bladerunneruk

Joined: 30th November 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bladerunneruk
Hi folks, guessing this might have been a popular Christmas present so someone might know...

PCWorld (UK) website suggests that the wacom bamboo fun comes with photoshop elements

which version of elements is it ?

did anyone get one from amazon with elements included ?

thanks

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Bamboo Fun - which version of elements is bundled with it ? at 14/01/2009 - 13:37

bladerunneruk
I tried accessing the forum again today from the isl jp website and got this message .....

"The Forum has been temporarily closed. Updates are being made.

We will be back soon..."

hopefully they will fix the problems they have been having when entering via shortcutinc's website

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Problem on silkypix website ?? at 09/01/2009 - 13:56

bladerunneruk
Oggy wrote:
Yup - I was right.

...but one quirk I have noticed, if I open a photo with PhotoMe, it reports the lens as "SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II", although it does report the correct actual focal length. Any ideas?
sigma lenses are notorious for getting the reference code wrong for pentax cameras, my old sigma 28-200 is reported incorrectly when used on my K10D, just ignore it.

If it really bothers you I understand this sort of data can be edited in the image file, others may have some suggestions for such editors, I haven't done it myself (yet).

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Sigma 150-500 on a K20D? at 07/01/2009 - 22:26

bladerunneruk
Roscoe wrote:
The voucher is sent out by Pentax through the post, it's not from the UK, I believe from Belgium or the Netherlands.

It's to be reedemed against various purchases at the "Pro dealer" that you purchased your camera and lens from.

It's values depend on what you purchase, obviously the more expensive the item the voucher values rise pro rata.
The K20D is not sold in kit form, the camera body is in a box and the lens is in a box, they are not combined together as a kit!
You need to purchase a camera and a lens to qualify for the £100 cashback!
For further details phone Pentax and ask for Andrew Mellor!
Hi Roscoe,
thanks for the extra info about the voucher Seems like pentax are supporting their pro centres ?

I'm a bit puzzled by the 'not sold in kit form' comment though, since the cashback form says "K20D Camera and Lens Kit £100", but maybe we're just being picky on terminology !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Cashback and voucher ! at 07/01/2009 - 20:32

bladerunneruk
Hi Roscoe, why the extra £15 'voucher' ? - which item is it redeemed against, or is it just a "we'll be nice to park cameras" thing by pentax ?

http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/photo.html

reading the pentax cashback form you get £100 cashback on the K20 if bought in a kit, with any lens, but not body only

you can get cashback of £25 on the 55-300 without buying a camera body

cheers

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Cashback and voucher ! at 07/01/2009 - 13:56

bladerunneruk
aminstar wrote:
HI
Does anyone know of any reasonably good software that I could use to start reorganising my pictures as I have reached the stage that I better start it all over again. Like many I have ended with lots of duplicates scattered on my C drive and I had started backing them up on my external one so its all a mess now.

To make matters worse I have a laptop also and wife loads pics in there from her digicam that I have passed on to her. The main pictures which are of common interest and that I find more difficult to organise are the family and the little ones specially, as they are loads and loads of them and now quite a few duplicates.

Now that I have upgraded to DSLR and getting to grips with it I definitely have started separating my lot but its the old ones that I want to streamline and start making some sense with them.

Any suggestions or advice please?
Much appreciated

Amin
Try looking into imatch, it has the ability to search for duplicate images, or visually similar images, or alternatively via the exif data such as original image creation date.

http://www.photools.com/products.php

I have had this on trial and am impressed, has a v.helpful user group too.

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Software to detect and delete duplicate images at 06/01/2009 - 23:24

bladerunneruk
ElySimon wrote:
Can “amateurs” justify “Professional” quality lenses?

I am looking to update my lens collection to make the most of my K10D, the latest offerings from Pentax look simply Awesome the Pentax DA* 300mm F4 & Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 are very tempting, to say the least.

I would describe myself as a “Keen amateur” taking portraits, wildlife and landscape – but essentially its a hobby. I am assuming that this is quite common, if so – can we justify almost a thousand pounds for a lens.

My heart says yes but my head/wife says no, what do you think?

Thanks Simon
I know exactly what you mean, being in the keen amateur boat myself.

FWIW, consider how many older lenses are used on pentax bodies - even back to M42 mount takumars get used ! I'm using one 20yr old lens regularly, so it's not unreasonable to anticipate a decent period of use for a new lens, especially a prime and the better quality you buy the better it should last.

for pro vs am I think the key thing is how much use it will get.

It's daft to put a top quality lens on a shelf and worship it rather than use it.

Is a £500 DA12-24/4 better value than a £700 70-200/2.8 ? it's up to your style of shooting. Buy a cheap lens in that zoom range, if it's used lots then you can justify the purchase IMHO.

I'm leaving the whole image quality pt aside, just my 2d worth.

enjoy the dilemma!

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Can amateurs justify Professional quality lenses? at 02/01/2009 - 13:38

bladerunneruk
GX10Cliff wrote:


I know its getting close to party time folks, but could I have some feedback please. I took about 30 pics early today and a lot of them have a magenta colour cast down both sides. Is this due to bad exposure, or something along those lines.

Samsung 50-200
1/400,f4, 800iso

Cheers.
I don't see any colour cast down both sides, by eye I see a slight green tinge on lhs and slight pink tinge on rhs and about even in middle. (NB awaiting huey replacement!)

RGB values are
topleft: 130/128/139; topright 141/139/153
botleft: 81/81/85; botright 82/78/88
suggests too much blue in the white balance to me, the histogram looks like blue channel is shifted to the right a bit.

silkypix greypt tool gives ~7000 for lopleft, 7300 for topright and 7132 in topmiddle (and corrects the blue shift in WB in all cases) which suggests slight range in WB across the scene to me.

solution ? set the WB to area near the topmiddle and then poss a gradient colour shift via photoshop, but I'm at beginner level in elements so don't know how, I've concentrated on trying to learn as much as poss about RAW conversion stage.

FWIW your later post (20.17) looks similar to me wrt colour 'shift'

hope this helps

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Coulour cast at 02/01/2009 - 11:51

bladerunneruk
Vikramkeshvala wrote:
They are also giving a 10 % exclusive discount at checkout
I e-mailed their customer service dept about the price of the pentax lens, pointing out how ridiculous their price was, this was the reply

".....Thank you for your e-mail regarding the price of the above catalogue number.

I am sorry Argos does not offer a price match guarantee. We do however review all our prices on a regular basis to ensure best value for customers across the whole of our product range. Please see our website www.argos.co.uk for the most up to date information on all of our prices, including our regular ?Wow? deals.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at >order. [email protected]< or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

(name removed)
Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team."

they don't offer price match, no kidding !!!

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on Argos DA50-200 wrong price at 01/01/2009 - 23:34

bladerunneruk
Do you feel you would like wider or longer than you have, or better somewhere within - in which case what focal length have you been using most on your current lens ?

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on I have about £350 what lens? at 29/12/2008 - 10:40

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo