Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Prime lenses for K-3

aadixon
Posted 21/12/2013 - 05:28 Link
I know this is might be a common question, but I was wondering what is a good prime lens to buy if I don't own one yet? I typically use my 28-80mm zoom, or my 28-200mm wide angle zoom.

I normally shoot with my ZX-30(crippled KAF), but I will soon be buying the K-3. So, what's a good starter prime lens that fits the K-3?
Thanks,
Aaron
Smeggypants
Posted 21/12/2013 - 06:12 Link
Sigma 30/1.4

Or if you want a stunner wide open, and a stunner stopped down, then find a 2nd hand Pentax A50/1.2
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Fletcher8
Posted 21/12/2013 - 08:00 - Helpful Comment Link
If you are using focal lengths of 28-80mm and 28-200mm, you are going to need to decide which focal length your first prime will cover

Below is my personal list of the primes I have used and could not be without.

The SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM is a superb lens, sharp as a razor and will provide beautiful bokeh effects. This lens is perfect for all kinds of photography and the only downside is it is not weather sealed.

The Pentax DA*55 F1.4 is not cheap but this is one of my favourite Pentax prime lenses, really bright and in my opinion a perfect prime lens for portraits and its weather sealed.
Bokeh effects may not be as creamy as the above Sigma, but I still find them pleasing and I find the focal length of this lens works really well.

In relation to longer reach, the Pentax
DA* 200 F2.8 is a great lens, it renders colour beautifully the images it can produce have a real punch about them.

Pentax makes some great limited primes and I used to own the 35 macro which was a very versatile lens. The Ltd 70mm is also very nice, I lost my first one in the USA and have recently purchased the HD 70mm from a member on this forum. The size makes it packable and it produces some very crisp images with real punch, I just wish it were a stop faster, but I guess if you have the extra cash the 77 would hit the mark?

I am really starting to enjoy using primes, I did used to wonder why they were so talked about and have concluded they are a great balance it you want fast glass at a price that would drain ones wallet if you purchased an equivalent zoom. They do takes some work in understanding their best uses, well for me they have, but there are so many benefits.

You will really enjoy the K3, its a very versatile camera and a joy to use.

Fletcher8
Fletcher8.
caj26
Posted 21/12/2013 - 08:52 Link
I personally own a sigma 28 Manuel lens And a A 50mm Manuel but I bought the plastic fantastic 50mm autofocus lens have got some great portraits with it, it is probably the cheapest af prime available at the moment.
johnriley
Posted 21/12/2013 - 09:10 - Helpful Comment Link
There is a large range of superb Pentax primes, all available new, including the new HD lenses. There are also some lower cost ones in the range, the 35mm f/2.4 is excellent and is the standard lens. The 50mm f/1.8 is also excellent and is a short telephoto, ideal for portraits.

The Limited lenses are of a very high standard both in terms of optical performance and finish.
Best regards, John
JonSchick
Posted 21/12/2013 - 10:04 - Helpful Comment Link
Unless you plan on mainly being a prime lens shooter, I think I`d suggest you upgrade your zooms first. You don`t say who made them but I`d be surprised if the 28-200 was much of a performer on the K-3 and the same may well be true of the 28-80. Neither give you wide angle on APSC. I`d suggest you buy the body with a modern zoom, probably the 18-135 (equiv to your 28-200), and then supplement with one or two primes with many good recommendations in this thread. I`d start either at around 30-35mm ("standard") or buy a nifty fifty, which will be rather good for portraits on a crop sensor.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
MattyH
Posted 21/12/2013 - 16:39 Link
Like yourself I do like primes whatever system I am using,

I have to agree with smeggy I do love my Sigma 30mm f1.4 but it is a big lump of glass,

I tend to travel light at the moment so I have the 21mm f3.2 ltd attached to my camera an awful lot and then the plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 in one of my pockets or my 40mm f2.8 ltd.

Next on my list is the 15mm ltd and a coat with more pockets
BarryE
Posted 22/12/2013 - 17:46 Link
I've just bought a K-3. Before that I'd given up with my DA* 16-50, because I could not get on with it's inconsistency, plus it made me lazy. So I started collecting DA Limiteds - it's addictive.

First I analysed my images and determined what focal length I most used and liked the result of. It seemed like a good idea, but in the end was not that helpful, because I found that the primes were teaching me a different approach - more considered shots and it changed what I was taking. In the end I ended up with a 21, 40 & 70.

These tiny lens are really refreshing to use, the size and weight have become very important to me. Their quality is well documented, but I've come to realise that these lens offer so much more than just that. And then when teamed up with the K-3 the image quality went up another notch (not mine, but the equipment's)

So I'd struggle to say which of the three I have is best. They are all exceptional quality, and a joy to use. Buy one and you'll most likely want another and another...

These lens are, to me, what Pentax is about. Something different. Something a little special, and yes a little quirky. When I see Canon/Nixon owners lugging their massive FFs and enormous glass around, I smile a little to myself wondering if they think size really does matter. Also, reading camera mags and checking the image stats I rarely see primes being recorded - mostly this is because they are from Canon and Nixons, so I suspect this fuels the idea that zooms are the way to go. Not sure I can agree, but I'm still learning ...
Smeggypants
Posted 22/12/2013 - 20:50 Link
MattyH wrote:
Like yourself I do like primes whatever system I am using,

I have to agree with smeggy I do love my Sigma 30mm f1.4 but it is a big lump of glass,

I tend to travel light at the moment so I have the 21mm f3.2 ltd attached to my camera an awful lot and then the plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 in one of my pockets or my 40mm f2.8 ltd.

Next on my list is the 15mm ltd and a coat with more pockets

I use a couple of bum bags for alternative lenses, spare batteries and SD cards. I've also cut two vertical slots in the cases for my 50-135 and Siggy 135-400, to thread the bumbag belts through, so they can easily be carried around two.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
aadixon
Posted 23/12/2013 - 18:45 Link
johnriley wrote:
There is a large range of superb Pentax primes, all available new, including the new HD lenses. There are also some lower cost ones in the range, the 35mm f/2.4 is excellent and is the standard lens. The 50mm f/1.8 is also excellent and is a short telephoto, ideal for portraits.

The Limited lenses are of a very high standard both in terms of optical performance and finish.

So, the $500+ lenses are pretty much a no go for me currently. My next large investment at one time is going to be a Sinar, which won't be for another year or so. Anywho for these two cheaper lenses, does anyone have example photos of what they do?
johnriley
Posted 23/12/2013 - 20:20 Link
I would look at the reviews, but they will do what they should do, that is, provide superb quality images. The optics are first rate, the cost savings come from plastic mounts, no QuickShift and no supplied lens hood.
Best regards, John
DaveHolmes
Posted 24/12/2013 - 12:19 Link
I had a fair sized collection of primes at one point but I scaled it right back to the two (that I had) that I couldn't do without...

FA35mm-f2 & D-FA100mm-2.8-macro...

I also have an M50-1.4 which is great but it's pretty much always attached to my MX and rarely goes out with my K5...

If I had the cash I'd swap out the FA35 for the FA31Ltd but the FA35 is still very good, so I'm in no rush... I'm more likely to pick up a 15mmLtd (or even the 21mmLtd) to be honest.
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Pheo
Posted 25/12/2013 - 13:17 Link
If you did decide to upgrade your zooms, my DA* 50-135mm is performing great on my K3::

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pheo/10654605893/

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.