What's your latest acquisition?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/04/2020 - 12:43
I just received a small film order to keep my cameras fed over the quarantine and beyond.

The Kodak 3200 will go into my K2DMD or (more likely) Z1 for indoor photos over the quarantine period. It's from the very conservatively dated early batch of when production resumed and expired in January.

The RPX 400 is for my Yashica Mat 124G and will need to be pushed to at least 1600 for indoor use as above. Hopefully the camera will work properly as it gave me problems the last time I used it, but that was outdoors in the snow so hardly ideal circumstances for it.

The RPX 25 will be for outdoor use (obviously) in the summer (hopefully). I ordered in-date but got a call that they'd sold out and to ask if I would accept double the quantity of out-of-date stock, which I accepted. It's about 18 months expired.

Quarantine supplies
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

SteveF

Link Posted 02/04/2020 - 22:22
[quote:3496ace15f="Jonathan-Mac"]I just received a small film order to keep my cameras fed over the quarantine and beyond.

The Kodak 3200 will go into my K2DMD or (more likely) Z1 for indoor photos over the quarantine period. It's from the very conservatively dated early batch of when production resumed and expired in January.

The RPX 400 is for my Yashica Mat 124G and will need to be pushed to at least 1600 for indoor use as above. Hopefully the camera will work properly as it gave me problems the last time I used it, but that was outdoors in the snow so hardly ideal circumstances for it.

The RPX 25 will be for outdoor use (obviously) in the summer (hopefully). I ordered in-date but got a call that they'd sold out and to ask if I would accept double the quantity of out-of-date stock, which I accepted. It's about 18 months expired.

Hi Jonathan

Can I ask which supplier you used please? I have sufficient 120 roll film for my 645N, but I want to get some 35mm in. Thanks in advance.
Last Edited by SteveF on 02/04/2020 - 22:23

RobL

Link Posted 02/04/2020 - 23:12
SteveF you might try The Imaging Warehouse based just outside Stratford upon Avon. They stock film as well as an impressive selection of film processing stuff, and are still operating online.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 07:47
SteveF wrote:

Hi Jonathan

Can I ask which supplier you used please? I have sufficient 120 roll film for my 645N, but I want to get some 35mm in. Thanks in advance.

I live in Spain so used an online supplier called R3. I think they deliver internationally but that's probably not your best option for either speed or price. I know that Analogue Wonderland are still sending film out. Amazon UK have film but, like Amazon Spain, are generally quite expensive.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

johnha

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 11:42
Speedgraphic have closed their shop but at present are apparently still operating for on-line orders (how long the postage/courier services continue may be another question). Not sure how they compete on price but I've always had good service from them.

I've decided not to send any film for processing at the moment, I might order some chemicals and re-start home processing for mono. Fortunately a couple of purchases from Japan made have arrived safe: M150/3.5 & 6x7 150/2.8 (both near mint and surprising hard to find in the UK), thanks to Royal Mail & Parcel Force.
PPG Flickr

SteveF

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 22:01
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="SteveF"]
Hi Jonathan

I live in Spain so used an online supplier called R3. I think they deliver internationally but that's probably not your best option for either speed or price. I know that Analogue Wonderland are still sending film out. Amazon UK have film but, like Amazon Spain, are generally quite expensive.

Thanks. I'm aware of Analogue Wonderland and would prefer not to use Amazon. Just looking to expand my options. Will check out R3 - you never know.

SteveF

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 22:03
RobL wrote:
SteveF you might try The Imaging Warehouse based just outside Stratford upon Avon. They stock film as well as an impressive selection of film processing stuff, and are still operating online.

Yes, I'm already a customer there, for paper in particular. I live about 8 miles from them and used to visit to buy stuff, attended their open days, etc.

RobL

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 22:07
A Novoflex Castel-Q focusing rack from Speedgraphic which arrived yesterday so they are definitely still working online. Having spent ages researching I came across a review which put this at the top; not cheap but a beautiful example of German engineering and it worked at a downward angle without creep. my first trial was a magnolia shot (see the Share your lockdown photography projects thread) which required almost the whole length of the rack using the f2.8 50mm macro lens.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/04/2020 - 22:55
RobL wrote:
not cheap but a beautiful example of German engineering

+1. Superb quality. You'll enjoy using it!

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 04/04/2020 - 00:34
I was wondering how you got that so beautifully sharp end to end. Super image.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

RobL

Link Posted 04/04/2020 - 07:55
davidwozhere wrote:
I was wondering how you got that so beautifully sharp end to end. Super image.

Thanks David, I used Photoshop to stack the images although normally I prefer HeliconFocus. Over a long stack PS was able to auto align the images but I have yet to find how that can be done in HF.

Algernon

Link Posted 05/04/2020 - 11:53
RobL wrote:
A Novoflex Castel-Q focusing rack from Speedgraphic

Probably the best thing I ever bought. The ruler marked in mm's is very handy You can focus by noting where the camera beeps as you rack in (or rack out). It beeps at a different point moving in or out. Usually about 25-50mm difference. If AF is no better then we might as well give up CIF is also going to give different results moving in or moving out

Mine's the double rack version.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 05/04/2020 - 12:01

T140

Link Posted 06/04/2020 - 21:56
another bag to add to the other 6-7 bags and cases already kicking about, this one is a think tank retrospective 7 ,I got it on Saturday and have playing about with the partitions to fit different combinations, at the moment I can fit a K3ii without the grip and 18-50 2.8 fitted, a 70-200 2.8, a wide angle zoom and a 30 1.4 along with some filters spare batteries a strap and the usual bits and bobs
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

Benz3ne

Link Posted 07/04/2020 - 05:54
A Helios 44-2 that arrived yesterday. Took a punt on an untested one from eBay after asking a couple of questions and itís absolutely serviceable. Couple of cleaning marks front outer, couple of oil species edge of front inner but sharp throughout.
£12+P&P.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 07/04/2020 - 08:41
At the end of last week I finally received an old lens I'd ordered almost three weeks earlier, at the start of the lockdown here - an Auto Chinon Multi-Coated 55mm f/1.7 in M42 mount.

Here she is with a test shot wide open to check performance.

Auto Chinon 55mm f/1.7

Wide open test III
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.