Well what D'you know???

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 20:11
Anyway Jules .... 20-40mm is a fine lens.

Not as good as my 8 year old (still working SDM) 16-50mm f2.8 though
. My Flickr

Algernon

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 20:13
The D500 looks a bit too buggy for me The new D510 looks more like it although they still haven't got an Infra-Red remote

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 21:05
Algernon wrote:
The D500 looks a bit too buggy for me The new D510 looks more like it although they still haven't got an Infra-Red remote

--

I believe others are with you on that. the grass isn't always greener but as this isn't the place to discuss their problems I'll leave it for others!
http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d5d500-blog/nikons-outstanding-d500-fix.ht...
Get the D500iis
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/06/2017 - 21:33

jules

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:01
Mike-P wrote:
It really doesn't mean much to me as I, like a lot of other Pentax users have bought into a second system purely to bypass what is possibly Pentax's only (but still major) weakness. I am lucky that I can afford 2 systems but a lot of others can't and so moved to a marque that can do what they want ... Pentax lost a lot of customers because of that and still do even now.

However your question was:

JAK wrote:
What is it that anyone would want extra from a K3iii that either doesn't already exist or couldn't be added with a firmware update to the K3ii ?

Danny gave you what he (and a lot of other users) want .... which in my book is a direct answer to your question.

Mike-P wrote:
It really doesn't mean much to me as I, like a lot of other Pentax users have bought into a second system purely to bypass what is possibly Pentax's only (but still major) weakness. I am lucky that I can afford 2 systems but a lot of others can't and so moved to a marque that can do what they want ... Pentax lost a lot of customers because of that and still do even now.

Mike-P wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="JAK"] Would a K3iii at D500 / K1 prices sell in sufficient quantities to cover its development?

Now that's another question all together., I probably wouldn't go for one now.

I must admit when Pentax announced the K1 I thought that all the people that had been moaning for years about the lack of full frame would suddenly disappear into the wilderness clutching their money bags while muttering something about "my precious". But I was proved wrong and I have been amazed how many have actually bought one.

I also don't think Pentax lenses are up to the job of coping with something like the speed of the D500 autofocus system and besides, IMO it's too late now so they may as well concentrate on what they are good at which is a solid, weather resistant body with most of the bells and whistles priced a notch below their competitors.

All correcto Mike! Unless they could provide a complete new raft of crop and full frame lenses with PLM/or quicker DC style focusing and Using the depth information for driving the focus motors to the predicted point, there is simply no point in doing it, no one is going to dump 10 years of Nikon and Canon bodies and glass that can for a Pentax that maybe can but only with "These three new lenses" "Insert new yet to be dreamt of lenses of your choice".
Secondly, If you want to start adding depth info and superior tracking performance to your focus algorithms, you better have a bloody good lawyer or be prepared to stump up some mucho wonga to Canikony Corp...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 14/06/2017 - 22:01

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:01
JAK wrote:
Algernon wrote:

--

I believe others are with you on that. the grass isn't always greener but as this isn't the place to discuss their problems I'll leave it for others!
http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d5d500-blog/nikons-outstanding-d500-fix.ht...
Get the D500iis

You do realise that this is a MULTIPLE SDM failure thread don't you!?

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook
Last Edited by Unlocker on 14/06/2017 - 22:02

jules

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:13
Unlocker wrote:
You do realise that this is a MULTIPLE SDM failure thread don't you!?

Yeah my third one goes back tomorrow, now I have to decide if I want to keep my 50-135mm!

I simply don't need a D500 esque camera anymore the chances of me getting down to the south of the country to ever shoot an airshow are zero, pity, used to love doing that as well as shooting the road bikes at Dundrod and Portrush for classic bike and MCN but those days are over, it would cost the price of a new lens just to go down there and stay for a weekend!:
Nor do I need 36Mp nor the boat Anchor weight of a K1, Simply not convinced anyone does really (Where's me hard hat).

Mike-P wrote:
Anyway Jules .... 20-40mm is a fine lens.

Not as good as my 8 year old (still working SDM) 16-50mm f2.8 though

Yeah! I envy you that!
The problem is with that lenses interaction with the KP I think but since the SRS crew told me they're entire stock all do it, I'm happy it's not just my multiple samples

Real sad to see you go Unlocker but you've just got to do what you've got to do...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

jules

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:17
Algernon wrote:

--

Seen the new D520 and the Sony A9x and the Canon 5Dmk 5D
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:18
Did SRS try them with different (non KP) bodies Jules?
. My Flickr

jules

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 22:21
Mike-P wrote:
Did SRS try them with different (non KP) bodies Jules?

None of the 16-50mm lenses have problems on anything other than the KP Mike.
Weird thing is my 50-135mm is brilliant on the KP most reponsive AF I've ever had out of a Pentax
Responsive but not fast that is...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 14/06/2017 - 22:22

Algernon

Link Posted 16/06/2017 - 18:06
Can't the ROM be hacked on these to make them screwdrive?

--

Algi

jules

Link Posted 16/06/2017 - 19:47
Algernon wrote:

--

Yep it can Algi and sometimes I feel that all lenses should still be screwdriven, noisey but it always seemed to work?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

RobL

Link Posted 17/06/2017 - 07:55
jules wrote:
Algernon wrote:

--

Yep it can Algi and sometimes I feel that all lenses should still be screwdriven, noisey but it always seemed to work?

Hmmm, noisily and fruitlessly hunting back and forth whist the subject has got bored and flown away!

Algernon

Link Posted 17/06/2017 - 09:19
Better than running after a building with a MF tilt shift lens and the sun setting fast

I wonder how many mountains, hills, trees and forests have run or flown away from jules

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/06/2017 - 09:20

layingback

Link Posted 17/06/2017 - 09:32

But surely this could, and should, be an option, on the top-of-the-line camera bodies at least?

Preferably by lens, but even global would act as a viable 'let me finish this shoot' mode.
My PENTAX Page

RobL

Link Posted 17/06/2017 - 16:08
layingback wrote:

But surely this could, and should, be an option, on the top-of-the-line camera bodies at least?

Preferably by lens, but even global would act as a viable 'let me finish this shoot' mode.

The mechanics in the lens would be totally different, and the screw thread would create resistance to the electronic motor slowing it right down and contributing another failure factor.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.