Well what D'you know???

fatspider

Link Posted 16/04/2017 - 13:15
If it's any consolation Jules I sent mine back to SRS and had it back within the week, it must have spent more time in transit than on the workbench.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

jules

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 06:34
MrB wrote:
jules wrote:

I'll not buy a Tamron or Sigma lens because they don't really support Pentax, so I don't really see why I should support them by giving them my money.

A chicken and egg problem?

Pentax came first!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

jules

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 06:38
fatspider wrote:
If it's any consolation Jules I sent mine back to SRS and had it back within the week, it must have spent more time in transit than on the workbench.

That helps actually, it really does, back in the days when I was a Nikon Professional Services user, it could be six weeks before they would even assess a lens!, it hurts more of course because I have a small Pentax set up (KP,16-50,50-135,10-17) for the moment at least and the 16-50mm is the one that'll be used the most, so it's the biggest miss?
I was looking forward to having some fun shooting the Pentax alongside my X-Pro2 but it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer for the full enjoyment factor. One thing I will say is the edge contrast focus peaking on the KP is very good and it's getting regular use
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
Last Edited by jules on 17/04/2017 - 06:42

jules

Link Posted 26/04/2017 - 16:41
The lens was collected last thursday evening, SRS got it monday, examined it tuesday and a new lens arrived today, proper customer service, hats off to Doug especially, for helping me keep the faith!
Hopefully things will go better with this lens, this weekend!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Northgrain

Link Posted 26/04/2017 - 18:25
Glad this was sorted, and so efficiently! Just shows, SRS eh
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

jules

Link Posted 26/04/2017 - 20:37
It's funny really, you get used to so so customer service and you only realise it when you return to something good. Not been around Pentax for a couple of years and so had kind of forgotten what dealing with SRS was like. Now I remember and I couldn't be happier.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 16/05/2017 - 19:53
Well 3 for 3
My second new 16-50 has sleepy autofocus, needs the old focus ring twist to wake up the AF.
First one I owned suffered and SDM failure, No 2 Just wouldn't focus at all.
Now we have No3 which brings me up to date.
Question, does the sleepy vibe cure itself with use?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/05/2017 - 20:22
Let's hope so Jules. I think many Pentax photographers would welcome some nice new updated *zooms with HD coatings and DC focusing!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2017 - 22:04
My 50-135 has developed the 'sleepy focus'. I hark back to a previous thread where it was suggested the issue is not the motor, but a capacitor (or capacitors) which has to fully charge to make the focus motor operate. This makes sense to me because my 50-135 'wakes' up after the camera has been switched on for about 30 seconds. Once it has woken up, it works normally with no hesitation or focus issues.

I'm sure there are things Pentax don't tell us about this, but I think the motors are probably not the issue. There are just too many reports of this occurring even with the latest motors, which we had been led to believe had been re-designed to avoid such problems. I can't believe John's perpetual dismissal of this as just 'percentages' of failure; the fact that so many of these SDM lenses fail after so many years of production is ridiculous. It's a flawed design, which is a crying shame because the optics are superb.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

jules

Link Posted 17/05/2017 - 08:19
Interesting David, I was just reading your post and the KP was sat on the computer desk with the 16-50 attached, where it had been since last night, so I switched it on and waited for about half a minute to try the focus and BINGO! Perfect! It had not done that for all of the previous tests where I just switched the camera on and tried to focus straight away, also focusing on a near then far subject a couple of times seems to wake it up slightly quicker, as well as using the quickshift to get the focus into the right area, this lens is latest production straight from Pentax/Ricoh, if it persists I think as a Landscape shooter I'll live with it because this one is optically a keeper but if it gets any worse it'll go back!
As you say the glass in all of them is super (60-250 aside, just my personal feeling, that it's a bit Meh...)
As for dismissal of the flaws...
“Scientology always has been a game of power and control. L. Ron Hubbard was the ultimate con man, and it's hard to figure out how much of Scientology was an experiment in brainwashing and controlling people, and how much of it was truly intended to help people.”
― Jenna Miscavige Hill, Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape

