bladerunneruk

Joined: 30th November 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bladerunneruk
According to another forum the beta phase of DSPro is over and the full version is about to be released. According to translation below it will be available for sale from http://www.silkypix.com from 16th December

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.isl.co.jp%2FSILKYPIX%...

NB I am not sure if this is Japanese only or if it includes the English version. Any japanese readers able to help out ?

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Silkypix Developer Studio Pro at 07/12/2008 - 21:04

bladerunneruk
I was idly looking at lenses earlier, and saw the price here http://www.adorama.com/PX5514AFD.html UK equiv approx 500GBP and I agree with the OP, it seems a bit steep. I would have to do a lot more portrait work to go for this at this price, makes the FA43 look like darn good value IMO, still I've never used an FA*85 so perhaps I'm missing something !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on 55 DA* SDM at 03/12/2008 - 23:10

bladerunneruk
RichardDay wrote:
I actually decided to go for a K20D rather than any new lenses and find the many incremental improvements and also the additions above the K10D to be very worthwhile, not to mention the extra resolution and improvement in dynamic range of the K20D.

At the moment, if bought with a lens, there is a £100 cashback, which makes it very attractive. Looking at your line-up I would suggest the K20D plus a DA55-300, making it £638 from SRS, if you then sold your K10D you should recoup approx another £200+ to reduce the outlay.
heh heh heh. Now don't tempt me like that Richard, you know I've been keeping track of the K20 price on another forum My resolve is firm.......ish

what do you make of the robustness of the 55-300 ?

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on what would you add to the kit ? at 03/12/2008 - 13:50

bladerunneruk
Hi folks
is this the new DA-L version with the synthetic bayonet supposed to be released about the same time as the K-m or the original one with the metal bayonet ? I know the website says with quickshift, I just wondered what arrived for those who have bought one.

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Possible misprice Jessops Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DA ED Lens at 02/12/2008 - 23:22

bladerunneruk
Are Jessops possibly trying to clear stock ?
If you click on the in-stock option then only 2 pentax lenses show up, this and the FA77 !
peculiar

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Possible misprice Jessops Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DA ED Lens at 02/12/2008 - 13:47

bladerunneruk
Unlocker wrote:
Pentax have upped the wholesale prices from 15% starting 1st Dec due to the exchange rate. If you're gonna do it, do it quick whilst stores still have stock at existing prices, they will go up!
Hi there, my thoughts entirely, get in whilst you can

Quote:
Would have said DA* 50-135 myself as well, and there's cashback on it too!
another vote for this then !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on what would you add to the kit ? at 02/12/2008 - 13:41

bladerunneruk
Clarky wrote:
The 50-135 is a cracker but I wouldn't consider it a walk around lens A bit too long with the hood attached and heavy also.

The 55-300 or an 18-250 would be my preference. I really want a 60-250 but it also would be heavy and a bit over your percieved budget i'm afraid. cheers
Hi, thanks for your comments.

I have thought about the 50-135, my feeling is I might get a bit frustrated that it doesn't go to say 24-35 ish. In principle it does pair nicely with the 16-45 I have though, I wonder about in practise, anyone own this combo and have any comments ?

The IQ of the 55-300 does look very promising, my concern is how robust it is in the longer term, it looks like it extends quite a lot.

I've not looked at the 18-250 much, I was put off by the speed 3.5-6.3 and comments that it's a bit soft from 100mm+.

I have been tempted by the 60-250 (to replace the 70-210), I just hope pentax get it right, it's an unusual range, but better to stand out from the crowd than to have another 70-200 clone ? based on using my 70-210 I feel the extra range down to 60mm would be useful. (but it's not out yet and isn't subject to the cashback offer AFAIK)

this is harder than I thought, but a pleasant dilemma nonetheless !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on what would you add to the kit ? at 02/12/2008 - 13:39

bladerunneruk
Quote:
[quote:3496ace15f="ikillrocknroll"]Pfft clarky
I know people who walkabout with a Bigma!

If I look at the lenses you have there, the ones I can see being best are

16-45
35
50
200
agreed in general

Quote:
whats the performance of the 35-70 and the 70-210 like?
see
http://www.photodo.com/product_288.html for 35-70
and http://www.photodo.com/product_291.html for 70-210
the 70-210 is a fairly good lens, not so contrasty as more modern lenses but zoom mechanics are solidly built IMO, the focusing mech less so IMO.

Quote:
I would go for the 50-135 F/2.8

Actually thats a lie. I would go for 12-24 F/4. But thats me
hmmm, the 12-24 (and the forthcoming 15ltd) is an interesting prospect, I've never used a really wide angle lens, but it would add a new dimension. Is 12mm really that different to the 16mm end I already have ? Why the 12-24 rather than the 10-17 fish (+de-fish s/w) in your opinion ?

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on what would you add to the kit ? at 02/12/2008 - 13:20

bladerunneruk
Hi folks
thinking that prices in UK might be at their low point for quite a while I am thinking of spending my christmas present in advance (if I can persuade the mrs it's a good move of course !!)

I mainly shoot landscapes, a bit of wildlife and a few portraits and a few macros. I guess travel photography would be my 'category' if any !

What would you choose to fill out the kit below if you had say up to 300-500 GBP to spend ? pentax preferably, but any brand considered, and thinking no more lenses allowed for say 2years (!). 2nd hand lenses OK.

Anyway - I have K10D with
DA 16-45/4
FA 28-80
sigma 28-200
FA 35/2
F 35-70
A50/f1.7
M50/1.7
F 70-210
DA*200/2.8
AFA1.7x

I will get rid of FA28-80, sigma28-200, I might scrape 50 for the pair I would guess, to add to the budget.

I find the 16-45 a bit short at times but I like it and it was a present from the mrs a couple of years ago so I can't really dump it, the F70-210 is a bit long in the tooth (old) but still works OK. I have a bit of a gap in the 45-70 zoom range which is covered by my 35-70, but that's 3 lenses for 16-210, so I sometimes find myself wishing for a bit more of a 'walkabout' lens from 24ish up to about 100-135mm. A slightly longer zoom range above 210 would be nice, provided not too heavy or long, it needs to be rucsac portable.

I'm wondering about a 60-250 (i know it's not out yet); FA28-105 or a FA24-90; or a 55-300 to add to the arsenal.

thanks for your thoughts

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on what would you add to the kit ? at 01/12/2008 - 19:20

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo