Old Pentax K-Bayonet lenses on new digital bodies?

stew-art

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:44
With a fresh interest in SLR photography, I'm looking to make the best use (if possible) of a few old Pentax bayonet mount lenses that I used with my old Pentax ME-Super. (I think it was called "K-Bayonet" mount).

Do these fit the modern Pentax digital range (or any other digital camera)? This may affect my buying decision as I upgrade to a new DSLR.

If they don't fit directly perhaps there are adapters that would make them work on other cameras? (Pentax or otherwise.)

If not, then I'll be wondering where best to sell them.

All assistance much appreciated.

Helpful

geordie01

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:49
Yes they will fit on any Pentax DSLR as I also use the old glass and there are some great ones out there.
Welcome to the forum.

Helpful

RayB

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:06
Just a word of caution - there are some K-mount lenses that fit film cameras perfectly, but won't fit on a DSLR. One such example is a Vivitar 70-210 Macro which I've had for many years and can't use in the modern age.

Helpful

MrB

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:24
Following up Ray's cautionary note - be aware that a few of the older non-Pentax K-Mount lenses have a "Ricoh Pin" which might cause the lens to get stuck on the camera body.

Philip

johnriley

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:34
You won't go far wrong with any Pentax lenses and most third party lenses, with the caveats given above.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:52
RayB wrote:
Just a word of caution - there are some K-mount lenses that fit film cameras perfectly, but won't fit on a DSLR. One such example is a Vivitar 70-210 Macro which I've had for many years and can't use in the modern age.

I think RayB is referring to this:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/how-to-fitting-vivitar-28-200mm-f3-5-5-3-...

see my post a few down. It's a problem that's quite easy to fix. The lens I use as an example is a nice one, so certainly worth the effort of modifying.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Gamka

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 13:18
Have a look my post located towards the bottom of the page in: https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-another-dslr-46495/p-1 It has a couple of images using an old lens from pre-MESuper days.

petrochemist

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:24
If you're wanting to use older lenses from before the A series, there is a menu option that will need changing (It's called something like shoot without lens).
The default setting is to only take photo's when the camera can comunicate with the lens, once changed the camera no longer worries if it's can't get a responce from the lens.

The ME-super comes from the time when the A series lenses were just out. Most of the lenses I used with mine were M series (no A setting on the aperture ring), yours might also be a mixture.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

Helpful

MattMatic

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:31
Quote:
see my post a few down. It's a problem that's quite easy to fix. The lens I use as an example is a nice one, so certainly worth the effort of modifying.

I picked up a Vivitar 80-200mm that had this issue. Got it for the massive sum of 1.04 + 4p&p.

Ten minutes to whip off the collar, mark it out, hacksaw & file off the extra lump, paint with permanent marker, and replace the collar again and job done
(DON'T try cutting it when it's on the lens )

Has kept my son going for quite some time!

Just regarding the original question - lenses with an A setting are the easiest to work with. Original K lenses that have no A setting require stop-down-metering on digital. But that's not always a big deal

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 12/12/2013 - 15:32

JonSchick

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 17:04
I enjoy using manual lenses from the same era as your ME- Super. I suspect you probably have SMCM lenses, which work on the new bodies but you use stop-down metering as noted by Matt above. Fine if you are happy to be slow and methodical. But if you would like to use the camera's more automated modes and make life a little easier, SMCA lenses give you everything except autofocus. Personally, I'd be less inclined to make a decision based on old zoom lenses as newer ones tend to outperform them substantially. There are exceptions though (I love my 35-105 SMCA and read good things about the 75-150 SMCM). Old primes are where some real fun can be had...and image stabilised too!

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 17:19
To be honest, unless the lenses are decent quality I wouldn't use them as a reason to buy into Pentax. Using old manual lenses can be fun at times but (for most people) eventually the novelty wears off and you start using the AF glass a lot more.

I use some of my manual lenses on the Canon 7D with an adapter but it's a lot of faffing about and personally I wouldn't recommend it.

If it were me I would just go to your local camera shop, handle a few models, quiz the salesman and then buy whichever feels best to you. If it's Pentax then that's a bonus. If you want to list the lenses here someone will give you an idea of value etc.
. My Flickr

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 18:40
Well I can't agree with all of that - sure, you need to choose carefully, but there's plenty of reviews available of the old lenses to allow a good choice. Many on here surely value the quality, handling, that special 'feel' and the extra physicality of operating the manual lenses on the DSLR bodies? For me there's no 'novelty' about it to ever wear off.

All of my best recent shots have been taken with manual lenses - one an 'A' type (the new Samyang 14mm) and the other an 'M' type zoom. Quality is not an issue as far as I'm concerned, value is impressive, and its a joy to shoot the images with that equipment.

In fact, really, Pentax offer an extraordinary functionality with its 'A' ring setting, to provide auto-exposure control. Reading the Samyang manual for my lens, it appears that this ease of use is not available on any other brand version of the lens. And the extra steps involved in metering with a 'non A' type (setting M mode, using the aperture ring, using the green button for 'stop-down' to get your shutter speed) just add to the fun it all I find. Once practised and perfected it doesn't have to limit you.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 12/12/2013 - 18:53

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 18:56
McGregNi wrote:
Well I can't agree with all of that

LOL, I just knew someone who uses manual lenses would come on here after my post and get all arsey which is why, if you read my post I said "most people". Going from a Pentax Super film camera to digital is quite a jump and at the end of the day having a few "old Pentax lenses" is no reason to buy into a brand which may no longer suit you, far better to try other makes and then decide which feels the most natural in your hands.

Just because this is a Pentax forum it doesn't mean the brand is the be all and end all of photographic equipment.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 12/12/2013 - 18:56

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 19:12
It depends on your budget - for many it would make economic sense to build a system based on what you already have. You'll get a quality AF kit lens anyway for minimal extra outlay, that will allow you to learn all about the newer autofocus features in the digital models, while keeping your familiar lens collection. If they're 'A' types then there's not really any difference in the operation of them on the DSLRs is there?

I probably depends on the exact particular lenses the OP has - stew-art, can you give us some details of your current collection?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 19:19
McGregNi wrote:

I probably depends on the exact particular lenses the OP has - stew-art, can you give us some details of your current collection?

So basically what I said in my first post then

As for economic sense ... if the camera doesn't suit your style, type of photography or you just don't get on with the handling/menu system/button layout then no , economic sense makes not one jot of difference.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 12/12/2013 - 19:23
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.