Well what D'you know???

jules

Link Posted 14/04/2017 - 16:35
SDM Failure first time out, way to go Pentax!
Brand new 16-50mm F2.8 SDM. Bin toying with it at home for a week or two and it seemed fine but took the KP out in preference to the Fuji today, out to the Cumbrian coast, it will not find infinity focus, if I ratchet the focus ring around to infinity it finds focus but then it just will not rack back to anything nearer, not a happy bunny at all, thousand quid lens and all that, and yes I know the hitory of these things but still, I'm out my No1 go to lens for the KP after just one go, great!
SRS has incurred my displeasure but not as much as Pentax has!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

HarisF1

Link Posted 14/04/2017 - 17:01
Sorry to hear about it, must really suck to see a failure so quickly after buying.

It may be worth completing a couple of checks to be completely sure though. Can you try the lens on another body, and also clean the contacts on the lens as sometimes any thin film of material can obstruct them. These will most probably not improve matters but the 1% chance is worth taking.

Hope this helps.

jules

Link Posted 14/04/2017 - 21:14
Yeah did all oif that, no dice!
My 50-135mm works perfectly, so it's not the body, I was seriously considering investing in another KP and some more lenses but I'm hanging fire for now, Pentax's loss and Fuji's gain...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

MrB

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 01:25
Sorry the Pentax lens has failed, Jules, but why has SRS incurred your displeasure?

jules

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 04:37
Because I get unreasonably angry! Part of my condition really and I can't do much about that I'm afraid.
They've offered to pick the lens up next thursday, which is the only day I'm in next week but since it was it's first use in he wild so to speak and it was brand new, I expect a new lens, this hasn't been offered ... so far but we'll see what happens when they get the lens in, if they have "old" SDM's about they should really check em, I'd personally appreciate that more than an unopened one that fails, Bottom line is that it's a thousand quid lens that failed on it's first outing, simply not good enogh and since it's the go to lens for my little system it means I have lost use of that system for the duration of the lens being away, Minus points allround but especially to Pentax, Richtax (New name for Ricoh Pentax since the price rises ) (Are you listening...No I guess not!) Anyway I feel 'm ranting so I'll leave this little missive as is...
My heart said go F2.8 throughout my head said get the good old 12-24 and the 16-85/20-40 to go with my 50-135mm, should've listened to me heed...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 15/04/2017 - 04:50

derrenhodson

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 07:37
Bought my 16-50 from SRS about 3 months ago, no problems so far, did have that problem with a 70mm Ltd Lens I bought off ebay. The 16-50 & 50-135 ara a perfect combo and one of the reasons I moved to Pentax. I thought all lenses after 2012 were not part of the SDM failure problem which Pentax had solved, does it have a date of manufacture on it? (My box is in the loft)
Pentax KP & Ricoh GR11| 15mm, 35mm Macro, 20-40mm & 70mm Limited |DA* 16-50 & 50-135mm|55-300mm WR RE|AF-540 FGZ|D-BG7 Grip

www.derrenhodsonphotography.co.uk

johnriley

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 09:18
Annoying though it might be, all manufactured items from all manufacturers will have a failure rate.

I don't know what logic manufacturers follow these days, but I should imagine there is at least batch testing. But however many of the lenses made are tested and how thoroughly, the next time any of them are used there is still the potential that they will fail. Fortunately failure rates will be very low. They have to be otherwise the companies would go bust.

Incidentally, 70mm Limited lenses can't suffer from SDM failure as they use screw drive AF.
Best regards, John

jules

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 15:59
derrenhodson wrote:
Bought my 16-50 from SRS about 3 months ago, no problems so far, did have that problem with a 70mm Ltd Lens I bought off ebay. The 16-50 & 50-135 ara a perfect combo and one of the reasons I moved to Pentax. I thought all lenses after 2012 were not part of the SDM failure problem which Pentax had solved, does it have a date of manufacture on it? (My box is in the loft)

Post 2012 one, I made sure but I'm unsure if thete is any physical difference between pre and post, models or maybe they just tightned up QC?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 15/04/2017 - 16:02
johnriley wrote:
Annoying though it might be, all manufactured items from all manufacturers will have a failure rate.

I don't know what logic manufacturers follow these days, but I should imagine there is at least batch testing. But however many of the lenses made are tested and how thoroughly, the next time any of them are used there is still the potential that they will fail. Fortunately failure rates will be very low. They have to be otherwise the companies would go bust.

Incidentally, 70mm Limited lenses can't suffer from SDM failure as they use screw drive AF.

Percentage of failures means nothing when you've owned two of em and both have failed.

I was wary but falling at the first fence is just shoddy!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 08:42
I don't understand in this day and age why (A) Pentax haven't released new (and properly fixed) versions of all the original SDM lenses and (B) why people keep buying them, especially the 16-50 which from what I read is the real lemon of the SDMs.

Get a Tamron or Sigma instead. They won't be weather sealed but they will work.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

royd63uk

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 09:10
Or change it to screw drive
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

jules

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 09:29
It's off back to SRS on thursday, so we'll see what they say then but I must say I at least expect a new lens (that works!), or the choice of a different lens, to a similar value. Really wishing I'd opted for the 16-85, and I could just get a couple of primes for the low light stuff in the 16-50mm range later on, not the triumphant return to the Pentax fold that I anticipated. Back out today... with the Fuji...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 16/04/2017 - 09:31

royd63uk

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 09:47
It is a shame when you get a bad lens, lets see what the after service is like (SRS have a good reputation)
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

jules

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 10:46
I'll buy from them in preference to anyone else, likewise I'll not buy a Tamron or Sigma lens because they don't really support Pentax, so I don't really see why I should support them by giving them my money.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

MrB

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 13:11
jules wrote:

I'll not buy a Tamron or Sigma lens because they don't really support Pentax, so I don't really see why I should support them by giving them my money.

A chicken and egg problem?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.