Pentax K-01

Algernon
Posted 01/02/2012 - 16:25 Link
Some shots of the rear have been posted Don, but not of
the screen side Could it be articulated? We've
not seen anything special so far. The 4 way looks normal.
There's a mark for Av in the middle of nowhere?

The top LCD is gone..... How much is this camera £200
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Mike-P
Posted 01/02/2012 - 16:25 Link
Even the original 40mm will look better than that.
Algernon
Posted 01/02/2012 - 16:31 Link
The screens just been posted it isn't articulated

Just 6 buttons and 4 way controller on the rear!!
Play button is on the right.

That RED button could be delete?

So there you have it!!! When's the next camera
coming out!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 01/02/2012 - 16:44
Don
Posted 01/02/2012 - 16:45 Link
Algernon wrote:
The screens just been posted it isn't articulated

Just 6 buttons and 4 way controller on the rear!!
Play button is on the right.

That RED button could be delete?
not a deal breaker... I hope it has a RAW or full hd hdmi out though for use with external monitors for video shooting..

as for the red button... definitely video REC button...

I for one will buy this camera by October (will wait for first round of reviews/bug reports) it should be a solid performer, and has the k-5 sensor and electronics.. so mostly it is already debugged, and should have very few if any bugs on the design side, with only the usual first production run quality control issues likely...

I wish Pentax Canada would send me two.. I got an independent film project going right now and would love to test drive this camera on a pro shoot.

come to think of it..they need to release this in a metallic copper color.... totally Steam Punk styled would be incredibly trendy!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 01/02/2012 - 16:52
japers45
Posted 01/02/2012 - 16:56 Link
It is certainly a departure styling wise. I reckon it will look better in the flesh though and from the group shot it may look better in a lighter colour (the yellow one is an acquired taste though!).

If it's a cut down K5 with all the functionality retained (other than the viewfinder) then it it's all good- a great camera presented in a different package. I cant see them picking up many new adopters with this but it should be popular amongst exisitng Pentax Users.

At £500 with the lens I'd be very interested. MMmmm, I'm thinking it will be closer to double that on launch, in which case I'd rather bbq my own face.
Don
Posted 01/02/2012 - 17:02 Link
japers45 wrote:
It is certainly a departure styling wise. I reckon it will look better in the flesh though and from the group shot it may look better in a lighter colour (the yellow one is an acquired taste though!).

If it's a cut down K5 with all the functionality retained (other than the viewfinder) then it it's all good- a great camera presented in a different package. I cant see them picking up many new adopters with this but it should be popular amongst exisitng Pentax Users.

At £500 with the lens I'd be very interested. MMmmm, I'm thinking it will be closer to double that on launch, in which case I'd rather bbq my own face.
ROFLMFAO!!!!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Pentaxophile
Posted 01/02/2012 - 17:04 Link
I think it will be cheap. Adam on the other forum hinted as much, and he has all the details. In reply to the question 'why would anyone buy this?' he said something like 'what are Pentax's main selling points? Backwards lens compatibility and good value compared to the competition' (or something like that).
Edited by Pentaxophile: 01/02/2012 - 17:07
Algernon
Posted 01/02/2012 - 17:08 Link
It is a very cut down K-5.... A lot of the external controls
inc. metering AF/MF etc. look to be missing.

If it doesn't attract new users it will have been a massive flop
The object is to sell more of these than they did K-5's

Masterful stroke recessing the lens, even though a different lens
will look big, it does on a Sony NEX as well so the registration
distance doesn't matter.... no one want's to mess around with an
adapter.

I can't see them getting more than £600 body only. The lens
will probably be another £200

The design reminds me of an SFXn
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 01/02/2012 - 17:11
ChrisA
Posted 01/02/2012 - 17:18 Link
Don wrote:
so mostly it is already debugged, and should have very few if any bugs on the design side
..... bless
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentaxophile
Posted 01/02/2012 - 19:11 Link
Algernon wrote:
Masterful stroke recessing the lens, even though a different lens
will look big, it does on a Sony NEX as well so the registration
distance doesn't matter.... no one want's to mess around with an
adapter
Actually I think even think it may do OK against Sony NEX with regular small primes. Have you seen the size of Sony's fast 50? A real beercan. The FA50mm, and the rumoured upcoming DA50/1.7 are much smaller.
MarkTaylor
Posted 01/02/2012 - 22:26 Link
I think it's a fantastic looking camera, actually. At lot of posters on the other forum are acting like it's so ugly it's the end of the world.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Edited by MarkTaylor: 01/02/2012 - 22:26
Sean282
Posted 01/02/2012 - 22:32 Link
I'd like to get my hands on one first. The K5 in the hand to me just feels so much better than other cameras in and around the same price bracket and then the performance to match. If this is a more rugged but equally impressive camera as the 5 then it would interest me at 500 noup. Could become the camera of choice to adventure sports enthusiasts if it was.
mecrox
Posted 01/02/2012 - 23:29 Link
I like the look of this, a solid design which says camera and photography rather than plastic gadget. But price, features and ease of use will be decisive and those we don't yet fully know. The competition is fierce, so if Pentax don't get those right this model is all too likely to have a difficult life. If the K-01 checks out, though, and my limiteds fully work on it, I could easily see myself buying one. Here's hoping ...
japers45
Posted 01/02/2012 - 23:45 Link
It lacks the oh so popular retro look that could have helped with sales- I think it will out perform the Fuji X100 and the Olympus OMD but I bet it sells in far fewer numbers and that will be because of the styling IMO.

At least they haven't played it safe though.
Don
Posted 02/02/2012 - 03:55 Link
$750.00 us or $900 with 40mm
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo