Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wireless trigger for studio lights

johnriley
Posted 13/03/2011 - 16:36 Link
A trigger should just be that, a trigger. Once set off, the flash synch speed is 1/180s so the comment about black bands is rather mysterious at this moment.
Best regards, John
Tyr
Posted 13/03/2011 - 16:48 Link
Some triggers have a delay in the circuitry and transmission. This means they by the time they trigger the flashes the 2nd curtain is already closing. It is common with cheap triggers.
johnriley
Posted 13/03/2011 - 17:01 Link
Not good then. I'd stick to IR triggers wherever possible.
Best regards, John
amoringello
Posted 13/03/2011 - 17:34 Link
Tyr wrote:
Some triggers have a delay in the circuitry and transmission. This means they by the time they trigger the flashes the 2nd curtain is already closing. It is common with cheap triggers.

Even use of "good" trigers (e.g. Elinchrom Skyport) can result in black banding at X-Sync speed.
There is to some extent a requirement that both the camera and trigger are well within specifications...

My K7 would not sync without black bars until I went down to 1/160 or even 1/125 with the Skyport remotes.
Yet my K5 syncs just fine at 1/180 with the same equipment.

The K7 of course works just fine with wired and PTTL and even when a dumb flash is in the hot shoe and remote flashes are slaved, so it is definitely some interaction of the radio remote and the camera reaction timing.

If you're getting black bars form the shutter timing being off a bit, see if you can rent or borrow a set of PocketWizards. Pocket Wizards are not perfect, but they really are the defacto-standard for the lowest rate of failure amongst any other brand.
If they resolve the issue, your remotes are probably just not fast enough or out of spec (or on the edge).
If the issue is not resolved, then your camera may have an issue.

My K7 was repaired, motherboard replaced, and the problem persisted. I know other people have no problems with their K7... so again, maybe a combo of devices being in spec but at the fringes and just compounding to an unsatisfactory situation???

Dunno... never will. Both Pentax nor Elinchrom point fingers in the other direction and neither are willing to investigate the issue.
Algernon
Posted 13/03/2011 - 17:38 Link
Cisco wrote:
are the 'RF-602' a bit crap then ?? my RF triggers work fine at 1/180 !!

What make are they?

RF-602'S are excellent and of good build quality. If you need faster than 1/90th you shouldn't need flash I like them for the size especially the one on the camera (receiver)which is quite small.

Used the other way round they are the best remote release available. A RED LED comes on when half-pressed and a GREEN LED for the full press. I use two sets at the same time on different channels to fire the shutter and flash.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnriley
Posted 13/03/2011 - 17:47 Link
Quote:
If you need faster than 1/90th you shouldn't need flash

A faster synch speed makes for faster camera operation and also reduces the influence of any ambient light on the exposure. That's why photographers like faster synch speeds.
Best regards, John
Tyr
Posted 13/03/2011 - 18:06 Link
Sync problems is why I chose the Cactus V5 2.4GHz microwave radio triggers. They will apparently sync to 1/1000 with electronic shutter cameras.

I tried to push sync my K10D beyond 1/180 with the triggers but the K10D cannot seem to send a trigger signal to the hotshoe above 1/180 without recieving an HSS signal from the flash.

I do know of people with Nikon cameras who can force sync above their stated sync speed to 1/320 or 1/500 with a small amount of banding.
Algernon
Posted 13/03/2011 - 18:11 Link
I prefer to blend in with the ambient light. Even at 1/90th and f/8 100ISO I get a black cat in a coalhole if the flash isn't switched on Nearly said doesn't fire, but it always fires as long as it's switched on.

For anyone using High Voltage Bowens Monolites these HV slave cells are very good and sensitive for £20. Just bounce a small flash off the ceiling either direct or via a wireless system. They are a jackplug fitting so easily adapted to other guns.

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 13/03/2011 - 18:11
Cisco
Posted 13/03/2011 - 18:18 Link
Just the cheap Hong Kong one's (no name on them).

Taken hundreds of pics with them without a problem, but as I haven't used them for a while I just checked them out.

1/125, 1/160, 1/180 NO problem !! If u select X it auto selects 1/180 anyway !?

Any RF signal that can't travel a short distance in less than 1/90 sec is pretty damn poor, to be honest !! even allowing for internal propagation delay in the transmitter and receiver !
K-7 | K10 | DA 18-135 | DA 18-250 | DA 55-300 | DFA 100 |
Algernon
Posted 13/03/2011 - 18:53 Link
This Aputure one looks interesting for £33.

Looks like the RF-603 is out £28 and listed for Pentax up to 1/320 (some may be less) ?

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 13/03/2011 - 19:02
Cisco
Posted 13/03/2011 - 19:32 Link
Mine are very similar to these : link

Good at that price ! and 2 receivers !!
Tyr
Posted 13/03/2011 - 20:05 Link
amoringello wrote:
Tyr wrote:

Even use of "good" trigers (e.g. Elinchrom Skyport) can result in black banding at X-Sync speed.
There is to some extent a requirement that both the camera and trigger are well within specifications...

My K7 would not sync without black bars until I went down to 1/160 or even 1/125 with the Skyport remotes.
Yet my K5 syncs just fine at 1/180 with the same equipment.

The K7 of course works just fine with wired and PTTL and even when a dumb flash is in the hot shoe and remote flashes are slaved, so it is definitely some interaction of the radio remote and the camera reaction timing.

If you're getting black bars form the shutter timing being off a bit, see if you can rent or borrow a set of PocketWizards. Pocket Wizards are not perfect, but they really are the defacto-standard for the lowest rate of failure amongst any other brand.
If they resolve the issue, your remotes are probably just not fast enough or out of spec (or on the edge).
If the issue is not resolved, then your camera may have an issue.

My K7 was repaired, motherboard replaced, and the problem persisted. I know other people have no problems with their K7... so again, maybe a combo of devices being in spec but at the fringes and just compounding to an unsatisfactory situation???

Dunno... never will. Both Pentax nor Elinchrom point fingers in the other direction and neither are willing to investigate the issue.

I don't really see the point in even looking at the PW as they are stupidly expensive for a set of RF transmitters at 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz transceivers are so cheap, mass produced and reliable that almost and device operating on those frequencies will be reliable. That is why I chose the Cactus V5s.
Algernon
Posted 13/03/2011 - 20:12 Link
They look good value.

Unfortunately the RF-603's aren't compatible with the RF-602'
Very dirty trick by Yongnuo Discussion here.

Algi
testbloke
Posted 13/03/2011 - 20:41 Link
Algernon wrote:
This Aputure one looks interesting for £33.

Looks like the RF-603 is out £28 and listed for Pentax up to 1/320 (some may be less) ?

These are the said items I await !
Cisco
Posted 13/03/2011 - 22:07 Link
Algernon wrote:

Pentax up to 1/320 (some may be less) ?

That would be nice though I think most are less

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.