Old Pentax K-Bayonet lenses on new digital bodies?

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 19:25
I was correcting the (as saw it) overly negative impression your previous post was giving about using manual lenses. You mentioned 'faffing around' on a Canon, I just wanted to stand up for what I see as the special value, and excellent functionality, we are lucky to have with our manual lenses.

I agree, it wouldn't be worth keeping rubbish old lenses that gave poor IQ - but it surely would be worth keeping and learning to use on Digital any good ones.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Gamka

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 19:49
McGregNi wrote:
I was correcting the (as saw it) overly negative impression your previous post was giving about using manual lenses. You mentioned 'faffing around' on a Canon, I just wanted to stand up for what I see as the special value, and excellent functionality, we are lucky to have with our manual lenses.

Exactly. Mount the lens, set to Manual metering, select aperture, focus, press green button to set exposure and CLICK. Not much "faffing around" in that process.

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 20:08
McGregNi wrote:
You mentioned 'faffing around' on a Canon,

As the OP mentioned in his post about using Pentax lenses on other makes with an adapter I presumed he was asking just that. I even put that text in it's own paragraph so that he would not think I was comparing the 2 makes of camera.

Believe me, using other makes of lens on a Canon is "faffing around"
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 12/12/2013 - 20:13

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 20:16
Gamka wrote:
Exactly. Mount the lens, set to Manual metering, select aperture, focus, press green button to set exposure and CLICK. Not much "faffing around" in that process.

Yeah, piece of cake!

But in reality, the only item you list there that is extra to autofocus operation is : ' press green button' - only 1 really. All the others apply to AF as well - you have to mount the lens, set AF.S or AF.C, select aperture, press shutter or AF button to focus ... the same number of steps apart from the green button.

I don't think that extra step on Pentax is much to worry about.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 12/12/2013 - 20:18

kh1234567890

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 20:36
Cheap old manual Pentax lenses seem to work fine for me

SMC Pentax M 135mm f3.5
SMC Pentax M 75-150mm f4
SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4
Flickr Stream

Helpful

stew-art

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 22:39
Thanks, gents, for the generous input. I don't want to start any wars.

My main point was that I might consider a Pentax full frame body if my existing K-mount lenses were an easy option to use, at least to get started. (My old analogue lenses are: SMC-M 50mm; SMC-M 135mm; Tokina 35-105mm macro zoom and I've just inherited a Hanimex (?) 28mm.)

Mike-P makes a fair point about AF (especially for someone whose eyesight is so bad). But budget also comes into it, and I hate to see old lenses become redundant.

I didn't mention that I was recently presented a Canon 500D but am already thinking of moving up to full frame. I guess I'm trying to convince myself to do something I can't really afford right now.

If anyone can give me a reasonable estimate of the value of the above lenses (all pristine) I might sell to help fund buying a new camera+lens.

If there's not much financial benefit, then I'd like to use the K-fits on the Canon for the time being.... if that is possible using an adaptor?

Thanks again.

JAK

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 22:52
If you want full frame then with Pentax you are out of luck as Pentax haven't released one yet (other than film 35mm.)
We're forever hopeful for a digital but nothing confirmed to date.
John K

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/12/2013 - 23:38
As well as Pentax not making a FF camera at the moment the lenses cannot be used on a Canon due to the aperture lever which will hit the mirror of a FF body. As for your lenses, there is probably less than 100 worth in total.

To use them on your 500D do a search on Ebay for a K-mount to EF adapter, go for one with focus confirmation.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 12/12/2013 - 23:42

Helpful

jeallen01

Link Posted 23/12/2013 - 18:58
Re-reading this thread reminded me to dig out an old manual Chinon 50mmm F1.7 like this one (bought mine with a Chinon CE5, which is the only K-mount film body I still have).

Seems quite reasonable, and certainly pretty much as sharp at F2.0 as the 18-135 is wide open at the 50mm setting in low light/close distances on the K-30, but I had some difficulty in getting the centre focus indicator to illuminate at the correct focus point.

Will have to try it out a bit elsewhere - nevertheless for a virtually zero cost (5 for a new lens hood!) addition to the stable, it looks worthwhile

FWIW they seem to be going for about 35 on eBay.

BTW, from what I read in a thread elsewhere, this could be based on an old ALPS design - and that would be some pedigree, if true.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 23/12/2013 - 19:04
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.