What's your latest acquisition?

jeallen01

Link Posted 28/04/2020 - 21:18
Latest acquisition was again not "photographic" but a new LG TV from Richer Sounds - very good EXCEPT that, whilst the wireless networking is working fine, the cabled ethernet just doesn't work (many cable/switch changes and then confirmation from both LG Tech Support and RS themselves!) - so now waiting for a replacement from RS, but they have no idea when that could be!

WHY, OH WHY, is it that almost EVERYTHING I buy online seems to be faulty in some respect (the previous Toshiba TV was an immediate replacement for a similar one that was worse on delivery than the previous Tosh!)???? Am I just "unlucky", or does "someone, somewhere" have it in for me???
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 28/04/2020 - 21:36

RobL

Link Posted 10/05/2020 - 22:37
A pack of A3 Hahnemuhle Bamboo print paper 290g. Pretty pricey but I had a couple of sheets in a sample pack and printed a flower pic which came out beautifully.

RobL

Link Posted 11/05/2020 - 17:22
I have been waiting for weeks for someone here to put me out of my misery but today I finally succumbed. Numerous times I have hovered over the buy button, only for my sensible head to tell me I don't need it, it will likely only get used a few times before staying in the cupboard, and all the times I hoped someone would buy it first to resolve my quandary. But no, it stubbornly remained unwanted on the shelf at Ffordes Photographic until today - they must be relieved to finally be rid of it! So now I am looking forward to receiving a Pentax 85mm F2.8 SMC FA Soft Focus lens in what appears a nice clean condition.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 11/05/2020 - 19:31
A new phone and 2 bottles of hot sauce;
Passionfruit, tequila and habanero
Orange, ginger and chaotian

RobL

Link Posted 12/05/2020 - 20:47
Well what a disappointment, after receiving an email confirmation from Ffordes for my Pentax 85mm F2.8 SMC FA Soft Focus lens order they have just informed me that they haven't actually had it in stock since last year despite it still being on their website.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 13/05/2020 - 01:41
I finally succumbed to an Exakta RTL1000 - and before you jump on me for it not being Pentax, this was the camera that got me into Pentax with an ME after some scrote broke into the house and stole it over 30 years ago. I wanted a replacement that equaled its quality and a Pentax ME fit the bill. This 'new' one has been in a collector's box for about 20 years and it's slightly stiff and in need of a service. Who would you suggest is likely to have a look at it?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Aitch53

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 12:52
Having succumbed to Fuji a couple of months ago (that special offer on X-T100s, just before the X-T200 came out ), I've just bought an XC 50-230mm lens to go with it. As the standard zoom and this just about cover all my needs, I don't need to bother with the really expensive lenses. Though they have just brought out an affordable XC 35mm...

Now we just need a bit less lock-down and I can do some serious testing of it, though testing in the garden suggests it's pretty good...
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/05/2020 - 21:46
The new LG TV seems to be quite good now that I have figured out how to get to connect to the wired ethernet, and just watched Episode 1 of "Our Planet" in UHD on Netflix - but not sure if I'll continue to pay the additional 3 quid a month for the UHD subscription after the 30 day trial ends (had a look at Amazon Prime UHD as well, but that's going to cost a lot extra for any of the decent movies in UHD )
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Benz3ne

Link Posted 18/05/2020 - 08:27
An Industar 50-2 for 12. It needs a very light re-greasing but otherwise it's great. Optics are good and the requirement for grease is only obvious when turning the focus ring quickly. Otherwise it's stellar. Sharp wide-open, with some noticeable vignetting, but sharper stopped down slightly. Have had fun milling around the house taking photos of this 'n' that.

prsjnb

Link Posted 18/05/2020 - 14:10
67mm Marumi DHG Achromat Macro 330 (+3) - to improve the close-focus capability of the Pentax DA* 50-135.

The Raynox DCR Macro Adapters, whilst of excellent quality, are too small to be of practical use with the 50-135 (requires a 43 - 67mm stepping ring). A quick search turned-up some promising reviews (link; link) and examples of the Marumi used in combination with the 50-135, but the clincher for me was the availability of the 67mm 330 (+3) for 60.00 inc p&p from Microglobe, which was a good price when compared with all the other UK-based stockists I considered.

The following early examples give an idea of what can be achieved. With the exception of the last two images, which were developed in LR 6.0 from the original Raw files and were shot with flash, all are direct from camera (handheld K5) jpeg files that at most have had the levels tweaked, limited noise-reduction applied and then been cropped and resized for upload. Importantly, none of the latter had additional sharpening applied.

Manual focus was used for most of the above although AF is possible once the subject is within range.

Whilst not as sharp or as versatile as a dedicated macro lens, my experience thus far has led me to conclude that the outlay for the Marumi was worthwhile and that it more than adequately overcomes the oft criticised close-focus limitations of the DA* 50-135.

Jon
Last Edited by prsjnb on 18/05/2020 - 14:11

RobL

Link Posted 18/05/2020 - 14:24
I too have a Marumi Achromatic and as you say the results are excellent, I keep mine in the camera bag to save having to add a macro lens when on a walk.

RayB

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 11:37
A Pentax KP and Grip.

bforbes

Link Posted 22/05/2020 - 18:51
My first Auto-Takumar, an M42 mount 85mm f1.8 and it has me confused. It has a spring back switch which I'd assumed you pushed to obtain open iris focusing then release for the set aperture. But the lens seems to operate with an open iris, switch pushed or not, and still the image comes out reasonably well metered.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Benz3ne

Link Posted 23/05/2020 - 05:02
bforbes wrote:
My first Auto-Takumar, an M42 mount 85mm f1.8 and it has me confused. It has a spring back switch which I'd assumed you pushed to obtain open iris focusing then release for the set aperture. But the lens seems to operate with an open iris, switch pushed or not, and still the image comes out reasonably well metered.

I believe the auto function works for cameras that can depress the rear pin. Try pressing that and see if the iris snaps close.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 23/05/2020 - 12:02
bforbes wrote:

You'll enjoy this lens - still produces great quality images after 50+ years.....

...even at maximum aperture....

LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.