Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Same old story - where is Pentax?

jemx99
Posted 02/10/2015 - 21:50 Link
Same old story I know but on holiday at the moment (in Santorini actually) and visited the capital today. Loads of camera's around but 90% where probably Canon. There were others, noticed a few Sony but no Pentax what so ever! Did not see a lot of Nikon either to be honest but worried about the lack of any Pentax - hope our brand can continue.
pezking
Posted 02/10/2015 - 22:00 Link
Success is relative. Just because Pentax's market share is small, doesn't mean they aren't succeeding to a sufficient extent to a) keep in business and b) make a profit for their owners.

It means their r&d budget is probably smaller, as is their marketing budget, and as a result it's harder for them to take market share from the big players.
50mpCMOS
Posted 03/10/2015 - 05:15 Link
Pentax has a marketing department?

There is no way in the world it could add to perhaps ten employees throughout all of Europe, another (maybe) ten throughout the americas, but no more than forty people worldwide for Pentax marketing.

Throughout a majority of the world, imagine how many stores do not market Pentax on their shelves.

As for actually spotting a Pentax in the wild... The entire Pentax company (for cameras) amounts to less than FIVE PERCENT. Difficult to believe that less than one in twenty people will even use one.
stu62
Posted 03/10/2015 - 05:17 Link
pezking wrote:
Success is relative. Just because Pentax's market share is small, doesn't mean they aren't succeeding to a sufficient extent to a) keep in business and b) make a profit for their owners.

It means their r&d budget is probably smaller, as is their marketing budget, and as a result it's harder for them to take market share from the big players.

but pentans biggest problem is comunication with there customers ie there is none
jemx99
Posted 03/10/2015 - 07:04 Link
What surprised me was also the lack of Nikons, yes there were some but the Canons were by far the most predominant.
richandfleur
Posted 03/10/2015 - 07:26 Link
It's practically non existent here in New Zealand.

You won't find a Pentax on any major retailer shelf, or even be available to order through them. That alone is pretty weird, given you can order in most every other brand.

Pentax the company seems to not really exist from a customer perspective. Every interaction is driven through an affiliate company/store/service agent.
Algernon
Posted 03/10/2015 - 08:51 Link
How many Leicas did you see
Have you ever seen a Leica shop

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnriley
Posted 03/10/2015 - 09:22 Link
Funnily enough, I have seen a Leica shop, there's one just off St Ann's Square in Manchester. If I wanted Nikon then we've all heard of Gray's of Westminster. If I want Pentax then SRS Microsystems has the works for me, followed by Park Cameras and then a few other independents.

Much of Pentax's activity has been in non-photographic media, such as outdoor events, climbing, walking, wilderness trekking, all that sort of stuff. This is new territory and gives the impression they are looking to broaden the appeal beyond the traditional camera club member.

In the wider world, Pentax are actually quite busy, and their general profile is much higher than say five years ago. They are selling themselves on high quality at a reasonable price, presumably at a level that generates profit, and slowly growing from a solid base. Thus we see new product arriving, in fact almost all the things we have ever asked for.
Best regards, John
vic cross
Posted 03/10/2015 - 09:22 Link
See my previous post "Rare Breed"

Comment Image

It was the Shetlands.
This is genuine Japanese.
CHEERS Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Edited by vic cross: 03/10/2015 - 09:25
johnriley
Posted 03/10/2015 - 09:27 Link
You've started something there Vic!
Comment Image

Sue looking out at the Ribbleshead Viaduct, armed with her Pentax.
Best regards, John
vic cross
Posted 03/10/2015 - 09:27 Link
If you look for Pentax Pro Dealers in the UK then you'll find quite a few.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
vic cross
Posted 03/10/2015 - 09:30 Link
Hi John. Yes I hope so. come all of you with photos of people using "PENTAX" cameras.
CHEERS Vic.
Gwyn
Posted 03/10/2015 - 10:26 Link
I don't tend to photograph fellow Pentaxians, but I do see a few around.
Last year in California we met or saw several, and had a great conversation with a K3 owner at Crater Lake (yes I do know that is in Oregon!).
The year before, on the Hurtigruten there were at least three other Pentax users besides me and His Nibs. Plenty of iPad users too, taking all their photos with their tablet .

This year we have been on mostly short trips, to less touristy places in Germany and France, but even then I have come across a couple of Pentaxians.

Interestingly at my niece's wedding the photographers used multiple brands of camera, including a couple of Nikons and Sonys but also a K3 II. No Canon.
wvbarnes
Posted 03/10/2015 - 10:34 Link
Oer 80% of their sales in Japan I gather. As long as the system I've bought into keeps going I'm happy.
A Pro friend, my son and my son in law all Pentax owners so that's four more of us. I tend to photograph all them without their camera
davidtrout
Posted 03/10/2015 - 11:02 Link
Whenever a steam locomotive turns out to haul a heritage train on British main lines hordes of photographers turn up to grab the best positions. My impression is that there are loads of Canons, slightly fewer Nikons, then Pentax, Sony and Olympus in roughly equal numbers. I've seen quite a lot of older Pentax cameras from film days still in use - perhaps steam train enthusiasts are nostalgic by nature.
The worrying trend is for those huge lap top type devices being brandished in tight spaces, blocking the view of more serious photographers trying to get decent shots.
David

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.