Looking to buy another DSLR

JAK

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:41
aadixon wrote:
SO! will all of the "new" lenses that fit my ZX-30 work without a problem on a K3?

Generally yes. Exceptions are lenses that were designed to work on Ricoh film cameras (from the 70's/80's) that look like they have a K mount but have an extra pin that tends to get stuck in one of the mount recesses and can be virtually impossible to remove. This is known as the K/R mount.
Otherwise any old Pentax lens is fine, even M42 screw ones with an adapter along with hundreds of third party ones from the likes of Tamron, Sigma, Chinon... (I could go on all day!) Just avoid the K/R ones unless the offending pin has been disabled. Ironic given that Ricoh now own Pentax, how times change; can't see them reintroducing that pin though!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 10/12/2013 - 21:43

aadixon

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:42
JAK wrote:
aadixon wrote:
(below)This is what it flashes with the older lenses on it OR if I take the lens with the "A ring" off of "A", and put it on another aperture setting (won't shoot with this blinking)

You need to put the dial on M (manual.) When the aperture isn't on A, the lens in effect becomes a non auto lens like the M series that has no electronic communication (allows backwards compatibility with older lenses, and allows newer lenses to be used on older bodies.) Hope that helps!

Ok, I understand the newer lenses can be used on older cameras (like my PZ-10), but an older lens WILL NOT let my camera shoot (Please tell me what I'm doing wrong if it can). My ZX-30 has to have a lens with the a ring communication stuff....If I buy a K3 are there any similar problems like this? Not saying this exact thing will happen. I just need to know if I should get a $500 lens, or if my "a ring" lens will work no problem....I wish I just had a K3 to try this out on.

I think this is just a Pentax problem? My friend has a Nikon DSLR, and she can use pretty much any lens, new or old.
Last Edited by aadixon on 10/12/2013 - 21:43

spinno

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:49
A ring lenses work fine with a K3...I have an old 50mm F2 A lens and it works ok
David

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:53
aadixon wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:
(below)This is what it flashes with the older lenses on it OR if I take the lens with the "A ring" off of "A", and put it on another aperture setting (won't shoot with this blinking)

You need to put the dial on M (manual.) When the aperture isn't on A, the lens in effect becomes a non auto lens like the M series that has no electronic communication (allows backwards compatibility with older lenses, and allows newer lenses to be used on older bodies.) Hope that helps!

Ok, I understand the newer lenses can be used on older cameras (like my PZ-10), but an older lens WILL NOT let my camera shoot. My ZX-30 has to have a lens with the a ring communication stuff....If I buy a K3 are there any similar problems like this? Not saying this exact thing will happen. I just need to know if I should get a $500 lens, or if my "a ring" lens will work no problem....I wish I just had a K3 to try this out on.

I think this is just a Pentax problem? My friend has a Nikon DSLR, and she can use pretty much any lens, new or old.

I find it hard to believe that you cannot use an old manual lens when the mode dial is set to M. Have you tried that? That does work with the digitals (and meters by pressing the green button.) If you leave your ZX-30 on Av and the aperture on something other than A it doesn't know what aperture is set so it isn't able to communicate with the lens and perceives an error.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 10/12/2013 - 21:55

Helpful

spinno

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:54
see this thread re use of different lenses with MZ30
link
David

Helpful

spinno

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 21:57
and I've found this guy's site useful too
link
David
Last Edited by spinno on 10/12/2013 - 21:58

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:08
Looking through the instruction book further it seems that particular model is not able to use some extension tubes and other oddments that do not work with the A setting, so that particular body is crippled to some extent to encourage people to get the ZX-50. If the lens isn't an 'A' one it will not work; I never knew that! However a K-5 or K-3 would be fine with most lenses but if you want to double check show a list for an opinion.
John K

Helpful

aadixon

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:29
Okay so I looked around and evidently the ZX-30 is a "crippled KAF mount", so technically speaking, it's not really a KAF at all, right? I mean, Pentax didn't call it crippled, the users did? So, the K3 can take KAF mounts, but will it take the crippled KAF mount? doesn't say one way or the other...

...I'm a bit over my head. Hopefully someone can make since of this..and I feel dumb. My lens says what type it is on the ZX-30! haha wow!

It's a SMC pentax-FA

Another link explaining Lens types
http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Here some links I found..
For compatibilities charts--> http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

K3 specs-->http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-3.html

BLAH, pentax curse your complicated lens. I still have no idea if they will work properly...
Last Edited by aadixon on 10/12/2013 - 22:37

Blythman

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:37
Don't choose your next camera based upon the lenses you have.

The lenses may have an emotional attachment but they aren't expensive. I chose Pentax because of legacy equipment that I have. I don't use any of it now.

Personal opinion, if you want to shoot predominantly sports or wildlife look elsewhere. For anything else choose Pentax.

But work out what features you would personally like. Then go and hold some cameras that tick the boxes. Choose something that you are comfortable with
Alan

PPG
Flickr

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:40
Basically the newer Pentax digital cameras you are looking at, K3 etc will all work well with older lenses. As has been mentioned before, the one pre requirement is to enable the 'User Aperture Ring' option in the settings, which allows the camera to accept that you'll be controlling the aperture off the lens and not via the camera body settings.

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:40
Good find. That chart takes you up to the K-5, the K-30 and K-01. The K-3 compatibility is 100% identical to those.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 10/12/2013 - 22:40

Helpful

aadixon

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 22:51
JAK wrote:
Good find. That chart takes you up to the K-5, the K-30 and K-01. The K-3 compatibility is 100% identical to those.

Okay, awesome, so they both should work together! I planned on buying a new lens with the K3, but this will save me money! Thanks!

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 23:27
To be honest, just about any of the current range of Pentax DSLR's will meet your requirement. The only exception is the K-500 as it is not sealed as you have wanted.
So, depending on your budget you have the K30, K-50, K-5II, K-5IIs and K-3.
The former four have the same mighty 16MP sensor, the latter has the new 24MP one. All will give you pleasure for years. For example I still have the K-5 mk1 and really not desparate to change yet, although I may get the K-3 in the next 6 months or so, if only to give the K-5 some breathing space.
Which ever Pentax body you choose, you will get a superb camera now, without having to explain why you chose Pentax in the first place.

I hope this helps.
Some Cameras

Helpful

Gamka

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 23:32
I have just put an M 50/1.7 lens from around 1980 on a K20D set to manual mode and focussed "by-eye" at around 1 metre. ISO was set up at 1600 as the room is fairly dim and is only lit with a small 400mm fluorescent strip.

I have placed two images side by side. The ex-camera .jpg files were 2000x3008 **** quality. No post processing except reducing the combined size from 4000x3008 to 2000x1504.

The left hand image was at f1.7 and 1/13 second illuminated by a florescent strip above and to the right and metered using the Green Button.

The second was at f22 (I believe) and the camera's internal flash used with a shutter speed of 1/6 second.

So, no real setting up except finding the old lens and putting the exposure dial to M - a couple of test shots to check it was working and then these two.

All nice and easy. A lens of over 30 years old on a new (ish) digital body. A K5 (and derivatives) or K3 will perform in exactly the same way.

I could have spent time getting the exposure exactly correct and a good DoF on the left image but wanted to demonstrate how simple it is to use the combination. There is good DoF on the right which shows that it will work at all apertures.
Last Edited by Gamka on 10/12/2013 - 23:38

rscoote

Link Posted 10/12/2013 - 23:36
Blythman wrote:

Personal opinion, if you want to shoot predominantly sports or wildlife look elsewhere. For anything else choose Pentax.

For sports (which I shoot a lot of) my personal opinion is if you want to improve on the K-3 then spend a lot more money on a Canon or Nikon bodies and glass but at the same price point as the K-3 all the equivalents from other brands also have limitations for sports. My K-3 arrives next week so I'll see how much better it is at football compared to my K-5 - although in my case technique and creativity may be as much of a limiting factor!

Actually what subjects do you shoot mostly or is it a real mixed bag required for your course?

Roy
My PPG link
K-3, K-5 + D-BG4 Grip, Pentax: FA 50 1.4, DA* 300, Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro HSM II, Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC, Metz 58 AF-1
Last Edited by rscoote on 10/12/2013 - 23:37
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.