bladerunneruk

Joined: 30th November 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bladerunneruk
bladerunneruk wrote:
Hi folks
I have a K5, on which there is a separate dial to choose between auto focus point selection and user choice

Is there similar functionality on the following and how does it work ?
K3 Mark 1
KP
K70
K1

thanks
The focus point selection dial is labelled AUTO, SEL, [.] on the K5

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on focus point selection at 04/05/2021 - 13:03

bladerunneruk
pschlute wrote:
Unfortunately Cactus are no longer making kit. A shame as I use V6II triggers with RF60X flash units (as well as Pentax flashes). I will continue to use them for as long as they work.
groan ! Thanks for the info pschlute.

grrrr !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 04/05/2021 - 12:22

bladerunneruk
bladerunneruk wrote:
Hi RobL, pschlute, thanks for you inputs, there are so many options on these cameras and flashguns it seems nearly impossible to nail things down with certainty, hence the original query

I have used the optical trigger (wireless) from pop-up flash quite a bit indoors with an AF540FGZ. As others have pointed out it does need to be aligned suitably with the optical receiver on the flash, for which imho a tilt and twist flashgun is essential. I've found it to be pretty reliable.

I also have a cactus v4 radio trigger which has worked quite well, .. until it didn't for no fathomable reason ! Sadly cactus no longer feel like the 'cheap option', at £90 for a v6 from wex. And replacement or new receivers are not to be found it seems, the store link does not open from https://www.cactus-image.com/products.html, nor can I find items on ebay or amazon. I have not investigated alternative 'cheap' options for radio triggers recently.

So the pop up flash is a handy function for me.

Photography is an expensive hobby, yes, but I personally find it irritating that the K3iii has dropped the capability when it's at an all bells and whistles price (okay bit unfair maybe as K3ii doesn't have it either)

Still, it narrows it down I suppose. Used K3
That last bit should read :-

Still, it narrows it down I suppose.
a) Used K3 Mark1 (£400-450)
b) new K70 (£600 currently) + radio trigger for off-camera flash (£ ???) or maybe a used k70
c) wait for KP new price to come back down to £600-700 or wait for a used one

food for thought, 'spending' time instead of £££ for now !

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 04/05/2021 - 12:21

bladerunneruk
Thanks for the suggestion stub, I'll look into godox options.

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 03/05/2021 - 23:31

bladerunneruk
Hi RobL, pschlute, thanks for you inputs, there are so many options on these cameras and flashguns it seems nearly impossible to nail things down with certainty, hence the original query

I have used the optical trigger (wireless) from pop-up flash quite a bit indoors with an AF540FGZ. As others have pointed out it does need to be aligned suitably with the optical receiver on the flash, for which imho a tilt and twist flashgun is essential. I've found it to be pretty reliable.

I also have a cactus v4 radio trigger which has worked quite well, .. until it didn't for no fathomable reason ! Sadly cactus no longer feel like the 'cheap option', at £90 for a v6 from wex. And replacement or new receivers are not to be found it seems, the store link does not open from https://www.cactus-image.com/products.html, nor can I find items on ebay or amazon. I have not investigated alternative 'cheap' options for radio triggers recently.

So the pop up flash is a handy function for me.

Photography is an expensive hobby, yes, but I personally find it irritating that the K3iii has dropped the capability when it's at an all bells and whistles price (okay bit unfair maybe as K3ii doesn't have it either)

Still, it narrows it down I suppose. Used K3

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 03/05/2021 - 23:30

bladerunneruk
PRYorkshire wrote:
No dedicated button but the quickest way on the K70 is to use Info button.
Aha, thanks PRYorkshire

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on metering mode selection at 02/05/2021 - 22:14

bladerunneruk
pschlute wrote:
I seem to remember that is not possible optically with the K70. You would need radio triggers for that
thanks pschlute

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 02/05/2021 - 22:07

bladerunneruk
RobL wrote:
According to the Ricoh website the flash includes wireless synch; I recall my K50 had this feature using the flashlight coordination so I would have been surprised if the K70 didn’t.
Hi RobL, thanks,
any chance you could point me to where in the site you found it please ?

https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/uk_en/mwdownloads/download/link/id/517/
lists wireless sync under 'external flash' but doesn't list 'wireless' as a flash mode for the built in flash if I understand correctly?

TBH I often doubt perfect accuracy of websites and user manuals so like to double check where poss!

cheers

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 02/05/2021 - 22:06

bladerunneruk
Hi folks,

just a query, is it possible to control an off-camera external flash (eg 540FGZ) in a wireless manner as per k3/k5 (wireless control mode, setting the 540 to slave mode IIRC) ?

thanks

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on query on K70 and external flash at 02/05/2021 - 15:32

bladerunneruk
Looking at K70 downloaded manual, to change the metering mode requires entry to menu system and modification from there, now way to change via a function button or a dial ?

Comment by bladerunneruk posted on metering mode selection at 02/05/2021 - 15:28

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo