Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wireless trigger for studio lights

Cisco
Posted 14/03/2011 - 15:48 Link
gartmore wrote:
Cisco wrote:
Quote:
Maybe missing a Pentax flashgun?

Just tried in Manual mode (and Av, Tv) with RF trigger and still nothing above 1/180 !?

No X sync from camera it seems :

So what makes u think it will work ? Pentax flash or not ??

You need a Pentax flash with HSS, the limitation here is the speed the shutter curtains travel at. At the risk of teaching grannies to suck eggs I assume you know how a focal plane shutter works.

I think you missed my previous answer to your post !?

>> Got several !! Don't help !? Only go above 1/180 in HS !?

and that still doesn't answer the question that John posed :
>> If you want to set an inappropriately high synch speed then you can do so using manual mode.

How ?? HSS works on more than just Manual !? So what other trick is there ?

K-7 | K10 | DA 18-135 | DA 18-250 | DA 55-300 | DFA 100 |
Edited by Cisco: 14/03/2011 - 15:51
Cisco
Posted 14/03/2011 - 15:53 Link
Don wrote:
link

I used to be an avid reader of that blog Don

But how does that help here ?
Tyr
Posted 14/03/2011 - 16:52 Link
I think he posted it for John's benefit as I'm not sure he got what we were talking about.
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 17:03 Link
Cisco wrote:
Don wrote:
link

I used to be an avid reader of that blog Don

But how does that help here ?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I taped over the back two contacts tonight to see if I could overclock the sync a little. And I had a pleasant surprise…

First off, the camera cannot know there is a flash on it -- i.e., no crosstalk via the internal data channels -- or it will bump you into energy-robbing FP sync mode after an admittedly impressive 1/320th full-sync option.

But if you cut off the data flow by taping the back two contacts, or using a neutered SC-17, the camera will give a pretty clean sync at 1/400th up to about 1/4 power. And if you do not mind losing 1/6th of the frame at the bottom, you can go to 1/500th.

if it can be done on Nikon, why not try it on Pentax?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Tyr
Posted 14/03/2011 - 17:13 Link
Don, I already tried that with various pin combinations. I cannot seem to get my K10Ds to do that. It seems that there is no flash trigger signal sent when over 1/180.
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 17:25 Link
Tyr wrote:
Don, I already tried that with various pin combinations. I cannot seem to get my K10Ds to do that. It seems that there is no flash trigger signal sent when over 1/180.

why is it soo important?
you got hs mode if you're up close... reflectors and constant light sources as well. ND filters are useful...for aperture control.

what would having a higher sync do anyways?
maybe if you have a specific need there is another solution?
Cisco
Posted 14/03/2011 - 17:38 Link
Sorry Don didn't realise where you were heading with that

My point was that John said it could be done ! but he seems to have disappeared now without explaining how !! Whether I personally would want to or not, is another matter

With a RF trigger fitted (see title) there's only ONE contact in use, so if that doesn't fool the camera in to giving faster than 1/180, then I doubt anything will

If it could be done without HSS it would be handy for daylight fill, without special flash unit.
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 17:59 Link
used to be able to do that with my canon g5, but still with the d-slrs I fail to see any need...
what I know from doing this with my g5 is this.. it only is useable over a small range of lighting situations...
anywhere you can actually use it, truthfully, you can get equally good results by shooting with no flash and pulling up your shadows in photoshop with the highlight shadow tool.

if you need hs use hs AND use it with a powerful strobe (540 fgz or better) otherwise, you're better off pulling out a reflector, or constant light source.

in fact the only time I really used fast shutters with flash on my g5 was when shooting into backlighting, on flowers in the wind and at that I had to hold the camera upside down so the dark half of the frame darkened the sky. I could have gotten the same effect using a 4 stop nd filter at proper x sync and letting the flash "Freeze" the motion, if I wanted to use wide aperture for shallow dof...
a more useful feature would be a leaf shutter lens and/or global shutter...perhaps when Pentax jumps on the evil bandwagon we'll see something like that... but one or two stops increase in shutter sync on a current body just isn't that big of an improvement over the existing HS mode to get upset over.
Edited by Don: 14/03/2011 - 18:13
johnriley
Posted 14/03/2011 - 18:21 Link
I think what you want to happen will work if you use a flashgun without dedicated contacts. It works with an IR trigger so I don't see why it wouldn't with a gun that has an old-fashioned plain connection.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 18:27 Link
johnriley wrote:
I think what you want to happen will work if you use a flashgun without dedicated contacts. It works with an IR trigger so I don't see why it wouldn't with a gun that has an old-fashioned plain connection.

not on my k10 or ds2, the flash won't fire past 1/180, using a viv 283...
johnriley
Posted 14/03/2011 - 18:41 Link
Actually you're quite right, the shutter will release but the flash won't fire. Obviously a safety feature to prevent using the wrong speed.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 18:44 Link
johnriley wrote:
Actually you're quite right, the shutter will release but the flash won't fire. Obviously a safety feature to prevent using the wrong speed.

maybe there is a connection between this and the fact that Pentax cameras can handle voltages that fry other brands of dslrs??? who knows?
Tyr
Posted 14/03/2011 - 19:13 Link
An ND filter doesn't cut out just ambient though. It will cut all light. The thing with higher sync speeds is cutting out ambient light.

Yes you could use an ND and then set the flashes to much higher levels but sometimes you are already working at full power.
amoringello
Posted 14/03/2011 - 21:12 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Amoringello, have you any proof that Pentax have deliberately made the shutter sync at a lower speed than necessary?

If not, stop talking about "crippled".
G

Proof:
1. set shutter speed to 1/180, use a standard flash via hot shoe or or sync port.
2. set shutter speed above 1/180, try the same.

The sync pin has been deliberately disabled above 1/180.
Other brand cameras do not disable this, and photographers use this side-effect to a specific end.

Perhaps to you that is not crippled. To me it is.
Call it what you will... One man's garbage is another mans treasure.
In my opinion, this design implementation is crippled garbage and I will call it nothing else.

Sorry to have offended you by describing Pentax's decision to design their flag-ship products to the lowest common denominator of users.
Don
Posted 14/03/2011 - 21:22 Link
amoringello wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Amoringello, have you any proof that Pentax have deliberately made the shutter sync at a lower speed than necessary?

If not, stop talking about "crippled".
G

Proof:
1. set shutter speed to 1/180, use a standard flash via hot shoe or or sync port.
2. set shutter speed above 1/180, try the same.

The sync pin has been deliberately disabled above 1/180.
Other brand cameras do not disable this, and photographers use this side-effect to a specific end.

Perhaps to you that is not crippled. To me it is.
Call it what you will... One man's garbage is another mans treasure.
In my opinion, this design implementation is crippled garbage and I will call it nothing else.

Sorry to have offended you by describing Pentax's decision to design their flag-ship products to the lowest common denominator of users.

and yet many others would regard this as a feature, as it effectively eliminates the possibility accidentally shooting black stripes by setting too fast a shutter speed.....

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.