Good old Jessops

davidtrout

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 15:45
There's been a lot on this forum recently about camera stores ignoring Pentax or running them down to sell Canons.
Jessops in particular used to get a lot of stick largely because of their total indifference to Pentax. Since their renaissance I've noticed a big change in attitude at their new, larger store in Gateshead's MetroCentre. I've commented previously on their dedicated Pentax stand there alongside the usual Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus displays.
On Saturday I popped in to buy a carrying case for my recent new tripod. The first member of staff I saw was wearing a Pentax t-shirt. Then as I was checking out tripod cases I saw him dealing with customers at the Pentax stand and doing a good selling job on the Pentax models. A young woman was obviously torn between a new Canon and a new Pentax. He ran through the merits of each model fairly, obviously the two models had similar specification and comparable price. I then heard him say something along these lines: 'Pentax have to work harder than Canon to sell and their models and this one has built in shake reduction and weather sealing. The Canon doesn't.'
I couldn't see which Pentax DSLR he was handling but it was one with an articulated rear screen so it wasn't like my K30, K5 or K3 and I don't know which camera she eventually bought but I reckon Jessops on Tyneside are doing a good job on behalf of my favourite camera firm.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

johnriley

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 16:28
Good to hear that David, and good to hear that some Pentax product training has arrived at Jessops.
Best regards, John

stu62

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 17:30
johnriley wrote:
Good to hear that David, and good to hear that some Pentax product training has arrived at Jessops.

just so indiffrent in the stores jessops need to do more on staffs atitudes towards customers across the board you go to places like bristol and basingstoke you cant fault them on customer service you go to reading and they are the most aragent staff i have come across

OldTaffy

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 18:04
The last time that I looked, the local (Cambridge) branch of John Lewis still did not have any Pentax model on display. I commented on this once to one of the sales staff, but he seemed to have no interest in knowing about some of the advantages that Pentax dslr cameras offered. I see that the John Lewis online catalogue does include several Pentax models, but I have never seen one in my local branch.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 19:05
Pentax rep in situ in Kingston on Thames - good range of cameras and lenses available
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

michaelblue

Link Posted 20/10/2015 - 20:36
One Pentax K50 stuck in the corner of jessops in Shrewsbury. They might just as well not have bothered!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Roscoe

Link Posted 22/10/2015 - 17:27
I thought Jessops were deceased long ago!

wvbarnes

Link Posted 22/10/2015 - 17:35
Our Chesterfield Jessops is still empty as is our (lease ended) London Camera Exchange. John Lewis in Sheffield had a red K50, a K3 in the bottom of a case and no extra lenses. They list current models on their website which you can collect but not try out in store without paying up front. Jessops in Meadowhall apologised but said they were too small for Pentax stock. They sold most everything else though!

There is a trend (also followed by Dixons/Currys/Pc World brand) it seems to list current on web shops but use retail stores for the leftovers. That is if you have any retail stores.

carmagw

Link Posted 23/10/2015 - 20:17
wvbarnes wrote:
John Lewis in Sheffield had a red K50, a K3 in the bottom of a case and no extra lenses. They list current models on their website which you can collect but not try out in store without paying up front.

I was in there the other week, think the red K50 kit was a return and on offer, I did see a DA55-300 WR and the DA50 1.8 in the cabinet although there was no big Pentax branding to highlight these.

Regards

George
Last Edited by carmagw on 23/10/2015 - 20:17
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.