performs.

Comment Image


I almost sold it a little while back,having two K3 bodies, but sold one of those instead.

Jump at it for £350.

missmarple wrote:
I am considering picking upone of the K5 ii s from Jessops. Is there a better option at the moment. Is one of the newer cameras a better long term option.

Many thanks mm

Comment by Daronl posted on Reasons not to buy a K5 ii s at £350 at 30/05/2015 - 10:03

Daronl
Tamron 1.4 Converter vs Pentax HD

I have both (now)

Several Months back I had the same dilemma and wrote on PU that proper testing under strictly controlled conditions confirmed no difference between either in optical performance.

They were so uncannily identical I suspected they were from the same stable.I returned the Pentax and got a refund and quite happily used the Tamron.

However, in the depths of winter I spent some considerable time out on a nearby, very exposed estuary photographing migrant wild fowl and despite performing "optically" very well, the Tamron developed a tangible lack of "tightness" (security) with the 300 DA* mounted on it.

It still performed well optically (see Water Rail below);Comment Image
Clearly however, I was concerned about potential problems given the very extreme weather conditions I was exposing my equipment too out on the marsh.


I duly "re-purchased" the Pentax HD; This time however I not only found the Pentax HD Converter was very different to the Tamron but very different to the firsts Pentax HD Converter I purchased (directly from Pentax on the release date)

This unit actually seems to improve focus speed when coupled with the 300 DA* and as we know maintains good IQ

So the bottom line: I do think there is a performance improvement, certainly a weather sealing advantage but in IQ terms I honestly can detect a discernible difference but can't help but think there must be and over time it will become apparent, and I am sorry to end on such a nebulous and unscientific final comment.

Comment by Daronl posted on Pentax 1.4 rear converter comparison at 10/05/2015 - 14:17

Daronl
My Classic choice:

I have come to think of the K5 IIS as the modern day ME Super; I have number of Pentax bodies including a K3 and also a Canon FF but I just carry that K5 IIs everywhere,

I just took the bold step (for me) of going on holidays to southern Italy with only the K IIs , the much under-rated 18-135 WR, a polarising filter, UV filter, a ND Grad (screw in), a spare battery and a 64Gb card, the camera and lens were protected in a tight fitting neoprene case

Normally I would take two bodies, a lens for every eventuality, a ring flash and a Metz 58, tripod, and so on.

On this trip I did not feel "naked" and even managed one or two good bird photographs and a couple of good insect shots.

The set up was so convenient and just freed me up from the toils of a 20 kilo back pack. I didn't miss anything really and the 18-135 coupled with the K5 IIs was just great for much more than just the general holiday shots

I can't imagine parting with that K5 IIs no matter what comes or goes (or the lovely little 18-135) .

Comment by Daronl posted on What 'classic' digital pentaz SLR would you recommend at 10/05/2015 - 13:08

Daronl
See example ofComment Image
random spurious images being dispayed on PU site

Comment by Daronl posted on Site very slow, just me? at 08/05/2015 - 14:23

Daronl
Definately something wrong as the site is displaying random pictures in random fields on the page; usually current advert or gallety images simultaneously and often replicated several times.

Comment by Daronl posted on Site very slow, just me? at 08/05/2015 - 14:05

Daronl
Super condition Z1p and same in mx5

Comment by Daronl posted on Anyone with film cameras et al to sell? at 29/04/2015 - 23:20

Daronl
Given the very informative thread of the US link quoted above by Jeanallen01; If there is a specific set up to optimise the AF system for BIF then perhaps Ricoh could build in a preset or even add it to the mode dial or is that too simple for them.


BIF; I have written numerous posts in the not too distant past, based on extensive field testing and "dissapointment" with two K3's, always gravitating back to my K5iis which unexplainably and "seemingly" ( I used the word as it is meant) offers a a minor improvement in "keepers" .

Sports; Based on extensive engagement in this area of work I don't get too many problems on sports / action photography of which it is fair to say takes up a dissproportionate amount of my paid time.

The often criticised DA* 60-250 is virtually faultless on field sports and for indoor low light court sports, providing you are actually at courtside , the Sigma DGs 35 and 85 f1.4s are without equal when mounted on either the K3 or K 5iis

However as regards bird photography In this day and age there is no excuse for not "more or less" keeping up with the competition and based on using a D7 which does the BIF job much better and without the need for " complex set up gymnastics" Pentax are not in the game.

Even some of the earlier models (see below K20D) could produce decent BIF shots within limits;

Comment Image


This bird was stooping at quite a high speed

I believe like many, that the k3 is a great camera and view my K5iis almost as the "ME Super of the digital age" but unless Ricoh pull a " rabbit from the hat" as regards focus on the much anticipated FF there will be dissapointed loyal Pentaxians, particularly enthusiasts and aspiring pros, who will leave the brand.

If the FF doesn't enable and experienced user to just pick up the FF and get a decent performance on BIFs then it means that Ricoh are not listening.

I am "holding my breath" as opposed to " not holding my breath" being a loyal Pentax user but my "elastic is stretched"

Comment by Daronl posted on About Pentax’s long standing AF issue at 29/04/2015 - 07:36

Daronl
And very nice it is too, the cat and the lens that is!

Comment by Daronl posted on our cat at 28/04/2015 - 22:03

Daronl
I have had this flash for two years or more, buying it whilst enroute in Asia and having had a Metz "lifted" and whilst a have had consistently good results i have basically only used it in auto mode.

It seems "much ado about nothing" given what appears to be a "user hostlie" interface with host of technical features that are a litlle unweildy.

Having chased it up on various sites to ensure I was doing it justice it really did puzzle me that whilst it had this wide array of features and functions it wouldn't swivel and so far I have not found away of cancelling or adjusting the auto time out afterwhich the flash resets to default so you hace to reset eveything which is a real pain.

It has been universally panned ( eg; http://extreme-macro.co.uk/pentax-af360fgz-flash/) but after Nigel's excellent post I may be doing it an injustice.

So maybe if the timeout / reset issue can be overcome then it is a better proposition than I thought ; any ideas how to overcome this singly most infuriating problem.

Thanks Nigel for an excellent technical description of the operating modes and maybe you can advise on the problem above,






McGregNi wrote:
Flash power settings depend on the operating mode ... If you are using P-TTL auto-flash exposure mode, then it is the flash system itself that determines the actual flash power that is discharged for each shot. This is based on calculations made instantly from the pre-flash light reflected back to the camera, and it also knows the aperture and ISO as well. In this case, you have some control over the output with Flash Compensation settings, both on the flashgun and the cameras ... This is set in 'stops' of compensation in a range of -2 to plus 1 stops.

The other common mode is manual, and the difference here is that the system is not measuring reflectance back from the subject ... Output is set as a fixed power level related to full power in ratios, eg 1/2 , 1/4, 1/32nd etc. You are not' compensating' for a measured output, so this is not 'Flash compensation'.

Both these methods of control are made using the main dial and select button on the flash ... They will be available appropriately as you change into each flash mode.

There is one more mode still useful on todays cameras, 'Auto-flash' A mode. This uses the flashes own light sensor to measure output required, and is especially helpful when using manual non-coupled lenses, because the system is told the aperture and ISO directly by the user. In this case, power adjustments are made by 'tricking' the flash into thinking that that camera is set differently ...eg, camera is set to ISO 100, but you dial in ISO 400 on the flash ... This will produce 2 stops less light than the system measures as needed.

Comment by Daronl posted on Af 360 fgz help at 18/04/2015 - 09:41

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo