What microphone for video?

Anvh

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:01
Have played with the K-X and the video mode and I must say that I quite like it, it just something nice to do besides making photos. It completes the package of the experience so to say.
The video quality is very decent but the sound quality is really not good because it was outdoors and there was some wind.

I'm looking to buy the k5 when it's out and I'll use the video on it so I want a better microphone for it, the only problem is I've no knowledge what so ever about microphones.

I found this site with some comparison and some useful information.
http://www.digitalphotographywriter.com/2010/07/dslr-camera-microphone-for-video...

Is everything true what they say there and do you maybe have extra information or experiences with a microphone and what do you advice?

This one Azden SGM-2X was advised by the website I linked to and it seems good to me but I ain't no expert
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:23
Rode video mic is best bang for the buck...
they got two models under $200.00 us..

zoom h2 are nice if you want seperate audio ...
use audacity to import audio and nle to synch it to the video ( good tip for kx owners)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 30/09/2010 - 18:24

Anvh

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:35
Thank you Don.

Would like to have the audio directly inject with the video so no zoom h2.

I've heard good things about the Rode, the Azden is in the same price range so it would be interesting to see how they compare.
Have you tried/used the Azden maybe or have other experience with them?

I've read about Rode things but this the first time I heard about Azden
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:40
can only vouch for the Rode... that is what I use.
I'm sure azden has some good gear..... but I haven't used any of it.

Shure makes good mics as well as Sennheiser
Last Edited by Don on 30/09/2010 - 18:42

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:41
Interesting topic Stefan.

When and if I decide I need a mic for the K5 I'll probably get my son to help - he is a sound engineer and understands all the geek speak which I don't.

Anvh

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:51
Shure and Sennheiser are names I know from the output side of audio so I wasn't sure how well they are when it concern microphones.
Will take a look at them as well.

Precisely the same problem here Gwyn, would be interesting what he will advice.
From what I've experience from the K-X you really need a good mic to put the video to his right. The noise the wind makes is just awful

Don, I've an question about the Rode mic, from what i know it's a shotgun meaning it only gathers sounds from the front of the mic right?
Can you change that behaviour so it also gather sound from around you a bit?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:52
Gwyn wrote:
Interesting topic Stefan.

When and if I decide I need a mic for the K5 I'll probably get my son to help - he is a sound engineer and understands all the geek speak which I don't.

shotguns and lavs are the two most commonly used with d-slrs... depends on what you want to do which is best.
For a wedding, I usually set one cam (or laptop) to record off my soundboard which gets a feed off the churches soundboard... then one shotgun on a video cam closer to the couple, and the last a wireles lav mic on the groom running to another video cam.

a lav on the groom picks up his and the officiant and brides words and little else, but wireless can pick up interference...

shotgun focuses on sound from the front but still picks up a little from the sides and is a good all rounder except in windy conditions where a deadcat helps (fuzzy muffler things not a real dead cat)...

I pull all three audio sources into final cut and try to work with one or two sources which ever is best, sometimes bringing up the volume of the lave mic for the vows then using the sound from the main sound
board for most of the service..

The main sound board is nice if they got good mics and it gets the best music and ambient sound from the house system...

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:54
stick one of those little cloth band aids with a bit of cotton ball as well over the mic port on your kx in the wind. You'd be surprised how much difference a band aid solution makes!
Last Edited by Don on 30/09/2010 - 18:58

Anvh

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 18:58
Good tip Don, will try it some time

Your sound set-up is way to sophisticated for what I want but I really like the control you've over everything.

I've take a look at Sennheiser, the K6 looks very interesting with his modular system.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 30/09/2010 - 19:01

gartmore

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:42
As always Don gives some of the best pro advice on this forum, I'd add a couple of thoughts: microphones are the lenses of audio; what do you want to achieve?

If you are in a situation where you need long cable runs then you really have to think about using XLR cables unless you want BBC Radio 2 (or whatever the Netherlands equivalent is) bleeding through to your soundtrack. There are XLR to wee DSLR mic socket adaptors available.

Gun mics, or shotguns as Don calls them, really need concentration though cans, or headphones as Don might call them, and now we are into having someone else with a mixer control your audio like in a real film.

Don mentions a 'lav' which in British English means a toilet but I think he is referring to Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc de La Vallière, Duchess of La Vallière and Vaujours and mistress to Louis XIV who had a penchant for hanging large jewels on a chain around her neck - so wee personal pinned on mic.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 21:22
gartmore wrote:
As always Don gives some of the best pro advice on this forum, I'd add a couple of thoughts: microphones are the lenses of audio; what do you want to achieve?

If you are in a situation where you need long cable runs then you really have to think about using XLR cables unless you want BBC Radio 2 (or whatever the Netherlands equivalent is) bleeding through to your soundtrack. There are XLR to wee DSLR mic socket adaptors available.

Gun mics, or shotguns as Don calls them, really need concentration though cans, or headphones as Don might call them, and now we are into having someone else with a mixer control your audio like in a real film.

Don mentions a 'lav' which in British English means a toilet but I think he is referring to Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc de La Vallière, Duchess of La Vallière and Vaujours and mistress to Louis XIV who had a penchant for hanging large jewels on a chain around her neck - so wee personal pinned on mic.

lavaliere (aka lapel) mics, not toilet mics... good to know!

there are Beachtek mic adapters for video cams that take xlr mics and output to line level suitable for camras with phono jack mic inputs.... I opted out of these. instead bought a peavy pv6 usb mixing board that allows me to tap into any other board and or mix multiple sources... good noise canceling headphones are a must when mixing audio in the field!

I can record to my laptop or iphone while also sending to camera.... in the field that way...

Don

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 21:33
Anvh wrote:
Good tip Don, will try it some time

Your sound set-up is way to sophisticated for what I want but I really like the control you've over everything.

I've take a look at Sennheiser, the K6 looks very interesting with his modular system.

you should see my dj rig...
I took an old Bose mixing board and 802 speaker set up and upgraded it with wi-fi and dual ipads with dj apps and laptop running quartz composer sound activated visuals (like the itunes visualizers) through a video projector.... it is a DYI vj in a box set up that lets people stream via wi-fi thier own music from thier computer, or plug in thier own ipods, through our dj system ...

I may seem cool on the outside, but I'm 100% geek on the inside!

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/09/2010 - 23:10
Anvh wrote:
Shure and Sennheiser are names I know from the output side of audio so I wasn't sure how well they are when it concern microphones.
Will take a look at them as well.

Precisely the same problem here Gwyn, would be interesting what he will advice.
From what I've experience from the K-X you really need a good mic to put the video to his right. The noise the wind makes is just awful

Don, I've an question about the Rode mic, from what i know it's a shotgun meaning it only gathers sounds from the front of the mic right?
Can you change that behaviour so it also gather sound from around you a bit?

Shotguns have a very narrow polar pattern and are designed to reject ambient sound as much as possible. It's usually practise to also record with an Omnidirectional mic on a separate track so you have control over the amount of ambient sound in the final mix.

Regarding mics I'm an AKG fan. I have an AKG414 and a couple of AKG45s as well as some AKG Dynamic mics.

If and when I get into video I have plenty of mics, I just need a portable mixer with phantom power and seperate outs for each channel to feed a multichannel soundcard on a laptop running Cubase.

it all gets pretty cumbersome and expensive.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Anvh

Link Posted 01/10/2010 - 17:15
Thank you Ken for the explainable and you to Don, the DJ setup sounds super

Working with two mics might be the best solution but that's just a little bit to serious for me at the moment, I just want decent sound when shooting video.
And the mic will just be mounted on the hotshoe
Maybe later I might want to expand that but that's a concern later, this will be my first steps in to video so don't want to over do it.
Knowing me though I will probably have a 2 mic setup by the end of the year anyway

@Smeggy, thank you for your response.
Indeed it can be very expensive.

Found these images to illustrate the differnces.
Cardioid

Super cardioid

Lobar/Gun

Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Anvh

Link Posted 24/05/2011 - 20:42
After a long time I finally have a k5 and i'm looking to buy a mic now this week.

I've found the Senheiser K6 with the M66 (Supercardioid) which i think should be a good beginning or not?
The price isn't that bad in Germany. link

I'm thinking of getting the MZS 6 shockmount with it but it uses threads (3/8", 5/8", and 1/2") so i'm looking for a solution to mount that on the camera, any ideas or don't you think i would need a shockmount?

I'm also playing with the idea to record the sound on a different device instead of the camera but i've no idea how that works and how well it works.
I'm just begin with video so don't want to complicate things with sound too much.

Maybe it's an idea to use a good simple sound recorder to collect the surrounding sound and use the DSLR with a shirt/long gun to collect the sounds in the frame?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 24/05/2011 - 20:43
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.