Well what D'you know???

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 16:41
What is it that anyone would want extra from a K3iii that either doesn't already exist or couldn't be added with a firmware update to the K3ii ?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/06/2017 - 16:41

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 17:08
JAK wrote:
What is it that anyone would want extra from a K3iii that either doesn't already exist or couldn't be added with a firmware update to the K3ii ?

A coffee maker?

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 17:24
JAK wrote:

A focussing system with tracking / predictive performance similar to a D500, that would have stopped me switching systems.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 17:38
Unlocker wrote:
JAK wrote:

A focussing system with tracking / predictive performance similar to a D500, that would have stopped me switching systems.

Fair enough. Is there anything the K3ii does that the D500 doesn't?

OK I can think of several. The K3ii has a built in GPS, it has a higher resolution sensor, its got pixel shift resolution, sensor stabilisation, and its cheaper!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/06/2017 - 17:44

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 17:46
JAK wrote:
Unlocker wrote:
Quote:

OK I can think of several. The K3ii has a built in GPS, it has a higher resolution sensor, its got pixel shift resolution, sensor stabilisation, and its cheaper!

Which is all a bit pointless if you want a focussing system with tracking / predictive performance similar to a D500.
. My Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 17:57
Mike-P wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:
JAK wrote:

Which is all a bit pointless if you want a focussing system with tracking / predictive performance similar to a D500.

I'm not disputing that, but while that means much to you it may not matter to everyone. We're in danger of denigrating a camera when it might for some be the best option, especially those on a budget.

I'm sure one member here will suggest video capabilities but Pentax have confirmed that could be improved with a firmware update. To be honest I'd prefer a firmware update than having to buy a new camera that could have been simply improved with a firmware update (think K-30 to K-50.)
Who knows, perhaps the K3ii's AF could be improved via firmware if the right person knew how to code it.
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 18:03
If they do release a K3 eye-eye-eye it will be purely to sell the KP

Touch of genius bringing out the KP in order to shift a boatload of K3ii's soon sorted out the people that said don't buy a K3ii because the low light performance isn't as good as a K-5

The KP has good low light performance but people don't want to pay for it until a more expensive camera gets released. Then they will panic buy KP's

Other manufacturers and portrait photographers have been selling like this for years Nobody buys the most expensive. It's just there to make the lower priced stuff look cheap

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 14/06/2017 - 18:09

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 18:16
It really doesn't mean much to me as I, like a lot of other Pentax users have bought into a second system purely to bypass what is possibly Pentax's only (but still major) weakness. I am lucky that I can afford 2 systems but a lot of others can't and so moved to a marque that can do what they want ... Pentax lost a lot of customers because of that and still do even now.

However your question was:

JAK wrote:

Danny gave you what he (and a lot of other users) want .... which in my book is a direct answer to your question.
. My Flickr

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 18:20
JAK wrote:
Unlocker wrote:
Quote:

None of which is any good if you want to get moving targets flying straight at you in focus. You asked what anyone would want, so I answered, honestly.

There are loads of other things like 200 shot buffer, multiple programmable buttons to easily switch between focus modes instantly, flippable LCD etc. etc. You could add lens options to that list too, I have a 400mm f2.8 which you just cannot get for a K-3 and had a 120-300 f2.8 as well. My 70-200 is 15-20% sharper and over half a kilo lighter etc.etc. These might not mean anything to you, but they do mean a hell of a lot for me.

If the K-3 is right for you, great, it's a fantastic camera, I know, I've had both models. It wasn't right for me so I bought something else that was and I'm now consistently getting shots that I just couldn't get before.

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 18:29
I can see all you mean, but for the privilege of having the extras you need you're paying double the cost. If that's what it takes and you need them, so be it. For the manufacturers it must be a bit of a gamble where they wonder if people really would pay that extra cost to have those features. Would a K3iii at D500 / K1 prices sell in sufficient quantities to cover its development?
John K

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 18:41
JAK wrote:
I can see all you mean, but for the privilege of having the extras you need you're paying double the cost. If that's what it takes and you need them, so be it. For the manufacturers it must be a bit of a gamble where they wonder if people really would pay that extra cost to have those features. Would a K3iii at D500 / K1 prices sell in sufficient quantities to cover its development?

To get the right tool for the job, you have to pay for it and the D500 proves that people will pay too.

Would a K-3iii make sense at D500 prices? Probably not to be honest, as part of the autofocus problem is having the lenses to keep up with it.

There are plenty of reasons and options for an action / wildlife photographer to switch from Pentax but no compelling reason for others to switch to it.

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 19:38
JAK wrote:
Would a K3iii at D500 / K1 prices sell in sufficient quantities to cover its development?

Now that's another question all together., I probably wouldn't go for one now.

I must admit when Pentax announced the K1 I thought that all the people that had been moaning for years about the lack of full frame would suddenly disappear into the wilderness clutching their money bags while muttering something about "my precious". But I was proved wrong and I have been amazed how many have actually bought one.

I also don't think Pentax lenses are up to the job of coping with something like the speed of the D500 autofocus system and besides, IMO it's too late now so they may as well concentrate on what they are good at which is a solid, weather resistant body with most of the bells and whistles priced a notch below their competitors.
. My Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 19:49
Unlocker wrote:
To get the right tool for the job, you have to pay for it and the D500 proves that people will pay too.

Would a K-3iii make sense at D500 prices? Probably not to be honest, as part of the autofocus problem is having the lenses to keep up with it.

There are plenty of reasons and options for an action / wildlife photographer to switch from Pentax but no compelling reason for others to switch to it.

That depends what one's priorities are. For some a good quality 'budget' camera (if 800 is budget!!) that can use one's existing lens collection makes more sense than paying double for features that don't really matter (to them.) It's a shame that Pentax can't provide what you require but what they do provide is fine for many. The capabilities of current cameras of any flavour far exceed what was around donkey's years ago, but for those that 'slummed it' back in the day don't feel the need to empty bank accounts for cameras with features they've never missed. The K-1 was different as those who used to use FF wanted it back in digital without switching brands. If someone has bought into Pentax for its super fast tracking focus capabilities they've bought into the wrong brand. It's a bit like buying a small hatchback car when they really wanted a supercar then blame the hatchback for not not being able to accelerate to 60mph in two seconds.
There are those who've gone the other way and bought into the 645 system instead. One really has to slow down to use that system!

I think a further question is required, why did those who bought into the Pentax system and jump ship get a Pentax system in the first place when it clearly didn't provide what they needed? There must have been some attraction.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/06/2017 - 20:01

RobL

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 20:00
Unlocker wrote:

How about probably the best landscape camera on the market today? Not my words but a review of the K1 when launched.

JAK

Link Posted 14/06/2017 - 20:03
RobL wrote:
Unlocker wrote:

How about probably the best landscape camera on the market today? Not my words but a review of the K1 when launched.

In actual fact, many have done.
Also, the backward compatibility with older items is a huge plus, albeit that can make high performance modes harder if not impossible to achieve. Perhaps one can't have it both ways. If Pentax ditched the K mount for a performance version I reckon they'd loose more users than they'd gain. with KAF4 and other tweaks though perhaps they'll get there regardless.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/06/2017 - 20:08
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.