I WANT TO BELIEVE...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 17/05/2017 - 08:29

jules

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 08:44
I wonder if when you send em off to (Johnstones?) they come back with much more "alert" focusing ? Maybe they use components from this decade?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

davidstorm

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 19:06
I would love to hear from a Pentax engineer who knows the truth about this. I have a fairly logical brain and try to think things out. I'm also quite good at fixing all manner of electrical and mechanical items, although I don't have qualifications in this. There is a common theme running through the failure reports, which is that lenses tend to fail more when they are not used for long periods. Also they tend to wake up after being placed on a camera which is then switched on and left on for a while. That doesn't square with a motor issue, but it does square with a dependence on capacitors which have lost some of their ability to hold sufficient charge.

Come on you Pentax engineers, tell us the truth - it isn't the motors is it?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

wvbarnes

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 20:44
Whatever it is, clutch, circuitry, capacitors overheating I've read, nothing official.

Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh have had this problem for nearly a decade, but never resolved it never mind acknowledge it. The prime (roomier inside) 55mm 200mm and 300mm lenses do not seem to have had a problem so perhaps it is simple overheating causing a faulty capacitor charge.It should have been fixed.

I've gone for the 12 - 24mm wide zoom (last planned APS-C for replacement on roadmap), the 40mm pancake (also screw drive) and the new 55 - 300mm PLM (not yet tested long term). I would be very dubious about buying SDM again although my 300 F4 star was fine while i owned it (made in 2008 I think)

davidstorm wrote:
I would love to hear from a Pentax engineer who knows the truth about this. I have a fairly logical brain and try to think things out. I'm also quite good at fixing all manner of electrical and mechanical items, although I don't have qualifications in this. There is a common theme running through the failure reports, which is that lenses tend to fail more when they are not used for long periods. Also they tend to wake up after being placed on a camera which is then switched on and left on for a while. That doesn't square with a motor issue, but it does square with a dependence on capacitors which have lost some of their ability to hold sufficient charge.

Come on you Pentax engineers, tell us the truth - it isn't the motors is it?

Regards
David

jules

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 12:08
To, Bill, I was soo close to just getting the 20-40 F2.8-4 LTD or the 16-85 F3.5-5.6 but I didn't, I'm going to pick up the 20-40 anyway down the road but as I'm a filter user the 16-50 jives well with my 12-24 and my 50-135 now has a 67-77 ring on it and a 77mm lens cap, I use it the least and I find the filter fings and the lens rings always get locked together, and you can never get em apart again straight away when you need to, so it's the path of least resistance. Had the lens out in the field for a bit yesterday and it performed pretty flawlessly but then it should as it is suposed to be brand new from Pentax/Ricoh and their latest stock but no one is telling how long they've had it of course.

I don't see me replacing a 12-24 even if they do replace it, Bill. Always did like the 12-24, wondering if the 70-300 thats supposed to be coming will be a Tamron rebadged, that'll likely be the last thing I'll add.

My March 2016, X-Pro2 has spat the dummy out now so I'm using Pentax fully again now I guess, I think it's just out of warranty (Can't remember if it was one year or two?). So I think, I'll just not bother getting it repaired, as it's not exactly a looker anymore and I doubt I could flog it. I might add another KP or the K3II replacement but not if it's £400 more than the KP...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 19/05/2017 - 12:09

jules

Link Posted 08/06/2017 - 17:05
Lens number three, in this now trilogy is probably going back!
Alternatives will be the 16-85mm and the 20-40, so can you give me your opinions on the optics in real world use of either of these two, as I think I've given the 16-50 a fair crack this time around! Wondering if it's not something to do with interaction with the KP? None of my other lenses do it, so the 16-50 is going off the radar which is a shame as I really like the lens. Leaning twoards the 16-85 and I'll buy two or three ltd lenses to get back the lens speed where required.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.