Pentax/Ricoh putting prices up

nass

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 16:36
As I understand it camera shops are hit by all sorts of woes at the moment

- accessories are cheapier from China from ebay so sell less in shops
- compacts which used to be pile em high sell em cheap are declining because of phone cameras
- there's a bit of a recession on so people don't have as much spare money
- instead of high street shops now having a catchment area with inevitable trade, they now have online competition... Which doesn't have their high street rent costs
- on top of that there are supply issues and exchange rate issues

So I can see it's hurting. But I'd also argue that camera shops don't always help themselves that much

- I haven't seen much innovative marketing from them. When I open AP it's always the same price lists, why don't they do more like intelligent user bundles, bundles with training hours, landscape photography 'cam plus 3 lens plus tripod plus filters plus books plus software' packages, user loyalty cards, try and buy schemes, creative financing etc. The rest of us are doing that and they need to catch up.
- I know people mourn the loss of the high street but being in sales and marketing myself I do think the high street is a bit lazy. As in it expects trade because it's there. Like it or not, the high street is going to have to realise that it needs to offer something more, because online retailers are also there. And this isn't going to go away.
- I don't entirely blame the high street cam shops though because I think they get handed a fairly rotten deal from some cam companies in the first place. I mean I don't get a feeling that for example Pentax really takes usergroup or feature feedback into much account when it developes new products, I think it's more a case of 'this new product is what we think will sell, here it is. I don't remember too many people asking for a Q or for a OVF-less K-01

Maybe we're all just going to have to get used to the idea that our hobby will become ever more niche, ever more expensive and therefore some brands will surely drop out the race.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

johnriley

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 16:40
Quote:
I don't remember too many people asking for a Q or for a OVF-less K-01

Actually, they did. The cry was very vociferous at some points, starting with the desire for a "digital 110" which is p-retty much what we've been given.

A CSC that takes K mount lenses was also very high on the wants list.
Best regards, John

dougf8

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 16:59
is that "be careful what you wish for"?

so when thinking wishfully out loud we need to utter in the same breath, "and cost a reasonable amount" or "and not be a chunky yellow brick".
Lurking is shirking.!

nass

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 16:59
CSC, yes, I certainly saw some noise about that, especially with others doing similar.. But Q, with those sensor specs at that pricepoint? There's always been a lot of 'small is nice, Pentax is good at it', but specifically this small with this tiny a sensor and that pricepoint?!? Must be before my time
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

foneypony

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 17:30
nass wrote:
CSC, yes, I certainly saw some noise about that, especially with others doing similar.. But Q, with those sensor specs at that pricepoint? There's always been a lot of 'small is nice, Pentax is good at it', but specifically this small with this tiny a sensor and that pricepoint?!? Must be before my time

Let me tell you, the Q performs very well for such a small camera. Video is very good too.
Lets face it, it was made for the home market, where, it has done very well.
K-01, mmmmmmmmm. Design piece!! Again, performs well.

I'm sure when they get through the Hoya stuff things will improve.

Mannesty

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 22:00
foneypony wrote:

If the camera retailers make soooo much money, why are so many going out of business?

Greedy landlords is one answer.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

nass

Link Posted 20/04/2012 - 14:45
foneypony wrote:
Lets face it, it was made for the home market, where, it has done very well. K-01, mmmmmmmmm. Design piece!! Again, performs well.

Well, without going off on a big old rant, it's that "home market" bit that concerns me. Pentax is a great brand when it does a 'photographer's product' ie 645D, K-X, K-5. But when it does its thing of 'we have to make it slightly different' at the cost of 'what the photographer wants' then maybe I think it goes off the rails a little bit myself.

Ya know, honestly not saying other stuff is 'awful', just think the new product development team or whoever decides what they make is overly optimistic about making a big sale with a slightly whacky cult product rather than focusing on making its primary constituency happy. As in, with the Q, a bit of a hmmm sensor to accomodate small/trendy, the K-01, all the emphasis is on how it looks rather than the practical features people actually need. I might have bought the K-01 but without a VF, I can't even take pics of my boy playing rugby... sadly just not worth it for me =(.

foneypony wrote:
I'm sure when they get through the Hoya stuff things will improve.

Yep, let's hope for "photographer's" products ahead, solid functionality in bodies that are good value for money and are durable whetever the elements throws at us!

Frogherder

Link Posted 20/04/2012 - 15:41
Quote:
Greedy landlords is one answer.

One of the local shopping centres is reputed to increase the rents of remaining tennant when one drops out, this might be easily absorbed by larger shops but the smaller ones (and camera shops have to be, generally, included in this group) are then put under further pressure.

Bernard
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.